The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   heat/air condition temp (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58344)

Jvan 09-24-2011 04:23 PM

heat/air condition temp

Have a problem maintaining constant temp. While the car is moving, the blower will blow hot air when set to heat and cold air when set to air conditioner but if you stop at a traffic light or in stop/go traffic, the blower will blow ambient temp. air when you stop. As soon as you start moving, the heat or air conditioning will return. Any suggestion as to cause?

Uncamitzi 09-24-2011 05:15 PM

Re: heat/air condition temp

Check your coolant level #1

Jvan 09-24-2011 06:16 PM

Coolant level is normal. The coolant temp. is always normal, it's just the temp. of the air that changes when I stop and then it goes back to whatever temp. I've set when I start moving.

Pav625 07-20-2013 03:23 PM

Any solution to this? I'm having a similar issue. Air seems to slowly cool the interior (talking about over a long duration, highway driving mostly), nothing impressive like before, but when stopped it warms up noticeably. I have the unfortunate luck of owning a 92 with the R12 refrigerant, so I'm wondering what my options are considering R12 costs are high & I don't have a license to deal with the stuff.

bishop 07-20-2013 03:53 PM

Just top it up with r134a, it shouldn't do any damage. My car on the other hand has a leak somewhere so it wont hold refrigerant and im having the dealership go through the car to find and fix it, my dad keeps a little bit of r12 on hand so i can recharge it once its fixed.

Alex-svx 07-21-2013 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pav625 (Post 726220)
Any solution to this? I'm having a similar issue. Air seems to slowly cool the interior (talking about over a long duration, highway driving mostly), nothing impressive like before, but when stopped it warms up noticeably. I have the unfortunate luck of owning a 92 with the R12 refrigerant, so I'm wondering what my options are considering R12 costs are high & I don't have a license to deal with the stuff.

I also have this ''problem'' whit mine cars. My old chevy subruban and 92 svx have R12 refrigerant. But i have find this produck and i should try this on my chevy. My svx still blows cold air. :cool:
http://www.es-refrigerants.com/produ...it/details.asp

SVX_MY_BABY 07-22-2013 07:08 AM

R12a refrigerant works well. Compatible with both R12 ans 134, although there is a caveat to drain the old stuff prior to use.. It's available under various brand names.

A word of caution. The leak stop product will destroy a service tech's equipment if it's in the system when evacuated.

Pav625 07-23-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY (Post 726284)
R12a refrigerant works well. Compatible with both R12 ans 134, although there is a caveat to drain the old stuff prior to use.. It's available under various brand names.

A word of caution. The leak stop product will destroy a service tech's equipment if it's in the system when evacuated.

So R12a can be added to existing system with plain R12, or are you saying all the existing R12 needs to be collected & then filled with R12a?

I don't mind trying to tackle a challenge here or there, but I'm the village idiot when it comes to refrigerant & don't want to cause any damage to the car :o

Conn SVX 07-23-2013 11:27 AM

You will end up discharging the system, ( against the lawn to allow it to just go out into the atmosphere ) less you can change the connectors with out loosing coolant. The 12 and 134 are different connectors. Mine was converted and works great. Leaks are usually O rings.

SVX_MY_BABY 07-23-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pav625 (Post 726326)
So R12a can be added to existing system with plain R12, or are you saying all the existing R12 needs to be collected & then filled with R12a?

I don't mind trying to tackle a challenge here or there, but I'm the village idiot when it comes to refrigerant & don't want to cause any damage to the car :o

Technically to comply with regulations you should evacuate the system. In reality a top up works fine, barring a major leak.
http://www.redtek.com/win_12a_faq.html

Tapani 07-28-2013 12:07 AM

Do your fans run?

If you lose a/c cooling at stand still and it works fine when car is moving maybe there's no air flow across the condenser?

/T

Pav625 07-29-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapani (Post 726425)
Do your fans run?

If you lose a/c cooling at stand still and it works fine when car is moving maybe there's no air flow across the condenser?

Good question. I just bought some r134a, but I'll check this first when I get a chance since I forgot to grab an adapter when I picked up the refrigerant. Thanks for the tip!!