The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Typical touring mileage for SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7713)

svxistentialist 12-21-2002 02:56 PM

Typical touring mileage for SVX

Folks,

I would be interested in seeing what kind of variation there is for touring consumption in SVXs

By "touring" I mean long runs at steady speed in D, probably, though not necessarily, runs of more than 100 miles.

Better yet checked on a run at steady speed far enough to empty the tank.

Could you please click the range that is closest to what you normally get?

Thanks

Joe

$VX 12-21-2002 03:24 PM

Highest I've ever gotten was 24.5 and thatwas all highway miles.

- Ca$h

Andy 12-21-2002 03:26 PM

Sorry Joe, can't be of much help on this one. (What is a highway?)

svxistentialist 12-21-2002 03:29 PM

Highway robbery

Quote:

Originally posted by $VX
Highest I've ever gotten was 24.5 and thatwas all highway miles.

- Ca$h

Thanks Rob.

Yeah, highway miles is what I am interested in here.

If we get a good picture, plenty of votes will make it more representative, then later we can try another poll on worst mileage suffered, like in city driving and so on.

This will be a good indicator of what is normal for the car, as opposed to individual driving styles, if the numbers are big enough.

Joe

Andy 12-21-2002 03:32 PM

Excellent idea Joe, let me know when you are doing the worst mileage bit and I will send my wife out for a drive. She has the worst case of 'lead foot syndrome' that I have ever come across. I am sure that the hobnail boots don't help either.

wawazat?? 12-21-2002 03:34 PM

Hello Joe,

Last tow trips were 300+ miles each. Trip out was only about 23 mpg. The return trip was 26.8 mpg. Best I've seen is 28.5 mpg.

Todd

svxistentialist 12-21-2002 03:37 PM

4 lanes mind the puddle

Quote:

Originally posted by Andy
Sorry Joe, can't be of much help on this one. (What is a highway?)
Andy

Just drive around the island on the beach at low tide.:D

You have AWD, don't you?:p

Also, to be meaningful, you and I have to convert our MPG to US by multiplying by the factor 0.83, as their gallons are smaller.

How is that by the way? I thought they drill for this gas in Texas. Isn't everything bigger in Texas?:D :D

Maybe they made the gallons smaller so they would seem to be selling more of it. Yeah, that must be it. A "Get rich quicker" scheme.:) :)

Joe

Andy 12-22-2002 03:33 AM

Surely they should convert to proper gallons, after all, we had them first. :D

Do all of there measurements apply in the same way. Maybe that could explain why US girls like European men so much:eek: :eek:

svxistentialist 12-22-2002 06:03 AM

Most replies

are in the 24-26 and 26-28 range. I wonder if I should have listed a lower option, say 22-24 or even lower.

Do many SVXers get highway mileage below 24??

Joe

Beav 12-22-2002 07:21 AM

In case anyone was wondering, it was me that 'voted' 29mpg. It's a consistent rate and it's probably unobtainable at the factory specified tire pressure. Some of you know that I've been on the hunt for the cause of a sporadic vibration in my car since I bought it. It's nothing serious, just pesky to an anal virgo like myself. ;) Along the way I found quite a bit of poor handling habits, morning spotting (flat spots when cold) and even some vibration could be cured by raising the pressure of my tires to 37/35. An added bonus was an increase of around 2mpg. For those that are curious I have Dunlop SP 5000 Asymmetrical tires. However I had the same mpg in my '92 on the OEM supplied Bridgestones (RE92's ?)

I don't want to hijack this thread (now there's a first! ;) ) so I'll start another thread regarding tire pressures and leave this thread as I found it - amazingly still on topic. :)

svxeno 12-22-2002 07:22 AM

Re: Most replies

Quote:

Originally posted by svxistentialist
are in the 24-26 and 26-28 range. I wonder if I should have listed a lower option, say 22-24 or even lower.

Do many SVXers get highway mileage below 24??

Joe

You wouldn't think so but I've been there.

Randy (Envisions a toilet flushing when I put pedal to metal) ii

$VX 12-22-2002 04:46 PM

When I go on long highway trips I jack up the PSI as well. Less rolling resistance. HOWEVER, if you drive around town a long time with the tires that inflated you'll develop 'cupping'.

- Ca$h

svxy 12-22-2002 07:45 PM

You guys have convinced me into premium gas. Cheaping out at the pump costs you in mpg's. Trust me and my real life experience, get the correct grade of gas to get better miles per gallon on the highway.

svxistentialist 12-23-2002 02:16 AM

Premium

Quote:

Originally posted by svxy
You guys have convinced me into premium gas. Cheaping out at the pump costs you in mpg's. Trust me and my real life experience, get the correct grade of gas to get better miles per gallon on the highway.
is the way to go if there isn't a significant price difference. What percentage extra does the premium cost in the States?

Joe

Uncamitzi 12-23-2002 09:29 AM

Re: Premium

Quote:

Originally posted by svxistentialist

is the way to go if there isn't a significant price difference. What percentage extra does the premium cost in the States?

Joe

It'll just make ya mad Joe!!!

Right now between $1.45 and $1.65 per gallon for 91 octane depending on the part of town you're in..... (I'm in...)

You see, if we don't get good gas prices, we bomb someone! Like Iraq or Iran....... I think you're paying 3 times that, right?

Do you use the Euro or the Pound?