The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   CD Player illumination (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7004)

svxcess 11-14-2002 12:02 PM

CD Player illumination

Are the bulbs in the CD player that illuminate the below the "Play/stop" and "track" buttons replaceable? I know that the entire assembly has to be removed in order to do this. Has anyone replaced these bulbs?

If not, I am interested in purchasing a stock CD player in working condition (with bulbs working)

Green1995SVX 11-14-2002 01:35 PM

Same here... on all counts.

Mike

sfsvx 11-14-2002 07:14 PM

Re: CD Player illumination

Quote:

Originally posted by svxcess
Are the bulbs in the CD player that illuminate the below the "Play/stop" and "track" buttons replaceable? I know that the entire assembly has to be removed in order to do this. Has anyone replaced these bulbs?

If not, I am interested in purchasing a stock CD player in working condition (with bulbs working)

According to Aredub, they're replaceable. They're soldered in, but apparently are easily accessible once you remove the unit.

I'd suggest pulling the player and taking a look. If the job seems to be within your powers, go for it. I'm contemplating learning how to solder just so I can control my player at night.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Aredubjay 11-14-2002 09:26 PM

Once the unit is removed, the face easily comes off the unit. Then, there's a circuit board that unplugs. You can then, desolder the light recepticals and replace the bulbs, much like replacing them in the switches. Then, resolder the receptical with the new bulbs. It looks like it uses the same mini lamps as the switches.

svx_commuter 11-15-2002 11:19 AM

I have noticed sometimes that ALL the lights come on or go out.
Is this the same thing as burned out bulbs? or is there a switch in the unit that turns these lights on and off? Somtimes the unit brightens up on it's own and then dims. Similar to the pressing the bright button on the end of the blinker stalk. :)

Well anyway...... How do you know if it's the bulbs or some other switch thing in the unit? :)

Aredubjay 11-15-2002 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter
I have noticed sometimes that ALL the lights come on or go out.
Is this the same thing as burned out bulbs? or is there a switch in the unit that turns these lights on and off? Somtimes the unit brightens up on it's own and then dims. Similar to the pressing the bright button on the end of the blinker stalk. :)

Well anyway...... How do you know if it's the bulbs or some other switch thing in the unit? :)

I'm guessing (only guessing, mind you) that the anomoly you're talking about is due to some corrosion, or bad connection in the bright/dim circuit tied to the lights. Normally, when you turn on your lights, your display would automatically dim, and, when you turned them off, the radio frequency window ONLY would brighten and the rest of the lights go off (daylight mode). Perhaps some contact cleaner, or similar could take care of this problem, either on the inside circuit board, or in the connectors in the harness. Obviously, you wouldn't want to do this with the CD unit without covering the laser lens. As for knowing if the bulbs are burnt, you just have to watch, at night, for the lights coming on -- if portions NEVER come on, then, that bulb or, those bulbs, are shot. Perhaps I can snap a shot of the locations of the bulbs with my webcam tonight, if I can keep the rest of the fam off the computer for a minute or two. :D