The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   SVX Parts Wanted (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Availability Of OEM Struts? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34172)

WGJ 07-12-2006 10:17 PM

Availability Of OEM Struts?

I HAVE JUST BEEN INFORMED BY MY FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD...Subaru dealer that struts for my '92 SVX are no longer available. Where might I find some?
WGJ

svxcess 07-13-2006 08:51 AM

Your "friendly neighborhood subaru dealer" should do a little more research. ;)

Struts for the SVX should be identical throughout all years. There was a modified strut mount for the 1992 SVX to address a knocking noise, but the strut itself was no affected.

Any of the later year struts ARE still available and many times in stock. Here are the P/Ns for 1996/1997 SVX struts:

Left front strut...20311PA011
Right front strut..20311PA001

Left rear strut....20360PA011
Right rear strut...20360PA001

At subaruparts.com, the front struts go for $121.88 each (retail $159.95) and the rear struts go for $129.50 each (retail $169.95) The currently have these item in stock.

WGJ 07-13-2006 12:56 PM

Please Excuse My Sarcasm...

when I said "friendly neighborhood Subaru dealer". The parts people are idiots who have sent me the wrong parts three times in a row! Struts were offered to me at dealer cost to make up for their previous screw ups. So I was not suprised that they couldn't find struts. But I was concerned they might be right this time. Thanks for the resource. The local parts guy even quoted a retail price of like $250 ea. to me before telling me he couldn't get them(!) as though that would make me feel better. (He didn't know I was supposed to be getting them at cost).

THANKS FOR YOUR PROMPT RESPONSE, MUCH APPRECIATED,
WGJ

Earthworm 07-13-2006 01:02 PM

If you were to look up struts on subaruparts.com for a 92 you would see 2 different part numbers. One is twice the price and is probably the one they are trying to get. This is not the right one and I believe the less expensive one supersedes the expensive one.

svxcess 07-13-2006 01:37 PM

Sometimes parts are listed twice at different prices, and include extra miscellaneous parts required for complete installation.

For example, you can order SVX headlights two ways:

84001PA020 Head Lamp Assembly $365.67. This includes bulbs, brackets, screws, etc.

84912PA090 Lens And Body only $357.77. Nothing else. Not worth doing since for another $8.00 you get all 3 bulbs and more.

2NI 03-23-2007 09:02 PM

Quote:

There was a modified strut mount for the 1992 SVX to address a knocking noise, but the strut itself was no affected.
svxcess, can you tell me a bit more about that? Since I baught the car, it seems that I have that knocking noise... That's what made me think about destroyed suspensions but they have been tested and it seems not at all... :confused:

This is what I've found for "strut mount" on Google:

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/subsus/sti_um.jpg

Correct? Sorry but I'm French & dumb! :D

Can I ask my dealer to replace those? Do you have a part number or something? Maybe a picture showing a visible difference between the old & the modified unit?

Anyway, when I pass a whole or a bump, it makes "bling blong" something like if the spring is knocking against something, metal on metal... Like when you put cheap drop-springs on the car you know... It rattles because the whorls (correct word?) are touching each other... Do I make myself understandable? I hope... :p

Thanx! ;)

TomsSVX 03-23-2007 10:50 PM

check out the sway bar bushings before you spring for struts or mounts

Tom

2NI 03-25-2007 02:41 PM

Everything around has been checked and/or already been replaced by the previous owner. Not many things left i guess... Strut mounts or complete suspension dead... But like the suspension seems to work correctly, I assume those are the guilty parts... It's really horrible to drive, makes kling klong all the time... :(

benebob 03-25-2007 03:44 PM

Make sure you have at least the rears put on by a subaru dealer as the last 2 sets I got leaked within about a year. Subaru only pays parts not labor for r&r so you'd be out that amount or that much of your time. I think I paid $99 for the fronts and $119 for the rears a year or so ago from Liberty Subaru in NJ.

I'm no longer running the new rear struts as the 2nd set started leaking 1 month after the warranty was up. Sad thing is I drove it about 1000 miles that year.

TomsSVX 03-25-2007 06:49 PM

Ben. Tim just had the same thing happen. He replaced all his strut w/ OEMs and mychailo springs and his driver's rear is leaking now:rolleyes: Now he is going the Koni/GC route like I told him in the first place... Why don't people listen??

Tom

benebob 03-25-2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Ben. Tim just had the same thing happen. He replaced all his strut w/ OEMs and mychailo springs and his driver's rear is leaking now:rolleyes: Now he is going the Koni/GC route like I told him in the first place... Why don't people listen??

Tom

B/C the koni's they sell for the SVX are overpriced donkey dung.;)

TomsSVX 03-25-2007 07:12 PM

he spent i think 100 less than it would have cost to get the konis...um... Donkey doo doo:confused: :D

Tom

svxcess 03-25-2007 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2NI
svxcess, can you tell me a bit more about that? Since I bought the car, it seems that I have that knocking noise...

The modified mount is discussed in the Subaru Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) HERE

2NI 03-27-2007 02:57 PM

Thank you svxcess. I will show the part item to my friend & see if we can get our hands on those here. ;)