The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   SVX Parts Wanted (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   WTB Instrument Cluster (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64245)

SVXMAN2001 04-03-2017 03:50 PM

WTB Instrument Cluster

Tach isn't working, hoping replacement with a functioning instrument cluster is the answer.

92 SVX 04-04-2017 04:06 AM

Re: WTB Instrument Cluster

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 (Post 746182)
Tach isn't working, hoping replacement with a functioning instrument cluster is the answer.

You can replace just the tach in the cluster, if you want. I wish I had a cluster witht a working tach, but my extra I took out because the tach was acting strange, it was showing idle of 1200 to 1800, even though the engine was 600rpm, and when reved it would stop at 5k or so instead of showing the revs higher

Blacky 04-04-2017 05:03 AM

I have a working gauge cluster in my parts car. I didn't mention it because the speedo is in km/hr. If the tach and speedo can be separated easily it will work for you.
The car is still buried in a small glacier of snow but it will be raining heavily here for the next 3 days, so it should melt quickly.

SVXMAN2001 04-04-2017 08:55 AM

ok, im interested. id imagine there will be some soldering involved, no? ive read that the stepper motors may be the culprit for what im experiencing.

92 SVX 04-04-2017 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 (Post 746196)
ok, im interested. id imagine there will be some soldering involved, no? ive read that the stepper motors may be the culprit for what im experiencing.

no soldering, you would need to unclip the plastic cover, then unclip the black plastic from the white plastic remove a few screws that hold a circuit strip from the black to the white, then you have access to all the gauge modules, unscrew 3 screws that hold the tach to the main cluster and it drops right out, put the new one in and screw in the screws and snap the black to the white etc etc, reverse of remove
I can take some pictures if it will help?

SVXMAN2001 04-04-2017 10:03 AM

Ok I see what you're saying. But let's think about this. Replacing the tach itself would imply that it is somehow getting stuck or is bent preventing its full range of motion right? I don't know that replacing the tachometer alone would fix the issue...

Given the situation described earlier, that does not seem to be the case. It's either an electrical connection between the ECU and the cluster gauge or the tach stepper motor itself.

Now I could be completely wrong, just talking out loud at this point.

92 SVX 04-04-2017 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 (Post 746203)
Ok I see what you're saying. But let's think about this. Replacing the tach itself would imply that it is somehow getting stuck or is bent preventing its full range of motion right? I don't know that replacing the tachometer alone would fix the issue...

Given the situation described earlier, that does not seem to be the case. It's either an electrical connection between the ECU and the cluster gauge or the tach stepper motor itself.

Now I could be completely wrong, just talking out loud at this point.

The circuits on the tach itself can and do go bad, here is a how to video on removing the tach, at the end I show you the tach circuits. Well looks like attaching the youtube video isn't working so here is a link to it.
https://youtu.be/tX1tII-T-wE

92 SVX 04-04-2017 11:23 AM

Also I made a how to for taking the cluster out of the car,

https://youtu.be/93LiriE989k

SVXMAN2001 04-04-2017 11:59 AM

ha, that's you!? In all my hours of research I stumbled onto this video. Made it one of my favorites because it's a great how to. Thank you!

SVXMAN2001 04-04-2017 12:11 PM

ha, that's you!? In all my hours of research I stumbled onto this video. Made it one of my favorites because it's a great how to. Thank you!

92 SVX 04-04-2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 (Post 746209)

your welcome, I am happy it helps

SVXMAN2001 04-04-2017 05:50 PM

blacky, if your able ill be more than willing to take you up on that gauge cluster. ill shoot you a pm

SVXMAN2001 04-08-2017 03:07 PM

Earlier today I went to the local junkyard and picked up a gauge cluster. Swamped in the junkyard one (only hooked connected the gauge cluster, did not connect the clusters to the left and right of the steering wheel) and the tach behaved the same as the other cluster. Only this cluster was worse, the speedometer didn't work. So i took out the junkyard cluster and put in the original one.

It was a crap shoot as to whether the junk yard one would work. Unfortunately I think I am still at square one. Because of the unknown history of the junkyard cluster Im still unable to rule out that I have a faulty tach.

the search continues...

SVXMAN2001 04-13-2017 07:30 AM

could a faulty egr solenoid or circuit be the culprit for a faulty tach? i have a check engine code 34.

also the tach isnt reading the standard 1,500 rpm upon cold start up. i doubt my aux air control valve is bad. the tach as is reads about 900 rpm

wold racing 04-24-2017 09:23 AM

I have several instrument clusters for sale. Let me know what you need...