The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Car's been sitting awhile.. couple questions (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55101)

IceBlade 07-22-2010 06:56 PM

Car's been sitting awhile.. couple questions

Hey, guys long time no see.

My SVX has been sitting awhile and yesterday I tried starting it up and nothing. No power to anything. I check under the hood and the negative terminal to the battery is full of corrosion. It snapped off when I tried taking it off. The ground wires were corroded a good inch into the plastic casing as well. Anyways I checked the fuses and the fusible link was blown. Went to the autoparts store and they want to charge me $10.

So my first question. In my searching someone mentioned as long as I use the same gauge and same length wire and just attach it to the leads that it'll work fine. Is that true? If so what gauge wire is it and what else should I know so I can buy some wire? Do I need to know the amperage it's rated at or something?

Umm secondly I think it might be a good idea to replace some of those wires. Can I buy generic wire to replace the positive wire to the starter and just use the same connection to the starter? Can I do the same with the positive wire to the fuse box as well as the ground wires? If so what do I need to know when buying the wire? I have a stock alternator as far as I know.

And while I'm doing that are there other wires at the same gauge, amperage or w/e that I could replace at the same time?

Oh one last question! Since the car hasn't been started in awhile is there anything I should be looking out for once I finally get it going?

Would appreciate any input!

SoCal LS-L 07-22-2010 08:38 PM

Re: Car's been sitting awhile.. couple questions

Basically replace any corroded wiring with new wire of lesser or equal gauge (greater thickness). I would just dish out the ten bucks for the fusible link.... you can make one that would work but theres no telling what amperage would open the circuit, meaning you may fry something important.

Also, if it has been sitting more than a few months, change the oil before starting it.

1986nate 07-22-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceBlade (Post 653264)
Hey, guys long time no see.

My SVX has been sitting awhile and yesterday I tried starting it up and nothing. No power to anything. I check under the hood and the negative terminal to the battery is full of corrosion. It snapped off when I tried taking it off. The ground wires were corroded a good inch into the plastic casing as well. Anyways I checked the fuses and the fusible link was blown. Went to the autoparts store and they want to charge me $10.

So my first question. In my searching someone mentioned as long as I use the same gauge and same length wire and just attach it to the leads that it'll work fine. Is that true? If so what gauge wire is it and what else should I know so I can buy some wire? Do I need to know the amperage it's rated at or something?

Get a new fusible link from Subaru, I believe about $5.

Umm secondly I think it might be a good idea to replace some of those wires. Can I buy generic wire to replace the positive wire to the starter and just use the same connection to the starter? Can I do the same with the positive wire to the fuse box as well as the ground wires? If so what do I need to know when buying the wire? I have a stock alternator as far as I know.

Get some 4 gauge wire to replace the ground and power wires. Sometimes welding supply shops will have it at a lower price, otherwise use car audio wire.

And while I'm doing that are there other wires at the same gauge, amperage or w/e that I could replace at the same time?

Oh one last question! Since the car hasn't been started in awhile is there anything I should be looking out for once I finally get it going?

It would be a good idea to change the oil, fuel filter, if possible siphon the old gas out and put fresh in.

Would appreciate any input!

answers above in red. Some may have more to add.

IceBlade 07-23-2010 06:44 AM

Thanks, guys.

How do I connect the new wire to the starter?