The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   It's Alive!!!!!!!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27138)

mikecg 07-03-2005 04:40 PM

It's Alive!!!!!!!!

I got the 5-speed on the wheels and rolling again. I have a few bugs to work out but it's moving under it's own power.

Bugs:
1) Shimys in 1st and Reverse (Could be clutch not broken in yet.
2) radiator leak (Have JB Weld. Added more to it.)
3) Rear Bearings bad
4) Vibrates at speed. (could be drive shaft needs balancing)
5) No Speedo
6) Need to substitute neutral lock with clutch switch.

TomsSVX 07-04-2005 01:45 AM

Very cool mike. The vibration could be due to a bad height in the X-member. dunno but it's worth a looking into.
The speedo- Make sure the sensor is in right. then try a good one to make sure it works properly.

Good luck... And a shimmy slipping into 1st abd second is usual. Did u cut the flywheel?? I had mine cut and it almost took the shimmy completley

Tom

mikecg 07-04-2005 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomssvx
Very cool mike. The vibration could be due to a bad height in the X-member. dunno but it's worth a looking into.
The speedo- Make sure the sensor is in right. then try a good one to make sure it works properly.

Good luck... And a shimmy slipping into 1st abd second is usual. Did u cut the flywheel?? I had mine cut and it almost took the shimmy completley

Tom

How do I determine if it's the x-member?

The speedo on the tranny is cable style. I didnt even attempt to hook it up yet.

I dont understand what you mean by "cut the flywheel" ? I didnt do anything to it.

TomsSVX 07-04-2005 11:36 AM

Ok #1 There is an angular difference between the fender and the top of the intake. It is measured by a level(not bubble type). Someone on here measured the difference on a stock auto and then one on their 5mt. They should be the same between the two cars. try searching it and see what you turn up.

#2 Just mount an SVX speedo into the cable's hole and extend the wires from the stock harness to make it reach the new location.

#3 Resurfacing the flywheel is like having brake rotors cut. They make it a flat surface. if it is warped or burned it will hit the high surface first and cause a lot of "clutch chatter". Which is that shimmy you feel in 1st and reverse. You will need to take the flywheel out to get this done.

If you want to come and take a look at my 5mt to see what I mean feel free. Chike will be comming by my house this upcomming Saturday the 9th. So feel free to stop by. My cell # is 609 276 7279. Give me a call if u want.

Tom

ensteele 07-04-2005 02:15 PM

That's great to hear. I am always happy to hear that we have kept another on the road. :)

mikecg 07-05-2005 10:59 AM

Quote:

If you want to come and take a look at my 5mt to see what I mean feel free. Chike will be comming by my house this upcomming Saturday the 9th. So feel free to stop by. My cell # is 609 276 7279. Give me a call if u want.

Tom

Hmmmmmmm Sounds like a Jersey shore Miny meet

Green1995SVX 07-05-2005 02:25 PM

Mike-

Depending on the clutch you're using you may get some clutch chatter on engagment. I was running the Spec Stage 2 clutch, and i got chatter in first and reverse. It's a normal condition if that's what it is.

Mike

Green1995SVX 07-05-2005 02:26 PM

I was also just thikning it could be your driveshaft banging on the exhaust or on the carrier bearing bracket.

Earthworm 07-05-2005 04:03 PM

The chattering just means you're not driving hard enough! :D

mikecg 07-05-2005 04:29 PM

I have a Clutch Masters Stage 2 Clutch. I figured it could be that.

The shaft isnt hitting the exhaust and there is no carrier bearing or mount for one. I had a single shaft made. However I figured out today that the vibartion at speed is from the shaft. It must have shifted will welding. I jack the car off the ground at all four corners and ran it in 1st gear. I could see the shaft wabbling.

I dont want to run it too hard. The tranny is a used 92 Legacy tranny, so I'm conserned about it surviving. I want to at least make it 1 year.

TomsSVX 07-05-2005 04:37 PM

Hmmm. 5mt detonation is awsome!!!

Is it possible for you to make an appearance at the Atco meet in august?

Tom

n00b on demand 07-05-2005 07:56 PM

Mike i have this saturday off....if you want me to come and take that 5 spd off your hands im more than willing............. :D :D :D

mikecg 07-06-2005 09:28 AM

Quote:

Hmmm. 5mt detonation is awsome!!!

Is it possible for you to make an appearance at the Atco meet in august?

Tom

ATCO is a possibility. I dont know if I'll be driving the 5-speed, but I do want to go.

TomsSVX 07-06-2005 09:41 AM

very cool

Tom