The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Trunk release failure? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54387)

WestCoastSVX 04-29-2010 09:46 PM

Trunk release failure?

All of a sudden my trunk will not open. I pull the release lever by the driver's seat and hear the usual click, but then go back to the trunk and it is not popped and will not lift - even as I pull up enough to get the car up off it's shocks an inch or two. :D

Is it possible something suddenly broke in there?

Unfortunately, I can't open the trunk with the key, as I've owned the car 10 years and never had more than the valet key! :o (yes, for 10 years meaning to get a dealer to see if they can order a key based on VIN or something)

Is this a common failure?

Is there a way to open the trunk from inside the trunk?

Or is my trunk permanently sealed forever? :eek:

Really bad timing on this as I'm in the middle of R&D for a new trunk strut solution.... having only one worn out strut installed currently shouldn't be causing this, should it? :confused:

1986nate 04-29-2010 09:49 PM

Re: Trunk release failure?

There is a switch that is on the trunk latch itself that will cancel the function of the pull trunk release. So you may be able to crawl through the back seats to check that but I'm not sure if there is actual access to it with the trunk closed.

svxcess 04-29-2010 10:41 PM

You can access it through the back seat, provided the back seats are not "Locked" by the switch on the seatbacks.

There is enough room to feel the cancel lever from where the trunklid closes and move it.

Even I did it with my extra-large "sausage-fingers"

ensteele 04-29-2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 645195)
Even I did it with my extra-large "sausage-fingers"

That leaves a very interesting image in my mind! :lol: :lol: :lol:

svxcess 04-30-2010 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 645198)
That leaves a very interesting image in my mind! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny, that's what all the ladies used to say. :)

SoCal LS-L 04-30-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 645189)
There is a switch that is on the trunk latch itself that will cancel the function of the pull trunk release. So you may be able to crawl through the back seats to check that but I'm not sure if there is actual access to it with the trunk closed.

+1

This one has got me a few times.... its easy to switch the lever accidentally and not notice.

WestCoastSVX 04-30-2010 03:00 PM

Yeah I knew all about the trunk lock lever on the latch but like an idiot didn't try that first. I just figured in 10 years I've never accidentally triggered it, so why would I now? :D

But yeah, that was it. :o Most likely since I only had one trunk strut when I closed it the trunk was slightly skewed and the latch hit the plastic trim piece with the opening in it on the way down..

Sorry for making a whole thread about it, but maybe it will help someone who isn't aware of the switch.

Or someone who isn't aware of what meat by-product John's fingers most resemble. :lol:

ensteele 04-30-2010 05:36 PM

I am glad to find it was only operator error instead of a real problem.

What a rookie! :lol: :lol: :lol:

jetboy 03-04-2013 12:16 AM

I'm hoping this is my situation now.

When entering the boot from the back seat side, exactly where should the lever be placed so I can use the trunk release mechanism? Horizontally pointing left (seen from the back seat) or vertically down?

Br,
Reid

WestCoastSVX 03-04-2013 10:24 AM

I hope so too! I figured out after it happened a couple more times over the years that it's because the trim piece at the bottom of the trunk by the bumper, the one with the hole in it that the trunk latch goes into, is a bit loose on my car, missing a couple of plastic tabs, and if it gets knocked slightly to one side, when the trunk lid closes it will flick the cancel switch on it's way down and then this happens! Probably not the best design. :rolleyes:

Anyway, here's a picture of what the cancel switch looks like from the outside of the car, where you would normally activate it standing in front of the trunk.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/639/Opener.JPG

And here's what it looks like from inside the trunk, in the unlocked position. So when you crawl into the trunk from inside the car with the seats down, you would reach your fingers to the left side of the latch area and feel around for that switch to be in the "UP" position (straight out to the left). You would then just flick it down to the position in this picture. There should be a slight click. If you have my problem, you may have to force it as that plastic trim piece will be blocking you from doing so without some effort. But once you have it down, you should be able to go back out and use the release lever as normal and it will open.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/...39/Opener2.JPG

Of course if you have the actual normal master key for your car, the trunk should open with your key regardless of whether the cancel switch is on or not. Then you could just open the trunk with the key and flick the switch from the outside as intended. :)

svxcess 03-04-2013 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Having accidentally hit this lever many times before, I decided to keep this from happening again.

I drilled a tiny hole in the back of the plastic housing (pink dot marks location), just above where the top of the lever is, and just into the front of the housing (not all the way through). I then put a small machine screw in from the rear and into the front. The plastic is quite soft and the threads on the screw cut into the plastic

It is invisible from the front and the lever cannot be accidentally moved because of the screw. Completely and easily reversible.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1362421119

WestCoastSVX 03-04-2013 11:56 AM

Awesome idea John! I should probably do this myself.

jetboy 03-04-2013 02:20 PM

Thanks a lot for the pics.

I managed to bring it into the right position and there was a fairly loud click, I think.

Still, pulling the opener has no audible effect.

I have used at least one of my keys to open the bootlid before but none work now. I don't want to apply too much force and break the key.

I'll have another go at it since the lever was put in "lock" position when the lid was last closed yesterday by a passanger. I know this since it pointed straight to the side when I first entered the boot from the seat.

jetboy 03-04-2013 02:35 PM

Studying the situation closer, it could be that the lock has not properly engaged. The boot is closed and won't come up, I've trieded to push it down.

It seems to be that there are slightly larger gaps there than there should be. With luck tomorrow, I can try to measure the gaps.

Has anyone actually experienced this?

Also, I read it's possible to see the actual cable somewhere, I can check that if the seat opening is large enough to allow the floor to come out?

jetboy 03-05-2013 12:17 PM

Well, well. Yet another victim to the lock arm.

I managed to push it further down now and there was a large snap. Works like a charm now.