The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anticipation (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10612)

svxeno 05-08-2003 04:09 PM

Anticipation

Wierd noise turns into opportunity:

I had to take the SVX in to get a "bad" noise and a "bad" smell checked out. Turns out my front diff was dry (without lubrication) and a bad bearing for the torque converter. So, it's being rebuilt, again, for free however. So I decided to take the shift kit plunge. I was talked out of it the first rebuild but insisted on it this time. I requested a "Trans Go" kit.

I am now anticipating a nice firm, positive shift. You may recall I once put up a "poll" asking people how they felt their car shifted because I was so dissapointed in mine. Now I think I'll be much happier. It's really the only thing I didn't care for on this car. $175 incl tax. WOOHOO!

Gonna be happy. Sometimes bad things create new opportunities.

Randy (Mr. Firm Shifting) ii

lee 05-08-2003 04:34 PM

I'd definitely like to hear your opinion after you get it back. The SVX has the softest shifting automatic I've ever driven.

BTW, looked at your site - is the Fiat a repaint? I can't believe it still looks that red as mine (a 91 124 spyder) sure didn't keep the color that well.

svxeno 05-08-2003 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lee
I'd definitely like to hear your opinion after you get it back. The SVX has the softest shifting automatic I've ever driven.

BTW, looked at your site - is the Fiat a repaint? I can't believe it still looks that red as mine (a 91 124 spyder) sure didn't keep the color that well.

lee,

I'll definatley post what I think about the kit. Do you prefer the soft shift or something more firm? I really don't like the "soft" shift of the SVX. It's my first automatic tranny in 18 years.

Yup, the fiat is repainted. I think about 4 times. Very poorly done as well but I think it's what kept the rust down. I didn't realize there was a '91 124.

Randy (Kit's and paint, I got it all :) )ii

lee 05-08-2003 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by svxeno

lee,

I'll definatley post what I think about the kit. Do you prefer the soft shift or something more firm? I really don't like the "soft" shift of the SVX. It's my first automatic tranny in 18 years.

Yup, the fiat is repainted. I think about 4 times. Very poorly done as well but I think it's what kept the rust down. I didn't realize there was a '91 124.

Randy (Kit's and paint, I got it all :) )ii

I prefer firm shifts. In that vein I've replaced the stock dropping resistor with a 500 Ohm load which is the highest value that prevents the dreaded blinking power light while mostly preserving the feel of the "no resistor" option. Firming up at other shifts points would be good too IMHO.

Yes, actually two models were sold in 1991, the spyder, and the sport coupe. I actually owned both at the same time for awhile - the coupe was white over black, even had A/C - I drove it round-trip from Pensacola FLA to Santa Cruz CA twice summer of 1976. They had 5-speeds with twin-cam 1600cc engines then. I think the first 124 appeared in the late 80s. I really liked the looks, thought the 124s were way better than the MGs and TRs of the time - still do - Italian design, gotta love 'em :)

Ron Mummert 05-08-2003 07:26 PM

Yes, actually two models were sold in 1991, the spyder, and the sport coupe. I actually owned both at the same time for awhile - the coupe was white over black, even had A/C - I drove it round-trip from Pensacola FLA to Santa Cruz CA twice summer of 1976. They had 5-speeds with twin-cam 1600cc engines then. I think the first 124 appeared in the late 80s. I really liked the looks, thought the 124s were way better than the MGs and TRs of the time - still do - Italian design, gotta love 'em :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Lee, we've been over this ground before, & I know the late '60s Spyder (marketed as a Pininfarina, sp?) was continued perhaps into the mid '80s or beyond, but the Coupe? I thought it was discontinued, at least on these shores, by '73ish. Are you referring to a different 124? You drove your '91 Spyder coast-to-coast twice in '76? Ooooh, can I smoke some o'what you're tokin'? Mmmmm. Thanks, Lee.

svxeno 05-08-2003 07:53 PM

"Let's do the time warp again" :D

Meanwhile....back at the ranch....

The mechanic (notice I didn't say MY mechanic) is bring the car back tommorow. I can't wait to feel the difference!

Randy (loves firm things) ii :p

lee 05-08-2003 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Mummert
...snip.... Ooooh, can I smoke some o'what you're tokin'? Mmmmm. Thanks, Lee.
Ron, I wish I could get some of what it seems like I was smoking.;)

....meant 1971 for both models.

Subafreak 05-08-2003 09:03 PM

Huh, mine shifts very firmly.

sfsvx 05-09-2003 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lee
I think the first 124 appeared in the late 80s.
Gee, and I thought I bought one in 1976, and that they'd been on the market for several years prior to that.

Guess I overdid something in the 60's. :( :rolleyes: :)

lee 05-09-2003 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sfsvx

Gee, and I thought I bought one in 1976, and that they'd been on the market for several years prior to that.

Guess I overdid something in the 60's. :( :rolleyes: :)

No, I think you're OK, it may have been me that over did it;)

svxeno 05-09-2003 05:45 PM

UPDATE

Well now I won't see my car until Tuesday. They are getting some more parts. Seems a Torrington bearing "floated" whatever the h#ll that means and left residual metal thoughout the tranny. Better to get it right than fast. I'll have to test the shifting then.

Randy ii

CigarJohnny 05-10-2003 09:53 AM

Re: UPDATE

Quote:

Originally posted by svxeno
Well now I won't see my car until Tuesday. They are getting some more parts. Seems a Torrington bearing "floated" whatever the h#ll that means and left residual metal thoughout the tranny. Better to get it right than fast. I'll have to test the shifting then.

Randy ii

Just hope they don't find a bad "johnson valve". :p

ensteele 05-10-2003 10:04 AM

Re: Re: UPDATE

Quote:

Originally posted by CigarJohnny
Yes, that you be the end of your firm shifting until you got that fixed! :rolleyes:

svxeno 05-10-2003 04:09 PM

Re: Re: UPDATE

Quote:

Originally posted by CigarJohnny
I won't have to worry about that since the new Piston Return Springs will be installed by then. :rolleyes:

B-T-W there really is such a thing as "Torrington Bearings".

It's one of the things in there. Hell if I know which one. Beav? A little help here?

Randy (Not nowin 2 much about auto tranny stuff) ii :o

ps: My Fiat has a device called a "Gulp Valve". No...really...GULP.

Maybe it activates everytime it pulls into a mechanics shop...no, wait that's just my wallet doing that!