The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Driver's window switch (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15307)

Wocketman 12-30-2003 12:04 AM

Driver's window switch

Ok, SVX newbie here....needing some simple sage wisdom:
My driver's side window switch has ceased functioning and is very wiggly anyway. Has anyone pulled off a simple repair or is it time to buy a new main window switch assembly from a dealer (ouch$!). I'm bummed since it was working pretty much ok when I bought the car a couple months ago...but it felt like it was getting loose. Oh well!

Seraph 12-30-2003 12:39 AM

I did a howto clean that ages ago. I am not sure if it is still there. It's very easy to do and clean it first. Then get a replacement.

SubaSteevo 12-30-2003 11:08 AM

Cleaning it is probably not going to solve your problem, but I have fixed mine another way. The way the switch works is it pivots back and forth like a seesaw and on either side there is a peg that is pushed down. What happened to my switch was the clip that held the switch on one side of the seesaw snapped. To fix it I took a paper clip, heated it up, and then stuck it through the side of the switch to create a new pivot point. I posted a mini how-to somewhere, you could try searching my sn for "window switch fixed" or something like that. New switches will run you about $100 shipped from subaruparts.com depending on whether you want the one from a 92 with auto up/down or a later one with only auto down. My auto doesn't work at all, but I can live with that for $100.

ensteele 12-30-2003 11:45 AM

Steve

If you find the mini how to, let me know or send it to me. I will post it in the How-To locker. To email it to me - click on Earl below and that is my email address.

ensteele 12-30-2003 12:02 PM

I did the search and found it. Thanks :)

Wocketman 12-30-2003 04:14 PM

Thanks gang!

So I'm hoping you're going to post that How-To thread? Of course any pointers or warnings on getting the switch out of the door in the first place would be good....;) I certainly don't need to break more stuff than I fix!

SubaSteevo 12-30-2003 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Wocketman
Thanks gang!

So I'm hoping you're going to post that How-To thread? Of course any pointers or warnings on getting the switch out of the door in the first place would be good....;) I certainly don't need to break more stuff than I fix!

Here's the link:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...=window+switch

To get the door panel off their are two visible screws near the hinge. Under the handle there is a plastic cover, pop that off with a flathead and there is another screw under there. If you pull up the felt inside of the hole in the armrest there are three more screws. After all screws are removed, pull on the bottom corner of the door near the light to pop off a couple of clips, then you need to pop off all the other clips on the bottom and side, then lift the panel straight up to pop the clips near the window (you will need to use some force, but just don't forget there are wires holding it in place). There are two bundles of wires plugged in, there are little tabs on the connectors to disconnect them. After you have the panel completely off I think there are four small screws to take off the switch cluster. You can use my paperclip method to fix it if you like, but once it's off you may be able to figure out a better solution. Good luck.

Wocketman 12-30-2003 07:56 PM

"Much Garcia!"
(Norcal Dead-head for thanks...)

Got the door off, the switch apart, and discovered that the plastic switch "knob" had split it's little receptacle that holds the tiny actuator for the "real" switch below that. Several efforts with super glue couldn't hold it together, so I used a combo of glue and a tiny screw tapped in from the top of the knob (I can live with a tiny phillips head screw under my finger when using the knob) that goes into the little actuator. Got it all together and it's working great! Don't know how long it will last but at the moment I'm quite full of myself....:p

Earthworm 01-03-2004 05:27 PM

Glue has worked for me so far. I've fixed 4 switches and so far only 1 has caused additional problems.

poweredx2 01-05-2004 11:07 AM

simple solution

Just disconnect one of your rear window switches wiring from the driver control panel and wire the driver side to the rear switch,bam works like new.:)

SubaSteevo 01-05-2004 12:39 PM

Re: simple solution

Quote:

Originally posted by poweredx2
Just disconnect one of your rear window switches wiring from the driver control panel and wire the driver side to the rear switch,bam works like new.:)
Except everytime you put down your drivers window (to pay a toll for example) both windows would go down

dromano 10-03-2011 08:07 AM

Re: Driver's window switch

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 168847)
I did the search and found it. Thanks :)

Can you send me the link? My driver switch will open the passenger window, won't close it, have to use the passenger button to close.:mad: