The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Got An Svx!!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19866)

RSVXLsi 07-11-2004 09:08 AM

Got An Svx!!!!!!!!!!!

i just bought my first real car. the car that wasn't real was a 1980 caprise classic sedan. yikes. that was a major pain. i can't believe the difference with the SVX i mean i've test drove the outback sedans and legacy GT and i don't think the SVX compairs to any of the other subaru's. i love driving this car with all the looks. there are some problems though............. i have rusted doors........ also i got the tare where the cd and cass holder is when i lift up part of the consol comes up too.. i'm bringing it in to be checked and get a price on how much. anyone know of a place that can do it really nice here in MA. i heard that this is the place to go for SVX questions and answers.

UniqueAngle 07-11-2004 12:56 PM

What part of Massachusetts are you in? I can recommend a dealer or two in southern NH, along with a good body shop. I'd also be willing to ask a few of the Subaru owners I know in Mass who they'd recommend, but if you're in western MA, no point in sending you to someone in the Boston area.

Also, if your doors are rusted, how's the rest of the car? Up in this part of the country, with all the salt on the roads in the winter, frames & undercarriage parts tend to rust thru before body panels. Hope you had the car checked out before you bought it.
~Brenda

ensteele 07-11-2004 01:41 PM

RSVXLsi

Welcome to the site and congrats on the car. I am sure you will love it as much as the rest of us do. :)

RSVXLsi 07-11-2004 02:33 PM

the only rust on it is on both doors right where the side panels are and my mirrors are faded and the 2 strips right near the back window i heard those tend to go with this type of car. but yeah i live in western mass i already went to subaru and they said 1400 for everything to be done. is that outrageous for this type of car there doing the paint the dents and rust.

RSVXLsi 07-11-2004 02:39 PM

also my wheels are in bad shape there not rusted just chewed up i guess from roadsalt you know where i could get those done and cheep i was thinking on maybe crome and painting the the roof and trunk hatch and wing black

n00b on demand 07-11-2004 04:28 PM

Welcome to the site! Hope you enjoy your car as much as we do!

Chiketkd 07-11-2004 08:51 PM

Welcome to the site! Good luck with those repairs...

-Chike

jscorse 07-12-2004 06:36 AM

Welcome

Welcome welcome. Another MASS SVX driver. We should have some pretty good meets to put together with all these locals popping up. I'm in Leominster...which some Bostonits would consider western MA, but we all no better don't we. I'm in CENTRAL mass.

There IS a meet at Hampton Beach coming together at the end of this month. Check out the Upcoming meets section.

I can recommend a great dealer in Webster (Tri-State) but that may be a hike for you. It's a 45 minute drive for me..but worth it to have someone who knows the car work on it.

Do a search on the chrome wheels here. I know there are several members that have had that done. I have one huge chip out on one wheel, and someday I'll have to have them all re-coated. I'm not real fond of the chrome look, but them I love the car just the way it rolled off of the showroom floor.

You'll find all opinions here so feel free to express them.

I know how you feel about getting the SVX. My previous 'car' was a Buick Century wagon. I also remember the feeling of testing all of the 'other' Subarus then driving the SVX and KNOWING that this was my future.... and my present.

Enjoy the car..it's an engineering wonder and so many ways.

GreenMarine 07-12-2004 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chiketkd
Welcome to the site! Good luck with those repairs...

-Chike

I'll second that :):) We've all been there... Repairs and maintence are apart owning and keeping the SVX in top notch shape :)

UniqueAngle 07-12-2004 12:59 PM

Hi there -
$1200 for repairing & painting 2 panels doesn't sound too bad, if they're doing it right. Know what you're paying for though.

*Are they removing the doors to paint them?
*Are they removing trim (interior door panels, window seals, door handle, etc), or are they just masking?
*If they're just masking things, be very clear that there are to be no hard paint lines/overspray.
*Color match may not be perfect, but it should be very close.
*Will they be blending color onto adjoining panels?
*What's the warranty? What does it cover and for how long?
*How much of the cost is materials vs. labor time?
*How long will they have the car?
*What type of facilities do they have? (IE: a good paint shop will be using what's called a 'down-draft paint booth', and have the capability of baking the paint on).

Just a few of the things to start with.
~Brenda

RSVXLsi 07-12-2004 03:53 PM

i found a place!!!!! 1812 body shop in Northampton. i brought the car over there after work and showed them what i wanted done and gave me a good price 700 bucks i just need to find the paint code of the car now. i was thinking on making the car a red an black i know i saw it somewhere on this site i think it looks real nice. does anyone know about the grills i guess the newer one? and also anything bout hoodscoops i think the car with the hoodscoop and the two tone would be sweet. although i didn't get the price on the two tone but i'm sure it wouldn't be all that much more maybe anouther 500-700 bucks.

RSVX 07-12-2004 09:04 PM

Wow... someone tried to take my name!!!

Welcome!

Chiketkd 07-12-2004 10:34 PM

:D :D :D

-Chike

P.S. I doubt that'll ever happen to me... ;)
Quote:

Originally posted by RSVX
Wow... someone tried to take my name!!!