The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Noise from the Rear of the Car (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5242)

123taika 08-05-2002 06:52 PM

Noise from the Rear of the Car

I have a 1992 SVX LSL with 97,000 miles. Due to noise coming from the rear of the car, I have replaced both rear wheel bearings. But, I still have a low rumbling noise. Is it possible that the noise comes from the tires, which are Bridgestone. This noise is more pronounced when driven between 15 and 20 mph. Need advise. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Walter

Kamaleon 08-05-2002 07:24 PM

ohh.. that sound..

i currently have the same issue but for the front part.. and is not the bearing because it would sound at any speed plus i had the bearings checked by an svx tech at a dealer. (my sound is more like a wooble sound between 15mph and 25mph)

I talked to someone else in this board some time ago about this and it seems that it could be the driveshaft. My front U conection for the driveshaft could be worn out. I havent had a change to check upon this since my precious svx in atlanta and im in texas right now.. (long story but i bought it as my wedding car, for when i get married in 2 weeks)

Ill have that checked and fix afer the the wedding, but if you get it fixed sooner i woul dlike to know what was it and how was it fix.

;)

FlagstaffSVX 08-07-2002 04:47 AM

Just to let you know, you can get replacement U-Joints from Rockford driveline. Go to their website or check your locl parts/driveline businesses. The mechanic that looked at my car wanted me to buy an entire new driveshaft from the dealership for 550. Three U-Joints from RRR Driveline in town, 27.00.

huck369 08-07-2002 05:42 AM

The sound could also be your rear diff, have you checked the grease in it lately?

Aredubjay 08-07-2002 09:14 AM

Re: Noise from the Rear of the Car

Quote:

Originally posted by 123taika
I have a 1992 SVX LSL with 97,000 miles. Due to noise coming from the rear of the car, I have replaced both rear wheel bearings. But, I still have a low rumbling noise. Is it possible that the noise comes from the tires, which are Bridgestone. This noise is more pronounced when driven between 15 and 20 mph. Need advise. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Walter

Walter,
Is this a "rumble" or a "rubbing" sound? I have a "rubbing" sound, as if the brakes are scrubbing, but, it does not change with the application of the brakes (or the e-brake). When I took it to a shop in town, they said, "don't worry about it unless it gets louder." It hasn't so, I don't worry about it. I've driven thousands of miles since I first heard the noise, with no problems. Let me know if you find the true source. Oh, and yes, I've had the rear diff checked on numerous occasions -- oil's fine.

DWayne2910 08-07-2002 09:42 PM

Noise

Walter
If sound is a rumble, try running car over various
road surfaces...if sound changes, likely cause is
tires.
Dan

red95svx 08-09-2002 03:42 PM

tires could be making noise

I just recently replaced two of my tires because the alignment was off on my SVX. It was so bad that I chewed up two Bridgestone Potenza RE730's in less than 18,000 miles. One of them had gone completely bald all along the outer edge. I thought it was a wheel bearing because the worn tires were making a very similar noise. From now on I will check my tires every month and I plan on having the alignment done twice a year.