The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Another SVX bashing (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41818)

vrkSVX 11-12-2007 07:41 AM

Another SVX bashing

Article from Sunday, Phila. Inquirer by Dan Neil, LA Times quote:

"........Subaru has also made errors of biblical proportions, such as the Giugiaro-designed luxury sports car SVX in the early 1990's."

The full article is on the LA Times website under Rumble Seat. Not so nice stuff about the new 2008 WRX. I emailed Dan Neil (dan.neil@latimes.com) and let him know what I thought about him dissing the SVX. Watta jerk.

DarknessofDeath 11-12-2007 08:14 AM

we had one of these threads before...was a lot of talking of taking somebody out because of it ~

vrkSVX 11-12-2007 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarknessofDeath (Post 508197)
we had one of these threads before...was a lot of talking of taking somebody out because of it ~

This article was in the November 11, 2007 Phila. Inquirer.

dcarrb 11-12-2007 10:48 AM

The actual quote:

"Subaru has also pulled boners of biblical proportions, such as the Giugiaro-designed luxury sports car SVX in the early 1990s."

I love my cars, but the sales numbers fully support this statement. The SVX was a massive mistake for Subaru; a great car thay had no clue how to sell.

This article should be required reading for everybody who's anybody at Subaru.

dcb

SubaSteevo 11-12-2007 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 508228)
The actual quote:

"Subaru has also pulled boners of biblical proportions, such as the Giugiaro-designed luxury sports car SVX in the early 1990s."

I love my cars, but the sales numbers fully support this statement. The SVX was a massive mistake for Subaru; a great car thay had no clue how to sell.

This article should be required reading for everybody who's anybody at Subaru.

dcb

My SPAM folder says boners of biblical proportions are actually desirable.

vrkSVX 11-12-2007 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaSteevo (Post 508233)

I like your SPAM folder :p:p:lol:

PaulDexler 11-12-2007 12:40 PM

SVX Bashing? Maybe not.

I read Dan Neil in the Times every Wednesday. I missed his piece on the new WRX because I was away last week. However, please note that he is not bashing the SVX. He is bashing Subaru's mis-handled marketing of it. The SVX was launched at the same time as the Lexus SC coupes and the Toyota Supra coupe. Those cars were successful because they were part of an overall strategy by the companies. The SVX, as good as it is, and I love mine, failed because it was essentially an ego trip for the chairman of Fuji, with no real marketing strategy behind it. The failure means that I can finally afford one, but it also means that there was no real development put into the car to keep it up to where it should be.
Paul

vrkSVX 11-12-2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulDexler (Post 508252)
I read Dan Neil in the Times every Wednesday. I missed his piece on the new WRX because I was away last week. However, please note that he is not bashing the SVX. He is bashing Subaru's mis-handled marketing of it. The SVX was launched at the same time as the Lexus SC coupes and the Toyota Supra coupe. Those cars were successful because they were part of an overall strategy by the companies. The SVX, as good as it is, and I love mine, failed because it was essentially an ego trip for the chairman of Fuji, with no real marketing strategy behind it. The failure means that I can finally afford one, but it also means that there was no real development put into the car to keep it up to where it should be.
Paul

Aha, I see your reasoning. I guess you are right when you say Subaru did not market it properly. But those words "biblical proportions" really set me off. I wonder if Subaru has ever seen this site. We are original owners and still think we have the best looking car on the road, no......not "think"......we know it is the best looking car on the road.

AlcyoneDaze 11-12-2007 03:45 PM

Do you think marketing would have made a difference?

I don't think people were ready to pay that much for a Subaru.

Possibly if they had branched it off and created an Alcyone brand (ala: Acura, Infiniti, Lexus, etc..), as well as offered a 5-speed and a more competetive sports version

DarknessofDeath 11-12-2007 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrkSVX (Post 508208)
This article was in the November 11, 2007 Phila. Inquirer.

no, i was just stating that there was a thread with a newspaper columnist that pretty much said some things about the svx as well..

crazyhorse 11-12-2007 07:05 PM

Both versions of the Alcyone wre financial disasters for Subaru. This is why we'll likely never see another coupe badged as an Alcyone.

The engineering, and design of both cars was pure genius. Unfortunately, until the advent of the WRX, Subaru didn't have the reputation of building a world class performance car. As SVX fans we're loathe to admit, that even back in the day, the SVX wasn't a super high performance vehicle. The performance was squarely midpack for the class. The design & execution, however were nothing short of STELLAR.

The SVX gets ripped on by the press for it's weight. Benebob & Hocrest can attest, that the weight is built DEEP into the structure of the car. It's that weight that makes it so dadgum comfy on the highway!

Remember the mandate on this car was "The Balanced Luxury Performance Coupe". Equal parts cush & push. I enjoy my SVX for that balance. I like cruising in it, knowing that I can stand on it & get shoved back in my seat. No car I've ever driven masks speed like the SVX.

To me, modding an SVX takes that wonderful balance out. My hat is off to the guys that do mod the crap out of these cars though. It takes time, money, creativity, and money. Did I mention it takes money?

The press never REALLY understood the GT aspect of the SVX.

immortal_suby 11-12-2007 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaSteevo (Post 508233)

Bwahahaha!!