The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   My transmission is weird (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42750)

Sir. Nate 01-12-2008 01:30 PM

My transmission is weird

OKAY! My transmission shifts straight from 1st to 3rd, and I dont really notice 4th kick in, maybe it's 1st to 4th. I can't be sure. I checked codes and I pulled code 32 (vehicle speed sensor 1). would that sensor cause this? The guy I bought my svx from said the trans was only 10k on a new rebuild.

SVXRide 01-12-2008 01:59 PM

Nate,
Yeah, get that sensor replaced. The TCU is looking at engine speed and it's not getting the right signal.
-Bill

bwb3 01-12-2008 02:45 PM

Not SVX related but my Volvo TCU reads the tach and when that sensor went bad the shifting totally wacked out. OB1 code identified the problem and a $165 part later, + labor, and all is well. What I found interesting is the computer eventually went into limp home mode (soft, low rpm shifts). Sensor problems can make you feel the worst is happening.
Gene

Sir. Nate 01-12-2008 03:18 PM

Has anyone replaced it themselves? Can someone tell me where it is. Is it an external sensor in the transmission case(easy replacement), Or is it an internal sensor(pain in the a$$)?

SVXRide 01-12-2008 07:59 PM

external....I believe it's toward the front on the passenger's side of the trans.
-Bill

Sir. Nate 01-13-2008 09:11 PM

I'll have to take a look tomorrow when it's light out. Anyone know where to get one on the cheap?

TomsSVX 01-14-2008 06:47 AM

Billy boy, thats speed sensor #2;) The speed sensor #1 is actually on the outside of the tail end of the trans. On the pass side. It monitors the rear drishaft revolutions and also acts as the TCU's pick-up for the speed of the car.

Sometimes replacement of this sensor is easy, sometimes it is not. Most later model transmission have a 3 wire clip that allows you to unplug the sensor and change it out quickly. Some don't have this connector and you have to cut the wires running down the driver's side of the trans over to the sensor to wire in a new one. Let me know if you have a clip and I can get a working one in the mail as soon as I know which one you will need. If it helps fix the issues, then you can keep it and pay me what it was worth to you... If not, you could mail it back

Tom

Sir. Nate 01-14-2008 02:09 PM

okay, I got under there and i think i found the sensor
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...7/HPIM0410.jpg
I also found a loose 3 wire plug
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...7/HPIM0411.jpg
I tried looking for the plug on the sensor and couldn't find it, i pulled on the wire and it has no slack. maybe the plug is stuck on the top side? my car is a 92.

SVXRide 01-14-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 521123)
Billy boy, thats speed sensor #2;) The speed sensor #1 is actually on the outside of the tail end of the trans. On the pass side. It monitors the rear drishaft revolutions and also acts as the TCU's pick-up for the speed of the car.

Sometimes replacement of this sensor is easy, sometimes it is not. Most later model transmission have a 3 wire clip that allows you to unplug the sensor and change it out quickly. Some don't have this connector and you have to cut the wires running down the driver's side of the trans over to the sensor to wire in a new one. Let me know if you have a clip and I can get a working one in the mail as soon as I know which one you will need. If it helps fix the issues, then you can keep it and pay me what it was worth to you... If not, you could mail it back

Tom

Tommyboy!
Thanks for correcting my somewhat hazy memory:rolleyes::lol:
(shouldn't you be off on your cruise already?;))
-Bill

Sir. Nate 01-14-2008 03:41 PM

okay, that plug was the plug for the sensor. I plugged it in(total pain) then turned on the car and no problems! I took it for a drive and still no shift, i checked codes again and i pulled the same one for speed sensor 1. I guess it's bad.

TomsSVX 01-14-2008 08:32 PM

glad to hear it. That sensor and plug I have never seen before. Usually the plugs are more round and the sensor is too... As long as all is well then its a winner!!! especially when its free:D

Oh Billy boy... No worries I will always save ur ass:lol: Speaking of... are you still planning to head up here this month or are we looking at Feb?? Also, what are the plans?? Give me a call tomorrow or send me a PM... After tomorrow I will prob not be online or available by phone till the 26th

Tom

Sir. Nate 02-05-2008 11:35 AM

alright, the sensor is bad, I'm still pulling the same code. anyone have a cheap replacement?

TomsSVX 02-05-2008 11:55 AM

not with that clip... you can rewire the one I have

Tom

Sir. Nate 02-05-2008 06:31 PM

---->pm sent

Sir. Nate 02-21-2008 02:15 PM

Okay, I got the sensor in the mail today. Let's see if it solves my problem.