The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ABS shaking everytime I press brake pedal since rear wheel bearing change (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64483)

THE NEW GUY 12-04-2017 09:04 AM

ABS shaking everytime I press brake pedal since rear wheel bearing change

Hello Guys,
Since I changed my rear wheel bearings some months ago, I noticed my ABS is activating every single time I brake. First the ABS light came on so I added some spacers to reduce the distance between the ABS sensors and the target crown. after that, the ABS light does not come on but I feel the ABS pump is activating each time I brake, right at the point when I release a little the pressure on the brake pedal. During summer, to avoid this anuance, I removed the big fuse of the ABS pump, but now, in winter, with all this ice, I need my ABS back so I replace the fuse and the problem araised again. Do you think one of my ABS sensor was damaged during the bearing replacement process?
Any comment will help.
Thanks.

huck369 12-04-2017 09:17 AM

Re: ABS shaking everytime I press brake pedal since rear wheel bearing change

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE NEW GUY (Post 747754)
Hello Guys,
Since I changed my rear wheel bearings some months ago, I noticed my ABS is activating every single time I brake. First the ABS light came on so I added some spacers to reduce the distance between the ABS sensors and the target crown. after that, the ABS light does not come on but I feel the ABS pump is activating each time I brake, right at the point when I release a little the pressure on the brake pedal. During summer, to avoid this anuance, I removed the big fuse of the ABS pump, but now, in winter, with all this ice, I need my ABS back so I replace the fuse and the problem araised again. Do you think one of my ABS sensor was damaged during the bearing replacement process?
Any comment will help.
Thanks.

Yes, Damaged sensor would be my first guess...

THE NEW GUY 12-04-2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369 (Post 747758)
Yes, Damaged sensor would be my first guess...

Loved your article on the XT's page.

huck369 12-04-2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE NEW GUY (Post 747762)
Loved your article on the XT's page.

Why thank you :)

SVX_MY_BABY 12-05-2017 06:57 AM

If you have a lot of rust, the part which looks like cogs on a gear which the sensor looks at, may be corroded to the point that the sensor can't detect the gaps in-between. (don't know it's name)

THE NEW GUY 12-05-2017 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY (Post 747766)
If you have a lot of rust, the part which looks like cogs on a gear which the sensor looks at, may be corroded to the point that the sensor can't detect the gaps in-between. (don't know it's name)

I call it "the target crown". And no, there's no rust there. I actually add spacers to make it closer to the sensor and it s better, but still annoying.

Alex-svx 12-09-2017 04:45 PM

Have the same on mine, when i am on the track.
The first hard/full brake, then the ABS light came on, and if i stop the car and start it again, Then the ABS light i gone.

And i have had some vibration when i have the foot on the brake pedal when i stop the car (engine running) is it abs sensor. I will take a diagnose but the car is in jack stand now. hehe