The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   wheel bearings (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30444)

dannmarr 12-24-2005 05:13 AM

wheel bearings

Anyone know how to install the rear wheel bearings correctly and live in the PA, NJ area? I had mine replaced two times by different mechanics within one year! Newer cars have the bearings sealed and ready with the hub, does Subaru have this type for the SVX?

Manarius 12-24-2005 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr
Anyone know how to install the rear wheel bearings correctly and live in the PA, NJ area? I had mine replaced two times by different mechanics within one year! Newer cars have the bearings sealed and ready with the hub, does Subaru have this type for the SVX?

Rear wheel bearings are a trick when it comes to the SVX. You have to basically disconnect the hub from the car so that you can press the new bearing into it. You can buy fresh hubs, but they're costly.

In essence, you undo the wheel, remove the brake caliber/ABS sensor, remove the rotor, disassemble the e-brake, undo the axle nut/remove axle from hub (you don't need to literally remove the axle from the dif), disconnect the control rods and what not, then you pull the hub. Then you press the bearing out of the old one (or you can just bang it out..gently). Then you press the new bearing back in, being sure to fill it full of grease. I had one done on my legacy for $50 for the bearing and $60 for the labor (1.2 hours for the entire thing). The real trick was disassembling the e-brake..there's a lot of little parts in it. It also helps to have a air gun that can do 250lbs+ of force.

Tom lives in NJ...maybe he can do it. Most mechanics can do wheel bearings...just don't take it to a dealer or you'll get killed.

PDSides 12-24-2005 07:53 AM

Wheel bearing replacement on the SVX is complicated and a new bearing that is poorly installed won't last very long. My suggestion is to get your hands on a factory shop manual section for bearing replacement and follow the procedure to the letter. This includes using the specified tools and processes and especially includes tightening of bolts upon reassembly. Shortcutting this process in any way can result in less than perfect results. Reassembly of the emergency brake inside the rear disk is difficult without instructions, and tightening the castle nut (axle nut) with the wheels off the ground is critical and difficult. I would suggest that you get hold of the factory shop manual and do the disassembly yourself. Then take the new bearing, all packed with high-heat resistance bearing grease and the hub with old bearing to a shop that has a hydraulic bearing press. Let them press off the old bearing and press on the new. Then return home and you complete the job. Removing or installing a bearing with a steel pipe and hammer will damage the hub and carrier and may cause rapid failure. Best wishes.
Preston

mbtoloczko 12-24-2005 11:17 AM

There is now an alternative to the procedure in the factory service manual. There is a tool called a hub tamer which can be used to R&R the bearing while the hub is still on the car. I have heard that it is now the procedure that Subaru specifies. Even with doing the R&R with the hub on the car, its still an involved process, but the hub tamer does a better job of installing the bearing than a press. I think someone here on the network has a hub tamer that they have loaned out in the past.

dannmarr 12-25-2005 11:30 AM

My mechanic is going to replace the bad bearing he installed for FREE. He is going to use Subaru bearings this time. Is there anything I need to tell him about the installation?

ensteele 12-25-2005 12:36 PM

The Northwest group now has a hub tamer that can be used. :) :)

pearlm30 12-25-2005 05:50 PM

while we are on this subject, what brand name of hub tamer should I get? Would any brand will work with SVX rear bearing? Where can I get one? I saw some on e bay for sale as well.
Thanks

Tim 12-25-2005 08:15 PM

I have a hub tamer that I will probably loan out to tom as soon as I get mine done