The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Wheels / Tires (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   tires (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26919)

KCROGUEDOG 06-21-2005 04:53 PM

tires

im slow approaching my long drive to the states and im going to need new rubber. i want something that works in rain good and would be a good handling street tire. i got stock 16 and will have the koni/coil drop .75rear and 1.5in front. should i run a different size tire bigger or smaller wider or narrower? who is really impressed with the tires they got and why?

Rotorflyr 06-21-2005 09:42 PM

Are you going to be staying in the lower or driving back to AK??
What kinda budget do you have for tires (and other car realted stuff?)

KCROGUEDOG 06-21-2005 09:56 PM

not coming back to ak and car will be put up some up for winter. but i would like to go with a high rated tire. z rated. and no budget. will be in MO for awhile. i like to drive kind of hard and fast. i saw the commercial for the mich hydro they looked ok but i need options. hit me with options.

Rotorflyr 06-21-2005 10:03 PM

If it were me, I'd buy the cheapest(read: inexpensive, not crap) readily available tires (so if there is a problem anywhere along the route it can be taken care of) that have a warranty, and then when back home, buy "real" tires. As for what classifies as a "real" tire, decide for yourself.
Any particular reason for the z rated? And do you want strictly summer tires or looking for all-seasons?
Also for the largest # of tire reviews check out tirerack (they also have good prices and great customer service)

KCROGUEDOG 06-22-2005 08:34 AM

i want the drive to be as safe as posible with a little curvy road fun.

Jnthn_Sctt 06-22-2005 09:57 AM

TireRack Link

Just my two cents, but I've got the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S tires and have no complaints. Great traction all around, no hydroplaning at 75+ in heavy rain.

Others here have them and like them.

Hope this helps

Jonathan

KCROGUEDOG 06-22-2005 01:17 PM

ty john thats what i need responses like that. no offense rotor.

Kiteless 06-22-2005 02:48 PM

Personally I am all about the "inexpensive" tire. Check out these guys

Kumho ECSTA ASX (Ultra High Performance All-Season)

I am in Northern California so I think I am going to spring for a summer tire, they do well on rain and I never EVER drive in snow.

I think i am going to get these next Friday:

Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 (Ultra High Performance Summer)

- Jason

sharky512345 06-22-2005 11:42 PM

how are the continental extreme contacts? and the yokohama V4's? I would have gotten the p zero neros m+s but my brother has gotten 2 sets of them and on the first set the sidewall blew out right away. second set sidewall on both left tires blew out on them. but that kid is *special* andddddd so how are those other tires?

KCROGUEDOG 06-23-2005 12:12 AM

found the tires i will buy and try the michlen hydro for 120 a piece. being in alaska where im at tires can get pricey i found out today. so at our stock size avalabity is an issue so i went to wally world (wal mart) and they order for free and i got i friends discount. it was them or the goodyear assurance 110 a piece. i read the specs on both and the hydros rated high on all when compared 9.0 in all aspects but snow with a 7.3 rating.

Rotorflyr 06-23-2005 01:38 AM

KC,
No offense taken, and it sounds like you got a good price on the tires.
Just so you know, my reason for suggesting "cheap" tires was due to the fact that some of the AK to Lower US roads can be pretty rough, and I figure why f-up a good tire, and have to replace it when you get to the lower states, better to f-up an inexpensive tire! :D (besides the fact that pretty much everything is overpriced in AK, why spend the x-tra when you don't have to)

SVXer95 06-23-2005 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiteless
Personally I am all about the "inexpensive" tire. Check out these guys

Kumho ECSTA ASX (Ultra High Performance All-Season)

I am in Northern California so I think I am going to spring for a summer tire, they do well on rain and I never EVER drive in snow.

I think i am going to get these next Friday:

Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 (Ultra High Performance Summer)

- Jason

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT buy the 712's. They are awful tires. Noisy, not very sticky, not good in the wet or dry. If you want something in that price range look at Falkens.

benebob 06-23-2005 09:16 AM

I agree with Collin (if you're looking in the lower but still good tire price range). Falkens are great and I've also been looking at some Nittos that have been decently recommended. The bad about both are that the tire tread designs change on a whim but the model doesn't so if you'd get a flat you're somewhat out of luck finding a matching replacement. If I understand that you're planning a cross country trip though I highly recommend a full size spare anyways. It'll fit just take some trunk space away.

KCROGUEDOG 06-23-2005 09:56 AM

i think the car is going on a boat (ferry) near juneau and we will depart the boat with car in bellingham wa and proceed down the coast to lower cali and on to vegas and thru colorado and finally ending up in kc mo. so no alcan crap road. just highway cruisen. i got the spare that came with the 97. im not sure if it is full sized. i dont see why they would give the car a smaller spare if u can f up your diff and tranny do to awd. dummies

benebob 06-23-2005 10:19 AM

Not smaller in diameter but smaller in width. Its a doughnut and isn't good for more than 250 miles or so before its totally worn. (trust me I know as mine was toast waiting for a new wheel to come in when I bent my original). With wheel prices a low as they are, I'd definately recommend it as good insurance. Just rotate it in every 3k and you should be totally fine provided you don't do burn outs every day.