The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   driver's belt is "sticky." (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56860)

B 4 You 03-24-2011 10:40 PM

driver's belt is "sticky."

so when i want to get out of my car, my seat belt goes up about an inch, then get's stuck. rarely it will free itself and go all the way. i usually just smack it with my left hand, and it unsticks and goes all the way up without a problem. goes back down fine when i close the door. passenger door doesn't stick at all. i was going to spray a little WD40 on it, but i decided that might be a bad idea because it probably needs friction to work. anyone else have this problem? it bugs the heck out of me that i have to hit the seatbelt/tug on it every time i want to get out of the car.

also, if i don't hit it up after 30 seconds or so, it will get stuck in that position until i close the door and open it again.

Crazy_pilot 03-24-2011 11:25 PM

Re: driver's belt is "sticky."

Ya, mine does that too. I just add "shake the seatbelt thing" into my get in/out of the car ritual.

Actually, having driven my 240 for the last 5 months while the SVX was sleeping I'm going to have to get back into all sorts of habits.

icingdeath88 03-25-2011 07:04 AM

You could change out to manual seatbelts... I have a set of stuff to convert them.

B 4 You 03-25-2011 07:22 AM

it seems to not be as bad when it's really warm out too. i actually love the auto seatbelts though. i love when people get into my car and strangle themselves with it. it's hilarious. anyway, if anyone has a cure for this please let me know :]

icingdeath88 03-25-2011 07:26 AM

I also have the auto seatbelt motors/tracks if you decide that's what you need.

B 4 You 03-25-2011 07:30 AM

if that's the only way then i'll go that route. can i spray WD40 in it? i'm assuming no because i'm pretty sure it's belt driven and belts need friction to work..

Green1995SVX 03-25-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B 4 You (Post 671968)
it seems to not be as bad when it's really warm out too. i actually love the auto seatbelts though. i love when people get into my car and strangle themselves with it. it's hilarious. anyway, if anyone has a cure for this please let me know :]

It's just one of those things that comes with aging svxs. Eventually you'll become so used to hitting it with your hand that you wont even notice.

Think of this scenario that happened to me.

You pull up to a ticket machine at a parking garage. Reach out the window. "oh, because of this stupid half window, I can't reach all the way." While your head is out the window, you open the door for extra room. When you do, the seatbelt wraps around your neck and pins your head in the corner of the window. Everyone in the car with you laughs.

Mike

icingdeath88 03-25-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B 4 You (Post 671971)
if that's the only way then i'll go that route. can i spray WD40 in it? i'm assuming no because i'm pretty sure it's belt driven and belts need friction to work..

Cable driven. I don't think some WD40 would hurt, just don't go nuts. And try not to get any on any of the interior bits. If it weren't extremely likely to break the clips that hold it on (especially if it's cold and brittle), I'd suggest taking off the A/B pillar cover to make sure of that and inspect it good.

B 4 You 03-25-2011 09:38 AM

mike, i know exactly how you feel. drive thru's get the best of me. as far as ticket booths, i don't open the door, but i do stick more than half of my body out to get the ticket. one day i'm going to fall out. and i love when friends put the seatbelt behind them as they get out, not knowing they're about to be strangled.

how do i take apart the fixture? i don't think it's weak or brittle. it looks like it's in pretty decent condition. i will try a dab of WD40 tonight and see if it does anything. it almost feels like it's confused whether it should open or not.

ensteele 03-25-2011 09:59 PM

A while back a member figured out what to do to fix it. It was a simple fix and I don't remember what it was and now mine is doing the same thing. If anyone remembers who it was or what the fix is, I will try to get it into the How-To Docs.

B 4 You 03-28-2011 09:31 AM

hopefully they can help me. :rolleyes:

K_Dub 03-28-2011 01:36 PM

Am I having Déjà vu?

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...9&postcount=16

It looks like you've got the same symptoms that I had prior to this fix.

B 4 You 03-28-2011 01:44 PM

i'd love to say you were, but i think mine is slightly different...

correct me if i'm wrong, but my seatbelt works 100% of the time, it just gets stuck once it's in the all the way down position. it moves about an inch up when i open my door, and once i wiggle it "free" it opens all the way. e.g., if i close my door, and open it right before it latches, it'll go all the way back up. so i don't now. i read that other post to see if it was the same thing. if that's the solution for mine though, i'll take it.
:)