The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A/C Evac does it matter? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20731)

Peach 08-16-2004 10:51 PM

A/C Evac does it matter?

I really think in the near future I will pull my engine to change the flex plate, "what a pain in the ass" and need to discharge the air conditioner system. Does it really matter if a guy just dumps it because it's r134 or is it necessary to go somewhere and have someone else evacuate it. Is it enviromentally irresponsible to just open it and let it fly or what? Any input on this really appreciated. If this was any other car I would get rid of it, but this SVX put some kind of spell on me so I will keep the nickles and dimes coming that it takes to keep the beast alive. :(

b3lha 08-17-2004 02:45 AM

I think the amount of pollution you are going to cause is tiny and insignificant in the big scale of things. I'm sure that most of the mechanics in the world would just open it up and let it go. (Though some might still charge you for evacuating and disposing :eek: )

In some countries, they don't even put a pan under the car when they drain the oil. :rolleyes:

It's good to be concerned about the environment, but it sounds like you have bigger problems to worry about.

svxstarship 08-17-2004 09:15 AM

flexplate

Not 100% sure but I don't think you need to pull the engine to change flex plate. Maybe just drop the trans.

Earthworm 08-17-2004 11:05 AM

Dropping the tranny is easier plus there's lots of room in there once the tranny is out.

Peach 08-17-2004 11:40 AM

If dropping the tranny is easier then that's the way i'll go, altho at this point none of it sounds easy. I noticed in the Chilton's they say " don't put the tranny jack under the pan as damage could result," Geez, where else would the jack go! The SVX is becoming like an old Harley, if you own one you better know how to work on it... I prefer driving it.:rolleyes: Anyway thanks for the advice.

want-a-fast-svx 08-17-2004 01:17 PM

Auto tranny removal isn't that hard just make sure you have people to help and a good jack, b/c i did by myself with just a pallet on the jack and managed to remove it fairly quickly. I will say though the manual is like a toy to take on and off compared to that beast..

Peach 08-17-2004 01:22 PM

The more testimony I hear the braver i'm getting!:D :D

Mr. Pockets 08-17-2004 04:16 PM

I used an ATV / motorcycle jack, which I bought at Sam's, to support the tranny. It lays very flat and offers a very wide platform to support the tranny.

It cost me about $80, but was well worth that price.

IggDawg 08-18-2004 08:22 AM

R12 needs to be drained and contained. nasty stuff.

BUT... R134 is harmless. Next time you're using a can of compressed air to clean off your keyboard or dust something detailed, take a look at the ingredients ;).