The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Down Under (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   So what does this all mean...? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17017)

OZ_SVX96 03-08-2004 05:50 AM

So what does this all mean...?

James what does the doom and gloom announcement mean for this site? I am still not really sure but I am getting the vibe that things are about to get a whole lot worse. Is this the end of the network?
Concerned Mark.:confused: :eek:

Aredubjay 03-08-2004 08:18 AM

Re: So what does this all mean...?

Quote:

Originally posted by OZ_SVX96
James what does the doom and gloom announcement mean for this site? I am still not really sure but I am getting the vibe that things are about to get a whole lot worse. Is this the end of the network?
Concerned Mark.:confused: :eek:

Mark,
Rest assured that this is not the end of the network. It's not "gloom and doom." The server is going to be moved to a new location, and, in the process, will get BETTER, not worse.

"Bad News" just means that, the site that has been flawless, will have to go down for a few days in order to make the move. "Bad News" being relative to the fact that the site has only been down twice that I can remember, and for a VERY SHORT period of time. The fact that it will be down for DAYS instead of hours is "BAD" in comparison to the time it has been down.

Don't fret -- we'll ride out this little glitch and come back with a vengeance! :D

Those of us who are "addicted" will certainly go through some withdrawals (delirium tremors, I'm sure, along with pink elephant sitings), but, we'll make it through, I think. If not, there's a methodone clinic just down the street from me. I'll just go there, til the site comes back on line. :D:D:D

Jamsvx 03-08-2004 05:20 PM

Thanks for that Randy...cannot add much more than he!!

:D

*stockpiles Road & Tracks for the forthcoming, temporary, disappearance of our home!*
;)

KennEls 03-09-2004 01:56 AM

Server Down

James,

I'm gutted by the announcements, can't politly say more........

Do you think that you should send an e-mail broadcast to the Down Under group, just in case some don't read these notice's, prior to the net going off line?

Hope to hear from all on the other side real soon.

Take Care

Kenn

Aredubjay 03-09-2004 08:15 AM

Folks,
Here's an update from the fellow who'll be housing the server. I don't think it's going to be as "bad" as we first thought. This was posted on the 7th of March:

"Downtime, past and future
Sorry for the downtime this morning,
Well, it was morning in the US anyway.
Some low life decided to packet flood our
connection with about 7Mbps of traffic.
Needless to say, we do not have the
bandwidth to weather that kind of attack.
The ISP for the attack source is using our
network logs to track down the culprit.

Later today, we plan on renumbering
into a new network. There should only be
a few minutes of downtime if everything
goes okay.

Later this week, we plan on physically moving
the server to a new home so look for a couple
of hours downtime for that.

Jim Waldon"

As for me, I didn't even know there was any downtime. Kudos for all who make this site possible and help it work flawlessly. Here's to a seamless and trouble-free move.

Jamsvx 03-09-2004 02:34 PM

Well done to the powers that be! I too did not realise that it actually went down!!

Someone will have to be shouted some of your finest moonshine when we get to the States!!

Aredubjay 03-09-2004 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jamsvx
Well done to the powers that be! I too did not realise that it actually went down!!

Someone will have to be shouted some of your finest moonshine when we get to the States!!

I'll see if I can't round up a jar or two. :D