The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bosch Platinum 4+ Spark Plugs (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44720)

Wikedjuggalo 05-10-2008 04:38 PM

Bosch Platinum 4+ Spark Plugs

I bought these recently and haven't put them in my SVX yet but was wondering if anyone has had experiance with these and should I keep them or fork out $2 for the NGK? Please don't post "they are crap because I think they are" I'd like a little info not just straight opinion Thank you~

*EDIT*

I said screw it and went back and got the NGK after looking around some more. they are the NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs, $8 a peice lets see how they par up against the Autolite or what ever that is in there now.

Wikedjuggalo 05-10-2008 05:52 PM

I read not to attempt to regap these? That being so should i be worried about the Gap with the svx?

jeffast 05-10-2008 06:00 PM

i dont think the plugs are gapp able and aslong as noone dropped the box the gap is preset

oab_au 05-10-2008 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo (Post 546857)
I read not to attempt to regap these? That being so should i be worried about the Gap with the svx?

Rubbing a feeler gauge through the plugs gap can damage the Platinum coating on the face of the gap.
Harvey.

Hondasucks 05-11-2008 11:29 AM

The Bosch Platinum +2 and +4 plugs aren't "crap", I just don't think they are worth $12 each or whatever the heck they cost. Yes, I know iridium plugs are not cheap, but they last 90,000 miles, and in my opinion (especially if you are paying the dealer 3 hours to replace your spark plugs) it's worth the extra $ per plug, to not have to worry about it for 90,000 miles.

odepaj 05-11-2008 01:25 PM

Remember that our cars are very picky about plug brand and material also.

My ebony had problems and wouldn't start for awhile......all because I put Autolites in it.

It's back to NGK Iridiums and is running perfect.

Dustin

poweredx2 05-11-2008 01:37 PM

I have ran bosch +4s running n/a for years and even with a 50 shot zex,but that was me also the svx calls for plat. but for my best,my best plug for nitrous was the regular cheap autolite nonresistor plugs,the reason for my choices was because I had an exhaust temp gauge installed in each manifold.

TomsSVX 05-11-2008 02:44 PM

Platinum +4 have caused cold troubles in my SVXi. Cold idle and cold driving were hot/cold on power. The car just didn't want to run right. Since then I have only bought NGK BKR6EIX for any and all N/A SVXi. Anything running boost or N20 gets a BKR7EIX. Sorry, I know the SVX calls for a plat. plug but the iridiums run better, for longer.

Tom

Wikedjuggalo 05-11-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 546975)
Platinum +4 have caused cold troubles in my SVXi. Cold idle and cold driving were hot/cold on power. The car just didn't want to run right. Since then I have only bought NGK BKR6EIX for any and all N/A SVXi. Anything running boost or N20 gets a BKR7EIX. Sorry, I know the SVX calls for a plat. plug but the iridiums run better, for longer.

Tom

I went back and got the BKR6EIX. cost 2 dollars more. I will be changing them soon. thanks for input!

Speedklix 05-11-2008 08:14 PM

I currently have the +4s in... when I do change them, it will be the NGKs filling the hole.

Wikedjuggalo 05-16-2008 05:15 PM

Alright ! Spark Plugs changed, took me 2 1/2 hours but I feel better I'll post a picture of the Autolite that were in there :o. NGK Iridiums are in and I can say I don't feel hesitation like I did before.

svxistentialist 05-16-2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo (Post 547829)
Alright ! Spark Plugs changed, took me 2 1/2 hours but I feel better I'll post a picture of the Autolite that were in there :o. NGK Iridiums are in and I can say I don't feel hesitation like I did before.

??

2 1/2 hours??

I replaced mine this week. I used the standard recommended Platinum NGKs. It took me an hour though, but it was bloody difficult. Two and a half hours seems a long time, but I suppose it could take that long if you don't have the right tools.

The plug sockets I use make the job very easy. I use two plug sockets plus extensions bought in Halfords. The reason for using two is the rubber insert. You need the rubber insert in place to extract the plug from the head. When replacing the new plug, you need the same size socket but no rubber insert, because when the new plug is tightened into place, you need the socket to retract when pulled. If the rubber gripper is in place it grips the plug tightly and you will just pull out the extension bar, which leaves you with the socket still on the plug deep in the head and a bit of a problem.

With the correct equipment it takes an hour. If it is of interest I will take photos of the equipment and post it up.

Joe :)

Wikedjuggalo 05-16-2008 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 547852)
??

2 1/2 hours??

I replaced mine this week. I used the standard recommended Platinum NGKs. It took me an hour though, but it was bloody difficult. Two and a half hours seems a long time, but I suppose it could take that long if you don't have the right tools.

The plug sockets I use make the job very easy. I use two plug sockets plus extensions bought in Halfords. The reason for using two is the rubber insert. You need the rubber insert in place to extract the plug from the head. When replacing the new plug, you need the same size socket but no rubber insert, because when the new plug is tightened into place, you need the socket to retract when pulled. If the rubber gripper is in place it grips the plug tightly and you will just pull out the extension bar, which leaves you with the socket still on the plug deep in the head and a bit of a problem.

With the correct equipment it takes an hour. If it is of interest I will take photos of the equipment and post it up.

Joe :)

lol It took me that long because I wasnt rushed. I was taking my time and what took the longest was the last driver side one. I kept dropping the bolt and also I dropped a socket into the engine somewhere and took me awhile to get it out :). Also took me a while because I had to take out the first one 4 times the damn rubber boot in the Spark Plug socket made it to where once the spark plug was tightened it wouldn't allow me to pull the socket off the spark plug. I feel confident I could pull it off in an hour if I had to do it again.

svxistentialist 05-17-2008 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo (Post 547853)
lAlso took me a while because I had to take out the first one 4 times the damn rubber boot in the Spark Plug socket made it to where once the spark plug was tightened it wouldn't allow me to pull the socket off the spark plug. I feel confident I could pull it off in an hour if I had to do it again.

Yep! That's one of the problems.

Two Sockets To Rule Them All.

The plug sockets are relatively cheap. You buy two and use a needle-nosed pliers to extract the rubber sleeve from the Plug Install socket. That saves a lot of time.

Joe:)