The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need info on 2.5 lt SUB motor (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51720)

robinhoodof she 09-17-2009 10:56 PM

Need info on 2.5 lt SUB motor

Any one got a good site or chat room for info on a 2.5 lt motor ? My son's Legacy is rapp'n on a rod bearing just a bit & I'm thinking of replacing the bearings while the motor is still in the car.
Any info would be great...thanks.....

SilverSpear 09-17-2009 11:07 PM

Re: Need info on 2.5 lt SUB motor

Hello Robin,

Please if you can edit your post or continue typing in normal font/color that would be great.

I wouldn't recommend changing the bearings while the engine is still in, because the crankshaft might need to be machined/polished.

You can check nasioc.com for more WRX/Legacy info.

Hocrest 09-18-2009 04:26 AM

Another great sight for Legacy info is http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/

I have no idea how bad your noise is, but there have been numerous times with Subaru flat 4's where "rod knock" was something much less severe like valve tap or timing belt idlers...

huck369 09-18-2009 05:16 AM

In the The 2.5, Piston slap is pretty common, and can sometimes be miss-diagnosed as a rod knock....just a thought...

Blacky 09-18-2009 05:49 AM

If you have arms like an octupus you can do it but otherwise pulling the motor is the way to go.
Changing the spark plugs on my Outback is bad enough.

svxpert 09-18-2009 09:27 AM

<< I'm thinking of replacing the bearings while the motor is still in the car. >>

you need to split the case to do bearings and thats not going to happen in the car. give us more info on the car and problems...

benebob 09-18-2009 02:49 PM

a 2.2 will make a wonderful upgrade;)

Hondasucks 09-20-2009 01:45 AM

I second the piston slap, those are known for it due to the skirtless pistons. There IS a warranty extension on them but I do not know the details, but you might be able to call your local Subaru dealer and they might be able to tell you.

And you will most definitely not be able to replace the bearings with the engine in the car, splitting the case requires removal of the cylinder heads, which you cannot do with the engine in the car. (Unless it's a single cam 2.5, but even then you'd still need to pull it to split the case.)

trophy956 09-20-2009 06:43 AM

hi you dont say what engine and double or single over head cam engine ,both have knocks ,you need to split the block to put crankshafts in either one
99 stag 2 sigle over head cam engines have a L/s piston noise because of a mistake in sizing them in the factory ,its covered 5y/60 in the us on cars 99 to 2004 and 2006 on baja,amd in not sure if that was covered outside of the USA

Hondasucks 09-20-2009 11:26 AM

If it's piston slap, you don't need to split the case to replace the pistons. You do however need a slide hammer to get the piston pins out.

trophy956 09-20-2009 11:35 AM

no you dont have to split the case to put pistons in ,you dont need a slide hammer to change pistons either ,piston pins have to come out either way ,the factory tool is a slide hammer type ,but if you dont have one take the rist pin access plug out from the other side piston and knock it out ,to get a piston out bring it to the top of the cylinder with the pin removed then turn the crank back ,rotate the piston 60deg in its bore then use the crank to push it out ,i do i this way at least once a week

Green1995SVX 09-20-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondasucks (Post 618398)
I second the piston slap, those are known for it due to the skirtless pistons. There IS a warranty extension on them but I do not know the details, but you might be able to call your local Subaru dealer and they might be able to tell you.

And you will most definitely not be able to replace the bearings with the engine in the car, splitting the case requires removal of the cylinder heads, which you cannot do with the engine in the car. (Unless it's a single cam 2.5, but even then you'd still need to pull it to split the case.)

I agree that splitting the case will require removal, but I disagree with you regarding removing the heads with the engine in the car. It can be accomplished on a 2.5 Dual by taking off the motor mount nuts and jacking up the side of the engine that you're working on. :)

Mike

trophy956 09-20-2009 02:05 PM

yes all engines ,including svx heads are removed with the engine in the car ,ive even put front pistons in with the engine in

Hondasucks 09-20-2009 09:41 PM

I've done single cam 2.5s with the engine in the car, but I've never seen a quad cam done in the car, I'll have to ask my master tech and see if he's ever done it in the car, cuz he always pulls the engine to do the 4 cam engine.

robinhoodof she 09-22-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinhoodof she (Post 618141)
Any one got a good site or chat room for info on a 2.5 lt motor ? My son's Legacy is rapp'n on a rod bearing just a bit & I'm thinking of replacing the bearings while the motor is still in the car.
Any info would be great...thanks.....

Hey thanks guy's for all the suggestions, just logged on here now...been work'n late everynight...
So these are common for piston slap....hummmm car is a 99 with 160,000 miles, few weeks ago I heard "something", sounded like bottom end noise but was'nt sure. week later he told me it overheated on the way home (never did this before) so I assumed it was the waterpump...previous sound seemed to come from the drivers side front area. When I pulled off the front end I found that the belt, idler & water pump had recently been replaced. Had a journeyman mechanic come over & listen & he figures it's bottom end. But you guys could be right piston slaps a possibility.
But I don't know why it overheated...could be a relay or sensor...will have to look into further....THANKS AGAIN!!!!
oh it is dohc...can I swap any motor in it's place???????