The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   4.44 on hold for now.. I have a code 11 (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22724)

snik 11-17-2004 05:13 PM

4.44 on hold for now.. I have a code 11

hello everyone,

you may recall I bought a 92 a week ago, and I was told tranny was broken.

drove the car today and it drives very nice... shifts smooth, but it doesnt go to 3rd.

pulled the codes, and it has a code 11, solenoid A

dealer is closed now... if any of you have ever changed this solenoid, do u mind telling me:

a) how much is this solenoid?

b) how do i access it? (will I need to remove the tranny, or when I remove the pan, I should see it)

any other input?

thx :)

thundering02 11-17-2004 05:51 PM

check the resistor behind the battery... should be at something like 12 ohms if remebering correctlycheaper and easier for the 1st shot.

Earthworm 11-18-2004 01:39 PM

The resistor behind the battery was probably just unplugged to try to make the tranny last longer.

snik 11-18-2004 09:15 PM

found a ceramic resistor wrapped in a metal jacket, but it wasnt behind the battery... it was more like beside it, attached to the inside of the quarter panel. It was plugged in,... took off the plug but it didnt make a difference

right now the car shifts well from 1-2, but there is no 3, and no 4th

tranny colour is nice and wine colour... with no debris/particles...

no other codes other than code 11 (duty solenoid A)

any ideas what may have caused my 3rd and 4th gears not to engage?

if i put it in D, it moves off the light quick, shifts to 2nd very smooth and when the time comes for it to shift to 3, it misses it and it feels like it has gone to neutral... no matter how much i revv, it does not engage.. (not that it slips... it just doesnt engage at all)... i will have to pull it to D2 to resume tranny engagement.. D3 yields same reult. Playing with manual button does not help.

if i drive in D2, it drives fine... although it revvs high (3000 rpm) for city driving

so what can i do... is there something inside of my existing tranny i can replace.. or should i just do the 4.44?

i feel like its some little resistor, solenoid, or something minor... because there is no slippage.... it just feels like its in neutral instead of 3rd... if i can fix this electrical glitch, I will install an oil cooler and tranny oil filter, instead of that whole 4.44 swap

awaiting your reply my svx experts :)

thanks

Earthworm 11-19-2004 10:26 AM

Measure the ohms on that resistor. It should be around 12ohms +/- 5

SVXRide 11-19-2004 11:20 AM

Follow David's advice...just because it's plugged in doesn't mean it hasn't gone bad on you.
-Bill

snik 11-19-2004 06:19 PM

checked it.. it has no resistance (open circuit)

did a band adjustment at the dealer today... no change... 1st, 2nd ok, when it shifts to 3, it goes to neutral (does not engage in 3rd .. so there is no slippage,, it feels like its shifting out of 2nd and then goes to neutral)

took off the pan... there was some metal pieces in it... looks like a thin 4" dia metal ring that was disintegrated... found 2 pieces of it... so i guess my tranny has gone south.. dont know what those metal pieces were.

will i need to get a new resistor after i put the 4.44? none of the dealerships have them in stock... would a 12 ohm resistor from radio shack be ok?

now assuming any 12 ohm resistor works,.. is it worthwhile getting a resistor, hooking it up to see if it shifts ok or not? meaning, will that resistor cause the no 3rd/4th gear issue I am experiencing now?

Earthworm 11-19-2004 06:26 PM

Several people have extra resistors from 5 spd swaps/parts cars. I'm one of them. Make us an offer and I'm sure someone will bite.

You will need this resistor for proper transmission functionality.

snik 11-19-2004 09:44 PM

sent you an IM.

according to my previous searches, many people unplug that resistor though... in order to get higher line pressure and more pronounced shifting. Also found some posts about hard shifting reducing heat build up in the tranny

oab_au 11-20-2004 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by snik
checked it.. it has no resistance (open circuit)

did a band adjustment at the dealer today... no change... 1st, 2nd ok, when it shifts to 3, it goes to neutral (does not engage in 3rd .. so there is no slippage,, it feels like its shifting out of 2nd and then goes to neutral)

took off the pan... there was some metal pieces in it... looks like a thin 4" dia metal ring that was disintegrated... found 2 pieces of it... so i guess my tranny has gone south.. dont know what those metal pieces were.

will i need to get a new resistor after i put the 4.44? none of the dealerships have them in stock... would a 12 ohm resistor from radio shack be ok?

now assuming any 12 ohm resistor works,.. is it worthwhile getting a resistor, hooking it up to see if it shifts ok or not? meaning, will that resistor cause the no 3rd/4th gear issue I am experiencing now?

Gee I hate saying this all the time, But. The high clutch has gone, the "4" dia metal ring" pieces that you found are part of the high clutch plates.

The high clutch is needed for 3rd and 4th. The box needs replacing. The resistor won't cause the trouble.

Harvey.;)

Earthworm 11-22-2004 11:55 AM

I replied to your PM.

Your tranny is probably dead as previously mentioned. Unfortunately this is probably the same fate as my old 4EAT suffered so I can't offer you mine as a replacement.