The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Should I pick up a hooker? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48587)

RoughSilver92 01-12-2009 12:08 AM

Should I pick up a hooker?

Since I'm in the (long) process of my 5mt swap, I am replacing my exhaust as well. After much searching, I've settled on the 2-ar20 to magnaflow cat to ar25 setup, since the general consensus is that this is THE setup for the svx. I am still trying to decide on a muffler, though, and I am thinking of checking out the hooker aero chamber f-body muffler. Has anybody had any experience with the hooker aero chamber muffler? I am looking for a nice smooth performance sound, not a blaring obnoxious noise like every :eek:flowmaster:eek: exhaust I have heard on friends cars. Does this muffler fit the bill?

SilverSpear 01-12-2009 12:45 AM

Re: Should I pick up a hooker?

Yeah you should pick up a hooker only if you are not married. But if you are, then that will take more of your time doing it and away from your family.

Now fitting the bill, that is related to your budget. You should assess accordingly.

RoughSilver92 01-12-2009 12:52 AM

:lol:
very helpful.

Crazy_pilot 01-12-2009 10:10 AM

The only thing I would say is that the AR20 resonators aren't meant to be so close to the engine and stand up to that much heat right out if the manifolds. I believe John (svxcess) had the AR20's originally but changed to small cats after a while. Send him a PM if you want to know more about that.

SVXRide 01-12-2009 10:40 AM

I'd be interested in hearing more about the use of AR20s just aft of the exhaust manifolds. I believe YT has them in his current exhaust system (?). I had not heard anything about John having issues with them.
-Bil

Crazy_pilot 01-12-2009 10:44 AM

I remember him briefly mentioning it at Reading 9, and taking a quick look, but we never got into it.

Tim 01-12-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide (Post 581775)
I'd be interested in hearing more about the use of AR20s just aft of the exhaust manifolds. I believe YT has them in his current exhaust system (?). I had not heard anything about John having issues with them.
-Bil

I damaged mine after bottoming out car, now it makes a nasty grinding sound. Before that though, my car sounded awesome. I miss how it used to sound :(

Black88GTA 01-13-2009 05:33 PM

I run this muffler...but on my F-body :) So I can't speak too much for how it'll sound / fit on an SVX.

For what it's worth - my Trans Am is quieter at idle / around town than similar cars which are running Flowmasters, but has a nice roar at WOT. I would definitely get it again - but I would spray the muffler with a couple coats of rust-preventing paint prior to installing it, as it seems to rust quite easily at the welds, especially if you are in an area that uses salt. Something to keep in mind if you do pick one up.

TomsSVX 01-13-2009 06:57 PM

the AR20's in John's car were replaced due to the Cat conv. code he kept getting w/o the two pre-cats in his OBDII SVX. Bobby has the AR20's from my old exhaust and w/ the stage 3 software probably seeing close to 1400*F EGT's... I do not believe it is having any issues

Tom

svxfiles 01-13-2009 07:01 PM

I have AR25s on my Claret and they have held up very well for a long time,
more than two years.
They have scuffed the ground before my newest, stiffest suspension.

However if you hit a speedbump, it is VERY easy for the ceramic core to begin ratteling/ringing, unlike a conventional all steel muffler.

Tom

RoughSilver92 01-13-2009 11:22 PM

Excellent information, guys. I think I will give the aerochamber a try (painted), and do my best avoiding those speed bumps. When I finally get it back on the road, I will let you know my impressions of the muffler.:)

Black88GTA 01-14-2009 03:57 PM

To clarify - it comes painted, but the paint seems pretty thin and wears through easily. A few extra coats of something a bit tougher certainly wouldn't hurt it. :)

svxfiles 01-14-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoughSilver92 (Post 582141)
I think I will give the aerochamber a try
, I will let you know my impressions of the muffler.:)

On my first true dual exhaust system on my Claret I used at first two Hooker Aerochamber (2" in, 2" outlets) at the back of the car.
It sounded great over 3000 RPM, but like a truck below 3000.:(
Then I installed a pair of really long Cherry Bomb resonators in the middle of the SVX.
It now sounded sweet at all RPMs.
I later tried just the Cherry Bombs, and it had the same sound as with just the Aerochambers.
I think that with only one Aerochamber, in a single exhaust system, it should be fine.:)
PS; Make sure not to push the inlet/outlet tubes too far.
It can lessen the parabolic reflector effect.;)
Tom

oab_au 01-14-2009 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 582266)
On my first true dual exhaust system on my Claret I used at first two Hooker Aerochamber (2" in, 2" outlets) at the back of the car.
It sounded great over 3000 RPM, but like a truck below 3000.:(
Then I installed a pair of really long Cherry Bomb resonators in the middle of the SVX.
It now sounded sweet at all RPMs.
I later tried just the Cherry Bombs, and it had the same sound as with just the Aerochambers.
I think that with only one Aerochamber, in a single exhaust system, it should be fine.:)
PS; Make sure not to push the inlet/outlet tubes too far.
It can lessen the parabolic reflector effect.;)
Tom

Yes what Tom said.:D

Harvey.