The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Coil mount >> technique/torque value? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8419)

James Scott 01-24-2003 09:51 PM

Coil mount >> technique/torque value?

I was swapping a new coil pack with one of the existing ones (right front cylinder[don't know the numbers?]) to test if it's working (one cylinder at a time - to diagnose poor engine performance). As I was putting the new one in, I noticed (I didn't notice when I changed all plugs about 3 months ago) that the coil turns quite a bit as the bolt is tightened! My questions:

1. Is the coil turning (at least 1/4 inch) during tightening of the coil mounting bolt something to worry about? It seems like it's turning enough to really put pressure on the plug(s)! Should I (we) support the one side (under the head of the coil) against the cam (rocker) cover to limit the movement?

2. Whaz the tork spek?

THANKS GUYS, Jim :D

gl1674 01-24-2003 11:36 PM

What do you mean turning? The hole is on a side of the coil and as soon as the bolt is threaded it stops it from turning. The coil goes in by finger pressure and completely seats there. The bolt does not press it in any further.

James Scott 01-25-2003 01:20 AM

COIL TURNS clockwise

The coil itself rotates (with the bolt as the center of the rotation) clockwise as the bolt is tightened. The rotation is stopped by the rubber-tipped end of the coil connector pressing against one side of the spark plug ceramic shaft. I'm not talking about the bolt turning, but instead the coil moving in the direction (up or down) that the bolt is turning BEFORE it stops. [Wish I could draw a picture - it would be easy to understand! I hope I've clarified it.] Let me know.

Thanks, Jim ]:confused:

gl1674 01-27-2003 12:30 AM

Oh well. I only seen mines do that when I missed and the coil was not sitting on the plug at all. When they it positioned on the plug, there is not much space for it to go up or down.
The only other possibility is that the spark plug itself is cracked/broken, but it would not fire then, would it?

The tork spec - don't know too lazy to list through the service manual (Subaru has not discovered a thing called index yet). From top of my head I would assume something in the range of 10NM, but it's kinda pointless since I don't think you'll be able to use a torque wrench there - not enough clearance.

James Scott 01-27-2003 09:40 AM

coil "rotating" . . . . .

Ya No! I'm sure I'm on the plug or it wouildn't go in at all.

Doesn't your torque wrench fit in there? HA!, just kidding! The reason I asked is that my coil bolts were very hard to get off - I didn't want to crack them when replacing. The coil spins because there is a "soft" rubber liner on the tip of the electrode end of the coil which fits against the ceramic shaft of the spark plug. Also, there's only one bolt with no rigid complimentary stop to prevent the coil from turning, at least 1/8 to 1/4 inch.

Thanks, :)