The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   5-speed SVX in the snow (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14790)

strange179 12-02-2003 12:02 PM

5-speed SVX in the snow

Thanks to a bit of unexpected snow I finally got to drive the SVX in slippery conditions. It was great! First off let me explain that I love driving in the snow. Most people dread it but I always look forward to it. The SVX was much more responsive to throttle input than when it had the auto. This was displayed both on acceleration and deceleration. I also noticed a much greater tendency towards power-on oversteer. With the Auto if you stepped on it and cut the wheel from a stop you'd usually end up doing a kind of clumsy half oversteer, half understeer motion. Now with the 5-speed you can get almost all oversteer with enough right foot persuasion. Now this is not to say that it isn't good to dtive normally in the snow because it is. The AWD system definitely helps you keep going where you want to, usually quicker than the surrounding traffic. I'm so glad I finally got the chance to put a 5-speed in my SVX.

Jay

SVXer95 12-02-2003 12:09 PM

This just makes me want one more!

Someday...

mbtoloczko 12-02-2003 04:07 PM

Interesting info. I've been curious about how an SVX with a 5-speed would handle in the snow.

oab_au 12-02-2003 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mbtoloczko
Interesting info. I've been curious about how an SVX with a 5-speed would handle in the snow.
Yea like a Legacy on steroids.

Harvey.;)

seasvx 12-02-2003 04:40 PM

Re: 5-speed SVX in the snow

Quote:

Originally posted by strange179
I also noticed a much greater tendency towards power-on oversteer.
...sorta gives a whole new meaning to the word "snowdrift"!

GreenMarine 12-03-2003 06:06 AM

I think PhastSVX posted something last year when he was driving in the snow... I think there were pictures and a mivie clip too... can't remember but Phast said the same thing about his conversion... I'm still wanting to get the chance to drive mine in the snow... I like the others that like snow, love driving in it... The only thing that I'm worried about in the snow is everyone else... But if we get snow this year in NC then I'll test it out...

Chicane 12-03-2003 06:39 AM

What's a half oversteer half understeer? To me, that would mean completely nuetral. Anyway, I have an automatic, and I get oversteer quite easily if I'm on the gas.

- Rob

strange179 12-03-2003 08:49 AM

hard to describe really

Quote:

Originally posted by Chicane
What's a half oversteer half understeer? To me, that would mean completely nuetral. Anyway, I have an automatic, and I get oversteer quite easily if I'm on the gas.

- Rob

I know that's not a great explanation of how the auto was behaving but it's the best I could come up with. I think I'd have to say that the auto was more apt to understeer and the manual seems to oversteer more. I usually got more oversteer on the auto by abruptly lifting off the throttle and could usually correct it by getting back on it.

Jay

Mr. Pockets 12-03-2003 09:49 AM

Re: hard to describe really

Quote:

Originally posted by strange179

I know that's not a great explanation of how the auto was behaving but it's the best I could come up with. I think I'd have to say that the auto was more apt to understeer and the manual seems to oversteer more.

Jay

I would guess that this has to do with the difference in operation between the AWD systems in the auto and manual transmissions.

The auto is far quicker to react, and if the fronts slip you have power delivered to the rear wheels pretty much instantly.

The manual uses a viscous coupling, correct? The manual transmission Subarus I've driven have had a tendency to let the front wheels slip some, then suddenly transfer power to the rear.

I imagine it also has to do with the difference in torque split.

Phast SVX 12-03-2003 10:23 AM

Its more or lessthat the autobox is has ZERO throttle response and feels like no sensetivity. The TCU kind of plays with the numbers itself. The 5spd is definetly more re biased from the start, but is really fun.
I was leaving my girlfriends apartment last year and burned through the gears(not really moving anywhere of coarse). pointing straight as can be. Great fun!
BTW here is my thread from last year.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&threadid=8739

NikFu S. 12-03-2003 10:33 PM

it was fun at first, but im sick of driving in the snow. icicles hang from all around and snow hardens like a rock in my fenders. the rear collects it on the highway but thats ok cuz the weight keeps the rear down as it has an awful tendency to slip if youre not on the gas. around a corner it tends to slip when youre on the gas. its quite easy to pull of a good drift actually just keep a little throttle into the turn and hold the wheel sharp and still in first or second.
then again my tires are bald.:D

Paxton71 12-05-2003 07:38 AM

svx in snow tires?

My rig SUCKS in the snow! Won't turn, won't stop. Even at near zero speeds she just plows when I want to turn. I have to steer with the rear and the gas pedal all the time.

This thing needs snow tires on skinny steel wheels.

My 4runner with locking diffs and 35x12.50 Mud terrains does much better. I can throw a lot of snow and 14 inches under the front diff = pretty good ground clearance.

Subafreak 12-05-2003 07:37 PM

I don't drive my SVX in the snow. RE730's suck in the snow.

But the Loyal will push through 16inchs of the stuff, up hill.:D

Motorsport-SVX 12-06-2003 08:14 PM

no such luck here

or it depends on how you look at it..
its been in the 80s for the past few weeks during
the day, and only 50s at nite...
No snow in our future for a while .... but Illl take the sun :) :D