The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Exhaust /O2 sensor question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64378)

gwynethh 07-22-2017 08:54 AM

Exhaust /O2 sensor question

After doing a bunch of suspension work we finally got to move the SVX and discovered an exhaust issue.
Last fall we thought one half (P/S) of the muffler was not passing any gas based on under tip moisture and direct feel. This spring neither side did. Car ran with a big gas leak somewhere. We noted hornets clustering around/entering one tip after our test trip of 200 feet or so. So something plugging the system?

We have a used Stebro system complete from the headers back. System is welded and was cut out about 3" back from the cat. We plan to join it with a coupling and clamps.

We have a 1995 OBD1 system. Exhaust has only two O2 sensors forward of the pre-cats. No other sensors or bungs. No sensor in the cat.

So will we get any CEL codes?
Is it hard to unplug the O2 sensor wiring?

gwynethh 07-25-2017 03:46 PM

Re: Exhaust /O2 sensor question

Got an answer. OBD1 only has the two front O2 sensors so OK for that. Guess we will find out how hard it is to unplug the sensors. Leak is at the rear flange of the main cat and if memory serves it is the same failure point as our '92 had about 1999.

Matt007b 07-25-2017 09:06 PM

sorry just saw this - but I just BARELY did an o2 sensor change on my 92'.

The connectors are the biggest pain for the job.. they're the same type clip for the ignition coils and they're a bit of a pain to get to..I would slide them off the bracket off the car so you can twist the connector around and at least see what you're looking at. The o2 wire has some slack so you can pull up on them a bit because you don't want to stress the wiring harness. A small screwdriver in the right place and the plug will let go.. Subaru designed those clips to never come off on their own and they do a good job of that... :(

The car will run semi ok but probably like crap and will run rich..without them plugged in and I'm pretty sure you'll get a check engine light. Mine were bad with no check engine light and when I pulled the plugs the spark plugs were fouled and wet with fuel..

Also this might save you but.. my car had a major hesitation issue and no check engine light. I threw parts at the car and was about to spend hundreds of dollars on a mass air flow sensor/TPS... someone mentioned that you have to reset the ECU to recognize the new o2 sensors I installed. After I did that the hesitation issue is gone...car runs WAAAY better.. little vibration and I'm thinking the injectors need a cleaning but those o2 sensors can really make your car run like total garbage when they're not working right.

If you do unplug them for a good amount of time and replug them in.. I'd make sure you disconnect the battery for a good 10+ minutes (I let it sit overnight) so the ECU will reset and relearn the mixture or else it'll still run like garbage after you plug them in.

Hope that helps :/ good luck on those connectors..

SURTEESS 07-25-2017 11:41 PM

Hey I need 2 new O2 sensors (mine is 95 OBD1) - I have CEL come on when I have been driving for about 10 min.

Does anyone know the P/N for the sensors (do they both have same P/N) - also what costs would they be?.

TIA.

Blacky 07-26-2017 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SURTEESS (Post 747066)
Hey I need 2 new O2 sensors (mine is 95 OBD1) - I have CEL come on when I have been driving for about 10 min.

Does anyone know the P/N for the sensors (do they both have same P/N) - also what costs would they be?.

TIA.

Bosch #13250 OEM Same part left and right. They are about $45-$50 USD. You might want to confirm that NZ cars use the same O2 sensors as North America.

SURTEESS 07-26-2017 09:20 PM

unsure if NZ uses same as USA - maybe someone else here knows ?.

Shane Hobson, Carl Hoffman, Daniel Parker, Golverine Jackson - what p/n have you used in the past ?.

oab_au 07-27-2017 05:06 PM

We only have the front sensors and they are the same as the US.

SURTEESS 07-27-2017 09:19 PM

Great to hear ....

SURTEESS 08-07-2017 07:02 PM

So my local Suby agent is dicking me about, I got a CEL come on after about 10 min (temperature is up to normal level).
OK so after doing exhaustive (no pun!!) searches on the web, there are places that have Bosch Oxygen Sensor #13250 for sale (US$50 each) - but the postage is the same price to me here Auckland, New Zealand as the sensor !!!.

I need 2 of these + postage, can someone be a buddy and find out how much it would cost to buy & post to me (weight is approx 0.5lbs for 2 sensors) to this address -

Stephen Surtees
7 Tempo Place
Torbay
Auckland 0630
New Zealand

Will use paypal .......just PM me the details etc - TIA

Tireiron 08-08-2017 10:30 PM

What brands do you carry locally? It does not have to be Bosch. I prefer NGK/NTK parts for these cars, but if you can get something locally, they will all work.

Do you have NGK/NTK? The NTK part number is #NTK 24614

Denso is 2343083

Delphi ES10301

acdelco 2131272

walker 25023083

It is the same sensor as a 93-95 Impreza and a 90-94 Legacy (US model years)

SURTEESS 08-09-2017 09:24 PM

thanks for the info - I have a fellow SVXer from the group preparing to send me them from USA.