The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   master key (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42557)

chasman 12-30-2007 09:21 AM

master key

I have a 92 pearly the car came with 1 key and remote fob. I believe it is a valet key as it only works the doors and ignition. does anyone have any ideas on how to get a master key made . thanks

svxfiles 12-30-2007 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasman (Post 518277)
I have a 92 pearly the car came with 1 key and remote fob. I believe it is a valet key as it only works the doors and ignition. does anyone have any ideas on how to get a master key made . thanks

Go to your Subaru dealer with your registration and the keys you have.
They can order oe, if they do not cut them there.
Tom

ensteele 12-30-2007 10:30 AM

What Tom said. But, if you look at the key, just below the black part of the key, there should be an X or a Y and usually a number, like 8123. If it has a number, that is the key code for them to cut you a key. If it has a Y on it, it is a valet key and if it has an X, it is the main key. Good luck. :)

CorSVXette 12-30-2007 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 518285)
What Tom said. But, if you look at the key, just below the black part of the key, there should be an X or a Y and usually a number, like 8123. If it has a number, that is the key code for them to cut you a key. If it has a Y on it, it is a valet key and if it has an X, it is the main key. Good luck. :)

Man. How much more info about this car can I stuff in my little brain:lol: Keep the info coming because at almost 50, alzheimers starts to set in. :D

ensteele 12-30-2007 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorSVXette (Post 518287)
Man. How much more info about this car can I stuff in my little brain:lol: Keep the info coming because at almost 50, alzheimers starts to set in. :D

It takes time to learn all of this stuff. I learn something new every day about this complex car. ;) :)

Roo 12-30-2007 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 518282)
Go to your Subaru dealer with your registration and the keys you have.
They can order oe, if they do not cut them there.
Tom

Sort of...

We check the license and registration to ensure we're only dealing with the registered owner of the vehicle. If we are NOT, then we don't do anything except trace the key you have in your hand. If we ARE, then we'll be happy to look up your key code in the Subaru database (hopefully the original selling dealer put it in), and cut a key to code for you. I work in a parts department for a multi-brand dealership including Subaru.

BTW, the difference between the X and Y codes is the thickness of the key, which allows it to either get into the glovebox or not.

CorSVXette 12-30-2007 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roo (Post 518292)
BTW, the difference between the X and Y codes is the thickness of the key, which allows it to either get into the glovebox or not.

Stop!Stop!Stop!:bash: My head is exploding:lol:

nextse7en 12-30-2007 02:58 PM

Creepy...

Ensteele, I'd appreciate it if you didn't publish my keycode. :eek::D

Roo 12-30-2007 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nextse7en (Post 518318)
Creepy...

Ensteele, I'd appreciate it if you didn't publish my keycode. :eek::D

MOST any Subaru that I have access to the last eight digits of the VIN code, I can get a key code to...

...but I'd never do that for any unofficial reason or purpose, as I like my job, thanks.

crazyhorse 12-30-2007 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roo (Post 518320)
MOST any Subaru that I have access to the last eight digits of the VIN code, I can get a key code to...

...but I'd never do that for any unofficial reason or purpose, as I like my job, thanks.

I'd assume you like being on the right side of the grey bars too :)

ensteele 12-30-2007 03:54 PM

Quote:

The Y key will not allow you into the trunk either. So, if you use the cancel on the trunk lever in the cabin, you could not get into the trunk or glovebox with the valet key. :)

b3lha 12-30-2007 05:11 PM

Quote:

So, can you file down a Y key into an X key? :cool:

Mike621 12-30-2007 05:19 PM

i had a fight with Difeo Subaru about the # on the key being the keycode. I insisted it was and they said all they could do was trace the worn out key instead of cutting a new one from the vin/code.

ensteele 12-30-2007 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b3lha (Post 518356)
So, can you file down a Y key into an X key? :cool:

I think there is more to it than the thickness. :)

ensteele 12-30-2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike621 (Post 518358)
i had a fight with Difeo Subaru about the # on the key being the keycode. I insisted it was and they said all they could do was trace the worn out key instead of cutting a new one from the vin/code.

I have had keys cut by key number and by VIN. I know it can be done either way, but what THEY want to do is something else. :rolleyes: :)