The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Crankshaft Pulley (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51071)

ensteele 07-25-2009 06:18 PM

Crankshaft Pulley

I am looking for a crankshaft pulley. I can go to a one piece or the OEM. I have found that the OEM is $148.00 + shipping, and Motorsports has a lightweight one piece for $140.00. Are there any other options besides a used one? I really don't want to go that way. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. :)

redlightningsvx 07-25-2009 06:23 PM

Re: Crankshaft Pulley

$115 shipped http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

LetItSnow 07-25-2009 06:42 PM

If you're not opposed to a used lightweight (one piece - how can you go wrong?) they're easy to score on NASIOC.

michael 07-25-2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 611092)
I am looking for a crankshaft pulley. I can go to a one piece or the OEM. I have found that the OEM is $148.00 + shipping, and Motorsports has a lightweight one piece for $140.00. Are there any other options besides a used one? I really don't want to go that way. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. :)

If you can wait keep checking ebay for subaru harmonic balancer or crank pulley. I'm pretty sure all 95 +up subarus all use the same pulley. Not so sure about pre 95. I'm in the process of putting one from my outback on my SVX.

Mike621 07-25-2009 07:46 PM

Earl, I am running a black aluminum Perrin pulley on my Claret. It is the stock diameter and I will be ordering a second one for my Ebony.

$90 + Shipping on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Perri...Q5fAccessories

alia176 07-25-2009 09:58 PM

The original intent of this pulley is to be a harmonic balancer so can I assume that going with a one piece, billet alum with no shock absorbing rubber is ok? Just curious, that all!

Crazy_pilot 07-25-2009 10:13 PM

There is a disclaimer on Perrin's website that states the pulley may adversely affect engine life. I think that's more in response to a lot of arm waving by "informed" internet people than actual fact though.

SoCal LS-L 07-25-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alia176 (Post 611134)
The original intent of this pulley is to be a harmonic balancer so can I assume that going with a one piece, billet alum with no shock absorbing rubber is ok? Just curious, that all!

Horizontally opposed engines need no harmonic balancer. Thats only for V and straight block.

oab_au 07-26-2009 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 611139)
Horizontally opposed engines need no harmonic balancer. Thats only for V and straight block.

Whoo on there a cotton picken minuet.:eek:

The difference is in the word "harmonic balancer" it is used to move the crankshaft's critical harmonic frequency, to a rev range that does not get used for too long a period.
The longer the crank, the worse it is.

It prevents the crank from developing a fatigue crack. :)

Harvey.

alia176 07-26-2009 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 611157)

The difference is in the word "harmonic balancer" it is used to move the crankshaft's critical harmonic frequency, to a rev range that does not get used for too long a period.

Harvey.

Makes sense, hence the specific weight of the unit tuned to a specific freq.

Thanks.

ensteele 07-26-2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightningsvx (Post 611096)

Will this one fit the SVX? Same size etc? :confused: :)

SoCal LS-L 07-26-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 611157)

Harvey.

Ok im thinking balance shaft or counterweights on the crank...... with a crank about 3 cylinders long hopefully the H6 doesn't suffer from this too much anyways.

Trevor 07-26-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

There is a disclaimer on Perrin's website that states the pulley may adversely affect engine life. I think that's more in response to a lot of arm waving by "informed" internet people than actual fact though.
So all the hundreds of engineers, since engines have been produced, are stupid and manufacturers are intent on adding to the cost of their product and don't give a damn about the bottom line.:confused::rolleyes:

Perrin are not joking, they are clearly protecting their back sides. They are not stupid and know they are on shaky ground, when working the pseudo thinkers market.:p

It is not difficult to understand what is missing when a solid pulley is fitted, i.e. a torsional shock absorber. As a side issue, the items flexible belt driven by the pulley and in particular the alternator, also represent excellent damping. All of this at the opposite end of the crank to the driving end, for very good reason. The combined absorbent elements in torsion absorb and flatten off the peaks in what is otherwise intermittent rotational speed.

In time the pulley fails, because it has had the guts shaken out of it, while performing a valuable function. Why not replace shot shocks with lumps of aluminium, and save unsprung weight?;):D

The layman's theory that a flat or V engine has perfect balance is bull$hit. Better yes, but far from perfect, and the particular forces involved do not enter the high frequency range, applicable in this instance.

Prom a performance aspect, The reciprocating weight of the pulley and its small diameter make it nothing, in comparison to the rest of the reciprocating weight of the shaft. Many can no doubt feel the difference, a necessary sensation, having felt the thinning of their wallet.;)

alia176 07-26-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 611184)
The layman's theory that a flat or V engine has perfect balance is bull$hit. Better yes, but far from perfect, and the particular forces involved do not enter the high frequency range, applicable in this instance.

A very accurate statement.

LetItSnow 07-26-2009 12:47 PM

Certainly don't take this the wrong way, but it does also stand to question just how many miles the particular car is anticipating seeing in its lifetime. ;)