The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bumped! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20555)

SubaRyu 08-09-2004 08:58 PM

Bumped!

So this morning I was driving to work, and it was horrible traffic as usuall. And when I almost full stopped, I felt some shock. I thought it was tranny or something, but it was like pushed from back. So I looked behind, and this guy was touching my SVX's rear bumper.
I really hated when someone following too close, and this happened this morning:mad:

Good thing is.. NO visial damage or anything. I realized the bumper was pretty tough although that was kinda strong shock when it was hit.

-Ryu

BoondockSVX 08-09-2004 09:11 PM

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=20541

Read this.

Guard-TL- 08-09-2004 09:16 PM

I would slowly get out of my car. Walk over to the offender, politely ask him to step out of his vehicle. And go Vincent (club scene) on his sorry @55.

ensteele 08-10-2004 12:13 AM

And that would accomplish what? :confused:

kmin 08-10-2004 12:22 AM

and i quote...

can't remember who, might've been napa, but..

"it's just a car."

i know that almost sounds like blasphemy, but really. it is.

NikFu S. 08-10-2004 02:26 AM

Re: and i quote...

Quote:

Originally posted by kmin
can't remember who, might've been napa, but..
"it's just a car."
i know that almost sounds like blasphemy, but really. it is.

I'm sure if your hard drive got wiped you wouldn't say "Meh. It's just data".

People like to own nice things and when idiots mess up our nice things we [usually] react instinctively.

Cars are just more important to some people than others.

HighwayUFO 08-10-2004 03:50 AM

Couldn't have said it better NikfuS. I think that the majority of us here have pretty much the same feelings towards our cars.

Keith

kmin 08-10-2004 09:31 AM

sorry, should've clarified. i was responding more to guard tl's comment. i'd be pretty irate if someone bumped me too, but turning violent over a car seems a little extreme.

kmin.

SubaRyu 08-10-2004 09:12 PM

Today, I again, checked my rear bumper that was hit yesterday. Still no visuall damage or anything. Glad my SVX was safe and still in good shape!

If I can have enough time and budget, I wanna fix all of scratches and dents to make my car perfect. I also like to modify my car, but right now, I really want SVX to become perfect condition, like new. Then maybe I can modify my SVX.. but SVX is already great w/o modifiing right??:D

-Ryu

Phoenix_3737 08-10-2004 09:23 PM

are you getting the guy to pay for repairs you should have him pay you on the side for the damage or if you and him have insurance take it up with the insurance

ensteele 08-10-2004 11:28 PM

Doesn't sound like there is any damage. :) Pay for what?

halistan 08-11-2004 06:28 AM

similar thing happened to me

My car was parked in front of my apartment and this large moving truck was trying to turn around behind me (I was inside at the time). Well, he ended up backing into me. He hit so hard that my SVX's front two wheels went up onto the sidewalk (and I had the parking brake on, and mine works very very well) It set the alarm on my car off so of course I went running outside to see what happened and saw the guy looking at my car.

Amazingly enough there was no damage at all. I went ahead and got his company insurance info and took it to the dealership so make sure there was no damage (body, drivetrain or other) and they gave it a clean bill of health. That was 60K miles and 3 years ago. I still haven't seen any evidence of anything being wrong.

The guy that hit me was surprised as me that nothing was hurt. These cars are tanks, what can i say? I would still get it checked out by a professional, just to make sure though.

~Ray

dcarrb 08-11-2004 06:48 AM

Seems I read somewhere recently that the SVX retained the "five mile per hour" bumpers that were for years a Federal requirement; the premise being that a car should be designed so that a bumper impact of up to 5 MPH would inflict no damage, aside form minor scuffing. (I'm thinking the rear bumper standard might have been 2.5 MPH.)

Whack a newer car hard enough to make it jump a curb and the body shop would take a very large bite from your wallet. Consumer Reports uses a hydraulic ram to simulate a 5 MPH impact on the bumpers of the vehicles it tests, and the repair tab is often astonishing.

Another sterling example of the folks in D.C. letting automakers off the hook.

dcb

Guard-TL- 08-11-2004 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kmin
sorry, should've clarified. i was responding more to guard tl's comment. i'd be pretty irate if someone bumped me too, but turning violent over a car seems a little extreme.

kmin.

Oh man.....and I was sooooooooooooooooo serious too :rolleyes: . But you go ahead....lecture me some more.....

ensteele 08-11-2004 08:38 AM

Looks like you are sensitive too. ;) :)