The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Clunking from rear while accelerating... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38635)

OrIoN 04-24-2007 08:35 PM

Clunking from rear while accelerating...

I'm guessing it's the rear diff. However, I haven't learned how the AWD functions yet. My background is with Quattro, this is my first Subaru...

So, if it's the rear diff., I need to be pointed in the direction of a cost effective replacement possibly re-man used or good used part...

Hocrest 04-24-2007 08:51 PM

It could be a bad bushing on the rear diff, or transmission. It could also be a bad driveshaft or center carrier.

Can we get a better description of the noise and when it happens??

If it is the diff, I have one for sale, send me a PM.

Nomake Wan 04-24-2007 08:51 PM

Try putting the fuse into the FWD slot in the fuse box under the hood and see if that solves the "clunking from the rear" problem. If it does, then you're right and it's the rear diff. Cost-effective test.:)

OrIoN 04-24-2007 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
Try putting the fuse into the FWD slot in the fuse box under the hood and see if that solves the "clunking from the rear" problem. If it does, then you're right and it's the rear diff. Cost-effective test.:)

Interesting... can I just pull a fuse for AWD and move it to a FWD location?

Hocrest 04-24-2007 09:07 PM

There's no AWD fuse but there are spare fuses in the underhood fuse box. The lid of the box is also labeled to let you know where to put the fuse for Front Wheel Drive.

But... Your rear diff and the rest of the driveline are still connected to the wheels, they will still spin when you are in FWD mode. Just keep this in mind when you do your diagnostics.

JaySVX 04-25-2007 05:51 AM

You can insert a fuse into the FWD slot under the hood for "limp" mode, to make it home, and such. Did you check your tranny mount? Mine is gone, which causes the thump in mine sometimes when shifting from drive to reverse, or park.

OrIoN 04-25-2007 07:15 AM

the noise is a repeated clunk from the rear while on the gas from a stop or roll. It subsides once I taper off the gas...

Hocrest 04-25-2007 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrIoN
the noise is a repeated clunk from the rear while on the gas from a stop or roll. It subsides once I taper off the gas...

Once per wheel rotation or ~3 times per rotation??

OrIoN 04-25-2007 08:07 AM

I think 3... but I will drive it again after work today and try to listen for that answer...

TomsSVX 04-25-2007 08:13 AM

sounds like binding to me...

Tom

OrIoN 04-25-2007 08:56 AM

so dinding can happen while driving straight, not just turning?

TomsSVX 04-25-2007 09:30 AM

absolutley... You load up the drivetrain with torque around a turn... If you are driving straight it has no release expect the tires and your transfer clutches... In this case it sounds like your transfer clutches... much like my teal does on occasion. BUT I am not sure because I have not heard it myself... Have you see the power ligth blinking at all on start up?

Tom

OrIoN 04-25-2007 09:39 AM

I have not seen the power light... but I'm not sure all dash lights work nor really paid attention to start up lights... I only started it once really

OrIoN 04-30-2007 07:18 AM

Drove a little bit this weekend. It does cluck 3 times per rotation, and will go away with the FWD fuse in... rear diff?

JaySVX 04-30-2007 08:43 AM

Sounds like binding. It's engaging all the tires at the same time and same speed, so turns or even strait, it'll do that, because the rotational speeds will never be exactly perfect for all tires.