The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bubbles in the tranny oil (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4521)

gcookaustin 06-13-2002 02:33 PM

Bubbles in the tranny oil

I checked my tranny oil and I know have bubbles in it (while it is running). I'm guessing that that's bad. I'm going to change the oil in it tonight and when my gasket and filter get in then I'll drop the pan and change it again. Does anyone with a transmission dipstick that actually works know how much oil you put in it after a regular drain? I know some remains in the torque converter. My dipstick is retarted and who knows how much is already in it, although I guess too much right now :)

Mr. Pockets 06-13-2002 02:40 PM

Re: Bubbles in the tranny oil

Quote:

Originally posted by gcookaustin
I checked my tranny oil and I know have bubbles in it (while it is running). I'm guessing that that's bad. I'm going to change the oil in it tonight and when my gasket and filter get in then I'll drop the pan and change it again. Does anyone with a transmission dipstick that actually works know how much oil you put in it after a regular drain? I know some remains in the torque converter. My dipstick is retarted and who knows how much is already in it, although I guess too much right now :)
I think I drained out and put in about six quarts. I should add a little more before tomorrow's trip - I know that I'm a little low because of the cooler I put in.

Earthworm 06-13-2002 03:03 PM

I put in closer to 7.

Better to have more than you need than not enough!

gcookaustin 06-13-2002 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
Better to have more than you need than not enough!
Not necessarily; I think that's why I have bubbles! :eek:

Green1995SVX 06-13-2002 04:06 PM

Mine has always had bubbles...

-Mike

Earthworm 06-13-2002 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gcookaustin

Not necessarily; I think that's why I have bubbles! :eek:

What I meant was when I changed my ATF I had 6L on hand. Turns out after those 6L I was still low on oil and it was too late to run out and buy more.

kuoh 06-13-2002 06:22 PM

Mine too. I'll usually see a few bubbles on the dipstick when I check it, there isn't much though. It's not like foamy or anything, just a few small bubbles.

KuoH

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Mine has always had bubbles...

Ovidiu STAN 06-13-2002 07:44 PM

You are not supposed to overfill the ATF. If it is too much it will be "siphoned" and the effect are the bubbles. Bubbles means less heat transfer so you can fry your transmission.

gcookaustin 06-13-2002 08:51 PM

I put in almost seven and it's at the bottom of the dipstick. Weird-o tranny. I'm tired and I don't care if it's not filled I just want to go to bed :rolleyes:

gcookaustin 06-13-2002 09:53 PM

I put in almost eight quarts now. I can't figure out why on one edge of the stick I will have some dry spots down low, while fluid will reach several inches up the stick?

huck369 06-14-2002 05:50 AM

One side of the stick is picking up fluid from the side of the tube, you read the side that is the lowest.

gcookaustin 06-14-2002 03:34 PM

Yeah that's what I was thinking. But I've poured in eight quarts and the dry side is still below the low cold mark.

huck369 06-14-2002 03:52 PM

You do have it running when you check it, don't you?
You should start it, put it in drive, then reverse, then check it while it's still running.

I know you probably knew this, but I'm sure some people don't.

And another thought, you are checking the dipstick on the driver's side, not the one on the passenger's side, as the one on the passenger's side is the front diff grease.

Just tring to cover the bases.:)

gcookaustin 06-14-2002 04:02 PM

I've checked it warm before like that but it's the same thing. I guess I'll just siphon out a quart or so this evening and put it in my powersteering, because I think it's low. :)