The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Not again! Tick tick tick (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60863)

dannmarr 11-12-2012 08:38 PM

Not again! Tick tick tick

I replaced my flexplate about a year ago with the thicker one. I just had my exhaust redone with a new main cat and resonator. I drive on weekends only. But sure enough it's back! The ticking from the engine! It goes away at around 2k RPMs. Please tell me it's not the flexplate again! Could an exhaust leak cause this ticking?

dannmarr 11-13-2012 03:10 PM

Re: Not again! Tick tick tick

It has been confirmed. It's the flex plate. My mechanic used a small camera to look inside and found the crack. Why did this happen? The last one cracked because the trans locked up and it was the original SVX flexplate (phase 1). This one was the thicker flex plate, phase 2 (I believe the Outback one).

1)Can someone guide me to which flex plate I should buy
2)Is there any necessary steps that need attention for the next install?
3)Anyone know someone who can do the install without breaking my bank?
Thanks!

I noticed that the original flex plate had less holes than the thicker one:confused: Does this make a difference?

svxfiles 11-13-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr (Post 715556)
It has been confirmed. It's the flex plate. My mechanic used a small camera to look inside and found the crack. Why did this happen? The last one cracked because the trans locked up and it was the original SVX flexplate. This one was the thicker flex plate (I believe the Legacy one).

1)Can someone guide me to which flex plate I should buy
2)Is there any necessary steps that need attention for the next install?
3)Anyone know someone who can do the install without breaking my bank?
Thanks!

I noticed that the original flex plate had less holes than the thicker one:confused: Does this make a difference?

Do you have both alignment pins installed?

dannmarr 11-13-2012 03:26 PM

That was a questioned I asked my mechanic. He had an assistant do the job who no longer works there. Are the alignment pins (2) on the left and right side of the housing? We noticed the holes but could not see inside. Are the pins visible or are they deep inside those holes?

icingdeath88 11-13-2012 03:38 PM

The alignment pins are on either side of the bellhousing and there are 2 of them. Sometimes they stay in the trans side, sometimes the engine side, pretty randomly when you take them apart. I'm not sure whether you could look at it from the right angle to visually check whether they're there. They are pretty important. When the engine and trans are separated while replacing the flex plate, make sure sure they are both present.

svxfiles 11-13-2012 06:15 PM

The webbing on the back of the engine block where the alignment pins go is about 0.55" thick.
The webbing on the transmission bell housing where the alignment pins go is just under 0.40" thick.
The alignment pins are about 0.867" long.
So, if the pin is installed, you SHOULD be able to see it from the back.
But, like icing said, just make sure that the pins are installed the next time.

dannmarr 11-13-2012 09:16 PM

Thanks guys! Honestly, I did not see any pins in those holes. They seemed empty. I might have to bite the bullet and bring it to a trans shop this time.
Would the flex plate crack because of these missing? Anyone have a photo of how it should look with them in?

svxfiles 11-13-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr (Post 715574)
Thanks guys! Honestly, I did not see any pins in those holes. They seemed empty. I might have to bite the bullet and bring it to a trans shop this time.
Would the flex plate crack because of these missing? Anyone have a photo of how it should look with them in?

If you probe the hole with something, Bic pen for example, see how deep the probe can enter.

Gee, someone familiar with SVXi near PA.
Hmmmmmm.:confused:

1986nate 11-13-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 715575)

Your'e about the same distance as me...

I make it out to the Scranton/Wilkes Barre area quite often lately, but I'm usually always pretty busy.

Tim 11-14-2012 05:18 AM

Quote:

If you probe the hole with something, Bic pen for example, see how deep the probe can enter.
[/COLOR]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hocrest 11-14-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

I've used a tool like the one on the right to determine if I'm pulling a trans I just installed.:rolleyes:
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_16048.jpg

benebob 11-14-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 715586)
I've used a tool like the one on the right to determine if I'm pulling a trans I just installed.:rolleyes:
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_16048.jpg

You've pulled a tranny?:confused:

dannmarr 11-14-2012 04:49 PM

I spoke to my mechanic and he believes they were put back in but they probably fell out! :eek: I don't trust mechanics that don't admit their mistakes. I might as well pay extra and have the whole Trans checked at a Trans shop. :(

1986nate 11-14-2012 06:42 PM

it's impossible for them to "fall out" :(

svxfiles 11-14-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 715608)
it's impossible for them to "fall out" :(

What He^ said!
They have to be driven in with a hammer!:rolleyes: