The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thinking About Buying a 92 SVX but... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53279)

elemgee 02-25-2010 05:37 PM

Thinking About Buying a 92 SVX but...

I've owned a couple of SVXs in the past and kind of miss having one, so I've been thinking about maybe buying another one. I've seen a couple of fairly low mileage 92s for sale but I've been reluctant to buy one because of the known transmission problems. It seems like every 92 has required a tranny rebuild (mine did). So my question for those of you with a 92 or 93 SVX that still has the original transmission, is, what have you done to enable you to not have to replace it? Oil cooler? (I put one in my 96 and never had a problem); in-line filter?, frequent flushes?, synthetic fluid?, other? Let me know.

Thanks.

Larry

michael 02-25-2010 06:49 PM

Re: Thinking About Buying a 92 SVX but...

Hi Larry,

My advise to you would be to buy a trans first, be it a low mileage 4eat or a 5/6 speed to swap in first. Find an SVX to plop it into and your trans worries will be gone.

Bonestock 02-25-2010 06:52 PM

Why not budget a car + the inevitable trans rebuild/swap/replacement?

Mine is a 92 with 79k miles on it. The trans started hanging on the 2-3rd shift at very low speeds. Once I changed the external filter and fluid its been fine ever since *knocks on wood*. if it does go, I'll source a 5MT or 4.44 Leggy trans. Not really bothered either way.

Freeman 02-25-2010 10:26 PM

Concidering what mines been through, I'm surrprised I haven't had to have a rebuild yet. I'm eventually going for a 4.44 though. No shame in that.

dcarrb 02-26-2010 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elemgee (Post 636285)
Oil cooler? (I put one in my 96 and never had a problem); in-line filter?, frequent flushes?, synthetic fluid?, other?

The (second) transmission in my silver has over 100,000 miles, 20,000+ with me in the driver's seat. No external filter nor auxiliary cooler present.

I've put 50,000+ miles on the teal, the transmission in which may be original. I added a mid-sized aux cooler in series with the radiator cooler when I bought it, and it came with a factory canister ("campaign") filter which I've changed once.

Interestingly, on cold mornings the aux-cooler-less silver always takes much longer to attain 4th gear than the teal.

No transmission troubles in either car to date. I use ordinary EconoSludge transmission fluid (no real brand preference) and change it often; drain-and-fill, not flush. Both are daily drivers and I don't pamper or abuse them. Guess I've been lucky.

dcb