The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rear Diff Problems? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31512)

SubyLuver 02-13-2006 11:13 AM

Rear Diff Problems?

How to explain it..... If I am gasing the car on snowy roads the tires will slip for a bit then a jerk from the rear end hits and more power goes to the back, is this a rear diff mount or does the rear diff have problems itself?
Symptoms to look for?

oab_au 02-13-2006 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubyLuver
How to explain it..... If I am gasing the car on snowy roads the tires will slip for a bit then a jerk from the rear end hits and more power goes to the back, is this a rear diff mount or does the rear diff have problems itself?
Symptoms to look for?

The symptoms suggest that the Transfer valve is sticking. The fix is to replace the C Solenoid/transfer valve assemble, and clutch plates, in the rear section of the transmission.
If it is not fixed, damage can be caused to the front differential, or the AWD clutch hub.

Harvey.;)

Earthworm 02-13-2006 04:01 PM

He's right. My tranny started doing that but the high clutch failed before any of the failures he mentioned happened.

SubyLuver 02-14-2006 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
He's right. My tranny started doing that but the high clutch failed before any of the failures he mentioned happened.

Is this something that requires a tranny overhaul to replace? Solenoid C? Isnt that inside the tranny? I am wondering if it would be cheaper to let the tranny go and pay for a 5mt instead?

huck369 02-14-2006 10:03 AM

Solinoid "c" and the transfer clutches are in the tail housing of the tranny, and can be replaced with the tranny in the car...just have to remove the exhaust, tranny crossmember, and drive shaft to remove the tail housing to get at them.

SubyLuver 02-15-2006 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369
Solinoid "c" and the transfer clutches are in the tail housing of the tranny, and can be replaced with the tranny in the car...just have to remove the exhaust, tranny crossmember, and drive shaft to remove the tail housing to get at them.

I assume the parts are listed on this page, but I do not know what parts to look for, some direction would help and also help me figure which limb my mechanic is going to take(since I am low on cash):(

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=170-A

Any other direction to parts would be a nice help, I've noticed 1stsubaru has a little bit better pricing too so I will check there once I figure out what I need.

Oh yeah, BTW my Tranny code is 11 but I think that is because of the smallcar kit that I have installed?

DarknessofDeath 02-15-2006 08:14 AM

tranny code 11

i'm sure that was mentioned in another thread on the Q and A.

i recall the answer being too much resistance with the small car and the stock resistor combined ~

huck369 02-15-2006 08:21 AM

The Transfer clutches are #1 (metal plates) and #2 (Friction plates) in that diagram, but the "C" solinoid is not in that diagram....
The C-Solinoid is # 9 in this diagram
Diagram

SubyLuver 02-15-2006 08:37 AM

Quote:

The Transfer clutches are #1 (metal plates) and #2 (Friction plates) in that diagram, but the "C" solinoid is not in that diagram....
The C-Solinoid is # 9 in this diagram
Diagram

Is this something a Wanna-be Mechanic is ok to attempt? hehe I can do brakes and various other things but the most I have done to my tranny is replaced the internal filter :D

huck369 02-15-2006 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubyLuver
Is this something a Wanna-be Mechanic is ok to attempt? hehe I can do brakes and various other things but the most I have done to my tranny is replaced the internal filter :D

It's pretty straight forward.....just like changing the clutches on a dirt bike...

SubyLuver 02-15-2006 08:51 AM

If anyone has a tech manual and could scan a couple pages of how to on this that would be great, I am not sure a Haynes will cover this technical of a job. Or if anyone knows where I could obtain a how to on it that would be great.

SubyLuver 02-19-2006 07:49 AM

In this part of the transmission, should I expect a bunch of tranny fluid to drop? any other things to watch out for while doing this job?

intelisevil 02-19-2006 09:44 PM

Quote:

Are there any other items you would suggest replacing while it's open?

How about item #3? It comes in various thicknesses (3.3mm, 3.7mm, 4.1mm, 4.5mm), how would we know if the one we have is the correct thickness for the new plates?

Has anyone done a "How-To" on this? I searched but couldn't find one. Suggested parts list including gaskets, muffler pipe bolts, etc. and bloody dissection pictures would be a good thing to have. Pictures to scare off those of us who are almost willing to try it, but recognize our limits. Parts list so we can buy all of the needed parts to take down to our local trusted mechanic to make the repair for us.

Thanks, Dan

SVX-FF 02-21-2006 01:53 PM

Hey Subyluver,

Give me a PM and I can show you how to do it. I have done one. It takes about 4 to 5 hours. The tranny fluid drains forever. :eek:
It is not that hard. I actually have a rear section off of a tranny if you want I can take some pics for you.

Steve