The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   No start, just lights (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64464)

simboglide 11-07-2017 08:34 PM

No start, just lights

Past few weeks, I've had to " jiggle" the key a bit to get the ignition to turn. Now , with the key out, the steering wheel won't lock .Tried the key in park and neutral, lights light up, no cranking no clicking.Ideas?

SoCoNoHa 11-08-2017 02:39 PM

These exact symptoms happened to my SVX a few months ago. Got to the point where if I sat there and I was LUCKY it would crank one in about 50 turns. I replaced the starter(?) relay under the dash and that helped for all of a week.

Try this mod:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62672

Post #2 has all the info you should need.

simboglide 11-12-2017 10:37 AM

Re: No start, just lights

Really don't want to " mod" anything,,,I'm assuming the factory relay has lasted over 200,000 and i'm O.K. with that, problem is,,, everyone is showing a Bosch 5 prong relay( which i have a drawer full of, along with a matching receptacle) But from what I can see,, everything is pointing to this...25229AA050 , as being the starter relay. Easily seen under the dash....so I'm confused as to what I'm actually looking for/ at.

simboglide 11-13-2017 08:09 PM

Went ahead and tried the relay mod,, didn't work, although the car did start 5 times in a row after replacing all the stock wiring,,shifted it and out of gear while running... back to park and then killed engine...now, same symptoms as before... all lights,,,no start and still my steering wheel still wont lock with the key removed.

Tireiron 11-14-2017 09:02 AM

Try starting it with the shifter in neutral. If it starts every time in neutral, chances are the shift selector switch on the side of the transmission is worn out and not making good contact in park.

simboglide 11-14-2017 03:02 PM

No starting in neutral or park AND even with the key out, you can still turn steering wheel.

simboglide 11-17-2017 05:37 AM

Doing the relay mod, the relay just clicks away.

oab_au 11-24-2017 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simboglide (Post 747631)
Past few weeks, I've had to " jiggle" the key a bit to get the ignition to turn. Now , with the key out, the steering wheel won't lock .Tried the key in park and neutral, lights light up, no cranking no clicking.Ideas?

All the things that you say in your first post, points to the key switch falling to pieces.
The back of the switch with all the contacts, is held to the tumbler by three tangs that are bent over the back, they end up letting the contact block move away from the switch wiper,,, no contact.

Pull the covers off and have a look, if you need another one, you can change the key tumblers over. :)

simboglide 11-25-2017 07:40 AM

Guess it'll be a good time to clean up the console area since it's laying in the garage floor.Seat may as well come out to make the column covers easier to get to and clean that area too.Thanks for the reply! was about to start in on neutral safety switch.

simboglide 11-26-2017 10:12 AM

O.k. got the switch exposed,, tested the wiring at the switch and all seems to be working fine.The Black and yellow wire " fires" when key is pressed into " start" position. Where does the B&Y wire go? I can't find a diagram.

oab_au 11-26-2017 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simboglide (Post 747691)
O.k. got the switch exposed,, tested the wiring at the switch and all seems to be working fine.The Black and yellow wire " fires" when key is pressed into " start" position. Where does the B&Y wire go? I can't find a diagram.

From the ign. switch, down to the gearbox, P,N, inhibitor switch, then to the starter solenoid.

simboglide 11-27-2017 05:59 AM

Seems I am getting fire to the starter, I'll test tonight for voltage ( I assume it needs 12v) .

oab_au 11-27-2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simboglide (Post 747698)
Seems I am getting fire to the starter, I'll test tonight for voltage ( I assume it needs 12v) .

Yes 12V and about 25 amps.

simboglide 11-27-2017 08:57 PM

12.2 V To the spade connector that slides on the blade on the solenoid. Didn't check amps though. I assumed bad starter.. 2 different Autozones say differently as the Bendix engaged at both stores.... grrrrr

simboglide 11-28-2017 07:28 PM

Still never found the elusive under dash relay.