The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Another long week or two.... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2718)

WickedSubie 02-08-2002 03:30 PM

Another long week or two....

Well, as luck would have it, the dealership who sold me the 94 LSi on ebay, took it upon themselves to have the transmission inspected the day before I was supposed to go and pick it up.

So I took a day off to drive to Connecticut for nothing.

Why on earth they decided to do this is beyond me.

But I guess I can't complain too much as they are having the transfer case rebuilt. Anybody have an idea of how much this would cost? They said it was costing them around 2k.

Bad part is they said the parts were coming from Kentucky (boneyard? or parts warehouse?) and they couldn't get them until next thursday. So at best I might be taking the trek next week. Probably the week after.

My guess is that they tried to move the car and it grenaded on them. What do you guys think??

vkykam 02-08-2002 03:35 PM

Not to be paranoid here, but it smells a little "rat-ish".

I would be careful here about the transmission. Certain members here (who's handle shall remain ARE-DUB-JAY :)) have had their transmission replaced before they purchased it, only to find out later that it a legacy transmission. Results? Ka-Boom.

I don't know if there's a way to tell the difference between a Legacy and a SVX transmission from the outside. Anyone?

VK

Aredubjay 02-08-2002 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by vkykam

I don't know if there's a way to tell the difference between a Legacy and a SVX transmission from the outside. Anyone?

VK

No, there is none. The only way my tranny rebuilder was able to tell was to "count teeth." That was how they found the mismatched ratio. With that ratio, they surmised it was a Legacy Tranny, which was later proven by the wrecking yard that had put it in. 91 Legacy to be exact. The guy I called to get the infomation from said, "it looked like it would fit." Well, it did, but, not without them changing the flywheel (which was the second giveaway, when they went to install the REAL SVX tranny -- it wouldn't bolt up). So, I had to get a new flywheel in the deal also. Again, somebody save me from this obsession!!!!

Seraph 02-08-2002 03:57 PM

It is a good thing and a bad thing. Are you getting it from a suby dealer? If so, they do not open the tranny up. they replace the whole thing and the whole SOA reman tranny costs around 3500 in chicago including tax(8%) and install. The tranny was around 2k or so if i recall.

If the car was running why do they have to do a trans check? there is something wrong here. Call up SOA with the VIN and check out the car for any major replacement on the car. It's nice to be curious at this point.

I have a tranny rebuilt and it runs fine. I will put my life on my car. But as for other cars, I can not tell and it gives people with tranny rebuilt a bad name. :D

Anyways, good luck with the car.

Lwin

ps. if it is a suby dealer doing the job, they can do get a trans replaced within 2-3 days max.

svx_commuter 02-08-2002 07:15 PM

$2K is close to the price a remaned tranny. $2k sounds high for work on the transfer case.

svx_commuter 02-08-2002 07:18 PM

I do not understand why you have to pay for it? It didn't break when you were driving it. It was not in the condition they said it was supposed to be in. Is this any help?

WickedSubie 02-08-2002 08:29 PM

They aren't charging me for the work.

They said it was a "subaru dealer" so I guess now I need to run a check and see exactly what the hell is going on.

If they can't provide me with the "dealers" number then I'm going to tell them to forget it.

svx_commuter 02-09-2002 08:06 AM

How far from Stamford CT is this place?

WickedSubie 02-09-2002 10:13 PM

They are in West Hartford.

Subie dealer is "Shaeler Subaru" - not sure on spelling... ever heard of them?