The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Spec clutch slipping sometimes? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18579)

svxsubaru1 05-10-2004 10:12 PM

Spec clutch slipping sometimes?

I converted my SVX to a legacy 90-94 5spd and used a spec stage 2 clutch. It origanly slipped horribley, 1/4 throttle in 2 would cause it to slip, then i was extremly gentle to it for the 500 mile break in period and it did not slip at all. I then raced a my friends 89 supra turbo up to 130 mph no slipping. Today after school, i pulled out onto a street and lanched farily hard it was raining and i thought i was spinning my tires because the engine reved up so, so i shifted to 2nd and it revved up agian, 3 rd same thing, then i babied it for about 1 min then floored it no problems at all, then i tried to launch from a stop in 3rd no problems. After i went home i took the car back out and tried to launch in 3rd agian with a little more slipping to get the car started, the clutch would not hold any power at all, it was slipping horribley. I let the clutch rest for 2 mins then floored it no problems. I thought it may of been related to the rain for some reason so i went home. Then i went to a place and was coming home and saw a STI the light i was waiting at turned green and i wanted to catch up so i did a harder than normal launch, i lanched probley at 2500 rpms, the clutch started to slip again in all gears with any real amount of power. So i caught up slowley to the STI, then the STi turened were i had to go so i follwed it and eventully raced it no slipping clutch. Any ideas whats wrong, it seems like when ever i slip the clutch to do a fairley hard launch it just starts to slip hooribley. Is some thing out of adjustment?

mbtoloczko 05-10-2004 11:17 PM

If you have a '90-'94 Legacy tranny then its a cable-operated clutch? If so, then the pedal free play adjustment is pretty easy, and I'm sure you've done that. Unfortunately, that means something is wrong with the clutch. Could be oil on the clutch surfaces. Could be that the step-height on the flywheel is incorrect for that pressure plate and disc.

svxsubaru1 05-11-2004 09:39 AM

Whats the step height on the flywheel?

mbtoloczko 05-11-2004 10:00 AM

I don't know what the correct value is for your pressure plate and flywheel. I recommend calling Spec to get the value intended for the stuff you're using.

svxsubaru1 05-12-2004 09:48 AM

What does the step height mean?

Green1995SVX 05-12-2004 11:19 AM

I have the spec stage 2. It has never slipped, but i've never launched the car with any force. It worked perfectly from the day i put it in, and i now have 10,000 miles on the conversion. No issues.

Mike

mbtoloczko 05-12-2004 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by svxsubaru1
What does the step height mean?
The step height is the difference in height between the pressure plate mounting surface on the flywheel and the friction surface area on the flywheel. WRX flywheels have a step height of zero. I don't know what it is for other Subarus.

strange179 05-12-2004 06:37 PM

step height

The step height for my '92 n/a legacy flywheel was also zero.

Jay

svxsubaru1 05-14-2004 09:53 AM

I am pretty sure its 0 if i rember right. I called up spec and they said if i sent in my stage 2 they would send a stage 3 for free. I asked when i would have to send it in, and they said any time. They said that they wouldent be surprised if the clutch couldent handle the torq of the eg33 after it was burnt a little from a hard launch. I was launching the car agin and if i slip it at around 2500 rpms it wont burn up when i shift to 2nd.

mbtoloczko 05-14-2004 11:12 AM

I'm not sure I'd believe what Spec said about the stage 2 not holding the power after a hard launch because I remember you saying that even from the very beginning, the clutch was slipping badly. And Mike hasn't had any problems with his Spec stage 2.

SVXer95 05-14-2004 12:14 PM

Think you might've torched the flywheel with those hard launches? Might be a good idea to invest in a new one, or at least resurface the old one before you put a brand new clutch in.

oab_au 05-14-2004 07:22 PM

Flogging the clutch.

I have allways had doubt, that the 4 cyl clutch would take the SVX torque. What dia. is it 9"? I reckon a larger dia, or a twin plate, would be needed, to take the sort of treatment that you are giving it.:rolleyes:

Harvey.;)

svxsubaru1 05-15-2004 10:09 PM

I usaly resurface the flywheel when i put in a new clutch, i really wasent launching that hard, ive done a couple of launcehs before that were about the same and the clutch never sliped before. I really dident let the clutch slip that much i pay very close attention to this, i never let the clutch slip for more than .5 secs, after launch.