The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   slow and hungry (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10117)

juan 04-17-2003 06:37 PM

slow and hungry

QUE PASA!!????
I don`t know that is happening with my car, the "BASURU" (lovely name) . It doesn`t run fast and It "eat" a lot of gas!. I replace sparks (Bosch+4), filter (K&N), Oil (synthetic), clean the injectors, check the compression (200 psi in 4 cylinders and 170 in the other two), new gas filter, I check the coils (all are OK), clean the TPS, Exhaust system is OK (Is aftermarket), Replace vacuum hoses, gas pressure regulator .....
The ECU doesn`t "say" nothing , but do you thing th O2 Sensors would be the problem???
Ayudenme por favor!!!!!
BTW, I need a new windshield!!!

Saludos desde Mexico

Juan

I`m Happyyyyyyy!!!!
I`m going to be a father!!!:) :D

Mr. Pockets 04-17-2003 09:48 PM

Juan,

I think you're the first SVX owner from Mexico to join our site - welcome aboard!

What kind of driving do you do in your SVX? Mine gets excellent mileage on the freeway, but city driving causes the numbers to plummet. This seems to be the case with everybody else's SVX, as well. What can I say? It's a heavy car, and getting it moving from a stop over and over again takes a lot of energy.

You're going to be a father? Congratulations, man!

svxcess 04-19-2003 12:00 PM

How many miles are on your 92? I know that a bad O2 sensor (There are two of them on your car) will cause the car to run in a sluggish manner and use quite a bit of gas. They are relatively easy to get to once your car is on a lift.

I had a 92 with 173,000 miles in it when I sold it and it had the original O2 sensors on it and got about 23 mpg.

My 96 just had new O2 sensors put in at only 52,000 miles. The car was not responsive and the mileage went down to almost 15mpg.

want-a-fast-svx 04-19-2003 06:17 PM

was your car spitting any codes for the o2 sensor or no???Just curious..thanks

juan 04-20-2003 12:22 AM

No codes

No, any code was spitting from the ECU. I disconect one of the O2 Sensors and...... nothing happend!:confused:

svx_commuter 04-21-2003 10:18 AM

That may be a problem with the ECU. :(

Mr. Pockets 04-21-2003 03:38 PM

Re: No codes

Quote:

Originally posted by juan
No, any code was spitting from the ECU. I disconect one of the O2 Sensors and...... nothing happend!:confused:
I think that the ECU is designed to not report a faulty sensor until it's a consistent problem. If you disconnected an O2 sensor, took it for a drive, then reconnected it, I don't think you'd see any codes reported by the computer. I think you have to run it a few times with a bad (or disconnected) sensor and then it'll give you a code.

I saw the same thing with my TCU. I disconnected the line resistor and didn't see the 'power' light blinking until the third or fourth time I started it with the resistor connected.

juan 04-22-2003 08:56 AM

New Sensors

Finaly, I decided to replace both sensors, I did that last weekend. The car feels better. I filled the gas tank and I`m going to monitoring the gas this week. I bough universal sensors, 530 pesos plus tax, (around 50 dlls. each). Old sensors look good.:eek:

Mr. Pockets 04-22-2003 10:19 AM

I think that the car might benefit from having the ECU reset, too, Juan. Leave the battery disconnected overnight. You'll have to reset the clock and your radio presets, but you might see a more significant improvement.