The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Everyone look at this thread... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17277)

GreenMarine 03-17-2004 12:27 PM

Everyone look at this thread...

I recieved a PM from a Moderator today saying that one of my posts was written in an Offensive manner... The post in question (which I can't find at the moment) I forgot my exact words but I said that something was "gay"... If the word "Gay" offends anyone then please let me know... If you are "gay" and are offended by the use of the word then why are you "gay"??? I honestly don't understand... I'm trying to understand why I seem to offend people with my normal conversation... Please let me hear some feedback...... Even though this moderator PM's me all the time when something is wrong with one of my posts, I never hear anything from anyone else... So am I offending anyone else or am I just offending this one person??? Feedback please.... Let me know what is so bad and why we can't take jokes here :confused: :confused: :confused:

:cool:

97legacygt 03-17-2004 12:30 PM

very nive 2,500th post!

shelfy 03-17-2004 12:36 PM

when you say something is "gay", it has very negative connotations. i am gay and generally find it offensive when the word is used to describe something not right. and i will just leave it at that for now since i'm supposed to be working.

GreenMarine 03-17-2004 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 97legacygt
very nive 2,500th post!
I didn't even notice that.. :D:D:D:cool:.... But naa, I just want to findout why everyone is so easily offended... and if people really get offended then why don't I ever hear about it from anyone other than this one MOD??? Please, if I have ever offended any of you now is your chance to tear me a new one... let me have it... I want to know how to not offend you in the future...

wawazat?? 03-17-2004 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX

I didn't even notice that.. :D:D:D:cool:.... But naa, I just want to findout why everyone is so easily offended... and if people really get offended then why don't I ever hear about it from anyone other than this one MOD??? Please, if I have ever offended any of you now is your chance to tear me a new one... let me have it... I want to know how to not offend you in the future...

We (the mods) have elected this one mod to watch you constantly Chris. Think of him as your guardian angel:p :p :p

Todd

GreenMarine 03-17-2004 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by shelfy
when you say something is "gay", it has very negative connotations. i am gay and generally find it offensive when the word is used to describe something not right. and i will just leave it at that for now since i'm supposed to be working.
I guess I can see what ya mean by that... I've just grown up around that word being used to describe certan things... I have nothing wrong with gay people... I actually have had a few gay friends (just friends) in the past... they were cool... I think it is just habbit that I am used to using that word...

Can we get the MODS to make that word one of the **** words??? I don't want to offend people by using it... As we all know the military is a great place for picking up colorful language and words... So even though I don't mean any offense I don't know what else to say...

GreenMarine 03-17-2004 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wawazat??

We (the mods) have elected this one mod to watch you constantly Chris. Think of him as your guardian angel:p :p :p

Todd

Why'd ya do that todd??? Ya know that we had that huge arguement about a year ago... I was thinking that he was coming after me just to be an @$$ or something.... I kinda get a little bit defensive when I talk to him because he is in a position of power now and I am in the same position that I was before...

Seraph 03-17-2004 12:49 PM

I read that a couple of times.

He is just trying to control the thread before it gets out of control.

And in your post, it seems like you were disrespectful towards the new mods as well as homosexual members of the community.

I think all the moderators saw all your threads. It's just my understanding that that particular moderator got to warning you before the rest of them do and once you were warned by one moderator, the rest of them will not warn you again since it's ridiculous to do it over and over again.

I think the moderator is doing his job.

Seraph 03-17-2004 12:56 PM

Quote:

Why'd ya do that todd??? Ya know that we had that huge arguement about a year ago... I was thinking that he was coming after me just to be an @$$ or something.... I kinda get a little bit defensive when I talk to him because he is in a position of power now and I am in the same position that I was before...

Todd was just kidding. I don't think the mods are there to watch a close eye on anyone (not yet anyways). If you do have a particular issue with a mod, PM the other mods as well as one of the admins on your issue.

Just in case you are not aware of it, we do have 3 admins on the site as well.

mohrds 03-17-2004 01:02 PM

Quote:

Why'd ya do that todd??? Ya know that we had that huge argument about a year ago... I was thinking that he was coming after me just to be an @$$ or something.... I kinda get a little bit defensive when I talk to him because he is in a position of power now and I am in the same position that I was before...

He drew the short straw:D You should see who Todd is watching over :eek:

As for the PM, Just so you know, it was discussed among the moderators BEFORE you were sent the PM.

One can say that they are gay or he/she is gay with it describing them in an arbitrary fashion (young/old, white/hispanic, gay/straight). If you use it to describe an extreme (negative connotation in this case), it is perceived as derogatory. If you would have used the term "wawazat??" instead of "gay" to describe your dislike of what the picture showed, you're point would been understood just as well :D

Thinking about the term "straight", does that presume that gay is "crooked" or "bent". I guess "straight" could be offensive too...

Damn this P.C. stuff is tricky.

Doug

ensteele 03-17-2004 01:03 PM

For the record, I would have pulled your post too. Whether you think it is offensive or not, the moderators will pull posts "that can be offensive to some" This is for the good of the network. No one is picking on you. The moderators have different forums that they tend to frequent and will pick up on problems in that area. Hope that helps. :)

mohrds 03-17-2004 01:11 PM

Also, don't feel like you are being singled out. There are many posts that are edited/deleted with a PM going to the author that no one on the board even knows about unless they are the author or a moderator.

Doug

Uncamitzi 03-17-2004 01:17 PM

Naive :confused: ?

GreenMarine 03-17-2004 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Seraph
If you do have a particular issue with a mod, PM the other mods as well as one of the admins on your issue.

Just in case you are not aware of it, we do have 3 admins on the site as well.

I don't have an issue with him anymore... that was over a year ago. I even forgot about what it was that we were arguing over...

What is the Job of the "Admin's???" Are they like the President and Vicepresident and secretary???

GreenMarine 03-17-2004 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds

He drew the short straw:D You should see who Todd is watching over :eek:

As for the PM, Just so you know, it was discussed among the moderators BEFORE you were sent the PM.

One can say that they are gay or he/she is gay with it describing them in an arbitrary fashion (young/old, white/hispanic, gay/straight). If you use it to describe an extreme (negative connotation in this case), it is perceived as derogatory. If you would have used the term "wawazat??" instead of "gay" to describe your dislike of what the picture showed, you're point would been understood just as well :D

Thinking about the term "straight", does that presume that gay is "crooked" or "bent". I guess "straight" could be offensive too...

Damn this P.C. stuff is tricky.

Doug

You bring up a good point Doug... I mean I think about it all the time... If a Gay person could get offended by the word Gay then can I get offended by the word "Straight"??? I don't think so... Because if you get offended by being called something that you are then that would mean that you are ashamed of what you are (In no reffrence to my origional post)... So if I was gay and someone called me gay then I think I would have to just say "yes I am thanks" and walk off... Just like I would if someone said that I was straight... Because you are what you are, right... Screw it what someone else thinks about you... You are you and you don't have to change for anyone... The whole P.C. stuff is tricky... ya never know what might offend someone... I will let everyone in on my secret though...

The only things that offend me are when someone talks bad about the Military that protects them, when someone talks bad about my country (Australia), or when someone calls me a Motherf****r (since my mom dies while I was down here doing my Marine thing... The last of all will earn you an imeadiate @$$ beating... But that is it... You can post almost everything else and I won't mind...