The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Noise in rear (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27480)

msvx95 07-22-2005 10:10 AM

Noise in rear

Not sure what this could be, but curious if my AWD clutches are binding:

At very slow speeds....particularly in parking lots while coming to a stop and turning or starting to accelerate when turning, I hear this low bass noise from the rear....small vibration with it.

Can anyone tell me what they think is going on?.....I'm not sure what a failing bearing sounds like in this car, my tires are all the same size and tread is worn evenly on all.....so what's left? something with the differential, etc?

What is a typical cost to fix the AWD clutches if they are worn?

Thanks,

ensteele 07-22-2005 10:41 AM

Have you rulled out the wheel bearings? The next thing you can do is go to a parking lot with lots of room. Do some figure eights (slow speed - not donuts) which would be hard over to hard over in the other direction. Check to see if you have binding or clunking sounds. Good luck. :)

ssnsltd 07-22-2005 10:47 AM

I would put in the fuse (10 amp under the hood in front of overflow bottle) to make it temp FWD and try to see if the sound persists.

It happens when you accelerate AND when you Brake while turning?

msvx95 07-22-2005 11:11 AM

Figure 8's sound fun......should I use the fuse when I do the 8's or do them before I check the system with the fuse

Also when I put in the fuse, what will I notice....anything on startup? any blinking lights on dash?.....And when I take it out, should everything be the same way it was before it was put in?

msvx95 07-22-2005 11:13 AM

I think it only happens when I press the pedal and turn slow.......I ruled out wheel bearings just because I have been driving through the city and highway and didn't notice any noise or feel any vibrations.....

ssnsltd 07-22-2005 11:54 AM

If it happens on acceleration only, my guess is you have a U-joint going out on the prop-shaft.
Do you get any of the symptoms if you just floor it in a straight line?

By putting in the fuse you disengage the power to that half of the car. If you still get the noise/symptoms with it in, that pretty much rules out the prop-shaft.

Go thorugh a specific series of moves with the fuse out(normal), then duplicate that with it in.

Earthworm 07-22-2005 12:21 PM

Lay off the beans!! :D

Seriously though, at what speeds do you hear this noise?

94svxred 07-22-2005 03:49 PM

How did you find out about the 10amp fuse thing :confused: VERY CLEVER ;) . Not an issue for me due to mine being a fwd L , but stll very clever :p

ensteele 07-22-2005 04:29 PM

The AWD models have the fuse in the box so that it can be switched to FWD in case of a problem with the transmission. that way you could limp home. :D

94svxred 07-22-2005 05:29 PM

Thanks EARL ;) See it just goes to show ya , You learn something everyday! :D

ssnsltd 07-22-2005 06:21 PM

Actualy I learned about the fuse trick from this realy cool
Forum

msvx95 07-25-2005 04:54 AM

I should have some time next weekend to take notes with and without the fuse in.
Let's see, for what I can remember, the noise happens just very briefly when the car starts to accelerate in a straight line with the wheel straight........not while moving though.
Also I noticed the noise present when I go and turn the wheel to the left as I pull into a parking space in a parking lot...Not on the gas though.....pretty much just rolling into the spot. (I still have to check turning the other way, but this is what I have noted in my memory so far)