The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   engine shut down, why? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42163)

dannmarr 12-04-2007 07:02 AM

engine shut down, why?

Once in awhile my car shuts off will driving. But starts right up again.
a) No x-mas lights on the dash
b) Alternator is charging
c) battery is good
d) engine is warmed up
I usually change my own oil, but due to the weather I had someone else do it. I also had a remote start/alarm installed. The remote has trouble at times to start the car, but when I manually try it, it starts with no problem.
Could any one of these cause the problem?

Hocrest 12-04-2007 07:13 AM

First thing I would check is the remote starter. Remove the under dash cover and with the car running shake/move all the wiring harnesses around. If you can find the starter wiring, pay close attention to that and check each connection.

You may also want to check for stored codes...

SVXRide 12-04-2007 09:33 AM

did it do this before the remote starter was installed? if it didn't, then I'm with Dave on this. If it did, then you might want to check the air controller mounted to the underside of the TB. If it sticks then it can choke out the engine when you close the butterflies in the TB (let your foot off the gas).
-Bill

dannmarr 12-05-2007 07:43 AM

It started only after the remote installation. Thanks.

Sir. Nate 12-05-2007 10:37 AM

take it back to the shop, tell them to fix it or your going to take legal action.

superru 12-05-2007 12:12 PM

ya! bastard shops!

Suby Fan 12-06-2007 12:18 PM

The installation of a remote start unit won't usually cause stalls the wires for the remote start just spliced in to the ignition wires. the only thing that gets cut is the plastic around the wire. And if you do go back to this shop your just going to look like the kind of customer that blames the last person that changed there oil for their check engine light coming on 1000 miles later. No codes sudden stall first thing you should do is check to see if the air filter is properly installed and then look for a vacuum leak also check for stored codes. It could also be a map sensor or many other things. But start with the easy things first.

SVXRide 12-06-2007 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suby Fan (Post 513422)
The installation of a remote start unit won't usually cause stalls the wires for the remote start just spliced in to the ignition wires. the only thing that gets cut is the plastic around the wire. And if you do go back to this shop your just going to look like the kind of customer that blames the last person that changed there oil for their check engine light coming on 1000 miles later. No codes sudden stall first thing you should do is check to see if the air filter is properly installed and then look for a vacuum leak also check for stored codes. It could also be a map sensor or many other things. But start with the easy things first.

John,
I agree with you and there is the chance the the shop that did the remote start install didn't insulate their splices such that there might be an intermittent short. I had an MSD-5 box years ago on my Camaro that turned out (once MSD opened it up and checked it out) to have a resistor(?) that was shorting to ground due to vibration, which would cause to the car to do a "soft stall". Once you realized that you were just coasting, you could just push in the clutch and start the car right back up.
-Bill
p.s. even if the splices are insulated correctly, there's still the possibility that the remote start box has an internal intermittent short

YourConfused 12-06-2007 06:04 PM

I bet it is the map:rolleyes: sensor!:lol:
Sorry, in one of those moods.

dannmarr 12-06-2007 06:23 PM

You are correct, I got code no. 23, air flow sensor. It was probably a coincidence that it happened right after the remote start installation. So, what do I do now? :confused:

SVXRide 12-06-2007 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr (Post 513495)
You are correct, I got code no. 23, air flow sensor. It was probably a coincidence that it happened right after the remote start installation. So, what do I do now? :confused:

replace it:rolleyes::lol: do a search of the network, I believe the MAF off of certain year Legacys will work on our cars...
-Bill

dannmarr 12-06-2007 09:28 PM

I'm searching but I can't find a compatible replacement for the MAF sensor. Anyone know? Thanks.

bwb3 12-07-2007 09:01 AM

I haven't tried it but a MAF from a Legacy 2.2 is supposed to work.
Gene

Suby Fan 12-07-2007 10:46 AM

read the how tos on how to clean it first

dannmarr 12-08-2007 07:34 AM

I cleaned the MAF sensor and so far so good. I'm getting another one just in case. Thanks for all your help!:)