The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   SVX Parts Wanted (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Anyone have strut mounts (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55951)

B 4 You 11-19-2010 08:18 AM

Anyone have strut mounts

some strut mounts? mine are all worn out.
does anyone know where i can buy some nice ones for a decent price?
or if someone here has some slightly used or good conditioned ones i'd be happy to take them.

1986nate 11-19-2010 11:39 AM

Re: Anyone have

OEM only...
Do you need all 4 or just fronts or rears? I have some basically new rears I believe that are from someone who installed brand new OEM struts only to have the strut seals go out so the mounts are like new. Let me know if you are interested, otherwise your best bet is going OEM for the mounts.

torxxx 11-19-2010 12:46 PM

last time I checked the dealership here claimed they could get ahold of ALL suspension parts for SVXs. I had them print out the blow up of the struts/assemblies and I highlighed all the parts that I wanted and the top caps were one of them.

Might be worth looking into. New OEM is worth spending a lil more $ on

1986nate 11-19-2010 01:03 PM

Only get the strut mounts/top caps though. The actual struts are garbage and the seals will blow out within a few months. Yes there is a warranty, but its 1 year from original purchase. So the original ones you bought fail, replace again, they fail again, replace again, those fail, but its out of the 1 year warranty so you are out all of your money...

torxxx 11-19-2010 01:42 PM

weird, my car has OEM struts on it 179k miles on it found a receipt in glovebox that they were replaced at the dealer around 110k miles. They still seem to be working fine and no leaks as of yet.

Or did they change manufacturers or something in the last 5 or 10 years and thats when they became lower quality?

Nate what brand of struts to you recommend then?

1986nate 11-19-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torxxx (Post 662966)
weird, my car has OEM struts on it 179k miles on it found a receipt in glovebox that they were replaced at the dealer around 110k miles. They still seem to be working fine and no leaks as of yet.

Or did they change manufacturers or something in the last 5 or 10 years and thats when they became lower quality?

Nate what brand of struts to you recommend then?

You may be lucky being that the car is in Alaska, and the fact that they were replaced awhile ago. The problem is when you get new OEM struts, they have been sitting on warehouse shelves for 10-15+ years. Like I said, being you are in Alaska, they may just get stuff directly from Japan or they were replaced long enough ago before they sat for too long. :)

"Tim" here on the forum replaced his under warranty twice before he was out of the warranty and ended up having to put in Koni's which is what I would suggest. It's a little bit more than the OEM, but they are manufactured new, and I believe they even carry a lifetime warranty to the original owner. The other option is if you have a local shop that deals with hydraulics or similar type stuff, they may be able to completely rebuild the unit. It's hard to say but it might be worth a shot and may end up being a worthwhile and cost effective option.:)

-also, there have been others who have replaced with OEM only to have them fail, reinstall, fail, reinstall, fail, oh snap, i'm out of the warranty period so I'm SOL...

Sorry for clogging your thread B4YOU, but this info also helps you as well i hope :)

Green1995SVX 11-19-2010 03:37 PM

Re: Anyone have strut mounts

Nate-

I'm interested in those rear mounts if you still have them. Price me a PM.

NiftySVX 11-20-2010 07:56 PM

There is an improved front strut mount available from the factory. As I recall, this countermeasured part came out in the late 90s after the cars were out of production. I would go with those.

B 4 You 11-21-2010 10:51 AM

i'm gonna call around to different places near me to see if they have any. how much are "new" OEM strut mounts? and those Koni ones? i live about an hour from the Sube Shop down in Morgantown WV, i need to see what they have.

Huskymaniac 11-22-2010 08:56 AM

Do you guys have a way to test or inspect these or are you just replacing parts to fix a problem that you hope is caused by the strut mounts?

decalsvx 05-24-2021 05:56 PM

Need rear passenger strut mount to replace damage from freeway pothole. Will take used part.