The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is Transmission Cooler Making Engine Run Hotter? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33712)

LarryGreen 06-16-2006 09:54 AM

Is Transmission Cooler Making Engine Run Hotter?

I installed a transmission cooler over the winter and mounted it in front of the radiator. Now that summer is here, it seems that the engine runs a little hotter than before, which I guess would make sense (the cooler outside air is now heated somewhat by the transmission cooler before getting to the radiator). I say this because I hear the radiator fan come on much more frequently than before. The temperature guage still stays in the center, but I'd feel a little better if there was some way to cool down the engine. Has anyone experienced this situation, and any ideas? Thanks.

benebob 06-16-2006 10:31 AM

It shouldn't make any noticable difference but any cut in flow can change things. 1st I'd get a leak down/pressure test of the coolant system done. Remember unless you have a new pump and radiator you're asking a lot for 10+ year old systems to do. Water wetter actually works too!

nipper 06-16-2006 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
It shouldn't make any noticable difference but any cut in flow can change things. 1st I'd get a leak down/pressure test of the coolant system done. Remember unless you have a new pump and radiator you're asking a lot for 10+ year old systems to do. Water wetter actually works too!

A coolant flush wouldnt hurt either. Keeps the water pump happy too.

nipper

LarryGreen 06-16-2006 11:07 AM

I have the engine coolant flushed every other year, and the engine runs perfectly (although now that I've said that, it will probably blow up on the way home). The fan just comes on a little more frequently than before the installation of the transmission cooler.

benebob 06-16-2006 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryGreen
I have the engine coolant flushed every other year, and the engine runs perfectly (although now that I've said that, it will probably blow up on the way home). The fan just comes on a little more frequently than before the installation of the transmission cooler.

Like I said a pressure test of the system will tell ya if it is getting to the 13lbs or whatever it needs to cool properly. Could be a simple as a bad seal on the cap or a thermostat that doesn't allow enough flow or sometimes too much. Stants are know for this!

intellibomb 06-16-2006 12:17 PM

mine seems to get overhot too (moresso than normal) with the cooler hooked up.

my car kept overheating, so i ditched the thermostat.

i know i need a water pump, but my radiator is new. i dunno.
i say make sure that the filters and fluid in your tranny are clean and clear, otherwise you are producing more heat than a well tuned system will.

benebob 06-16-2006 04:43 PM

[QUOTE=intellibomb].

my car kept overheating, so i ditched the thermostat.

[QUOTE]

That's probably not a real wise thing to do. From what I've been told by mechanic friends that an aluminum engine tends to run hotter w/o a t-stat because the waterpump can push more water then the t-stat allows so basically the water runs through faster than it can absorb heat and then gives the sensors a false reading of a lower temp then the engine is actually running at. I know it rang true when I ran my XT w/o a thermostat. Granted you're pump may be not up to the task of pushing it that fast now but my guess it probably is as they tend not to loose pushing power as they age.

Budfreak 06-16-2006 05:03 PM

Definitely try Red Line Water Wetter. It does work pretty well as I use it in my SVX and I used it in my GTA too. As for the thermostat discussion, Running without a thermostat is not a good thing to do on any car, But that holds especially true in computer controlled cars and aluminum engines. Just my 2 cents.:rolleyes::)