The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   97 red svx NOT SO SPECIAL now (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45763)

anthonybuchanan 08-08-2008 09:33 AM

97 red svx NOT SO SPECIAL now

I cant put my svx into gear from park.

I hardly drive it and noticed approx 4 months ago that when I started the car up and moved the shifter from 'P'ark to 'D'rive, the shifter would move forward into 'N'eutral and I couldnt move anymore. It engaged/clicked into 'N'eutral very well.

To get around this problem I would put it in 2nd (down 1 from 'D'rive) and it would then move forward into 'D'rive. It seemed to reluctantly engage/click into 'D'rive but it was still in 'D'rive.

I never noticed any transmission problems while driving just shifter problems.

Now though the car will not leave 'P'ark and let me shift into any of the gears.

Does anyone have insight or recommendations into this problem ?

I'de be grateful for any feedback.

Hocrest 08-08-2008 09:44 AM

Re: 97 red svx NOT SO SPECIAL now

Either your shift lock module is bad or your shifter cable is rusty/corroded.

From the problem 4 months ago, I'd guess shifter cable...

anthonybuchanan 08-08-2008 10:35 AM

Are these two expensive ?

The shift lock module and the shifter cable.

RSVX 08-08-2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan (Post 559357)

How about you put it in the proper forum?

Never mind, I will take care of that.

Thread moved to Tech Q&A.

subeman90 08-08-2008 11:49 AM

don't problems like this really kill the value of the car though? Non origional shift locks and shifter cables really do add to the depreciation I hear. :lol::tard::bash:

anthonybuchanan 08-08-2008 12:48 PM

Really sucks.

SVX92-97 08-08-2008 12:50 PM

Funny how the best red 97 for sale in the World, cant even get out of its own way.:rolleyes:

TomsSVX 08-08-2008 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan (Post 559357)
I cant put my svx into gear from park.

I hardly drive it and noticed approx 4 months ago that when I started the car up and moved the shifter from 'P'ark to 'D'rive, the shifter would move forward into 'N'eutral and I couldnt move anymore. It engaged/clicked into 'N'eutral very well.

To get around this problem I would put it in 2nd (down 1 from 'D'rive) and it would then move forward into 'D'rive. It seemed to reluctantly engage/click into 'D'rive but it was still in 'D'rive.

I never noticed any transmission problems while driving just shifter problems.

Now though the car will not leave 'P'ark and let me shift into any of the gears.

Does anyone have insight or recommendations into this problem ?

Back on topic...

Can you press the shifter button on the shifter all the way in??

if yes, it is most likely you shifter cable seized up.

if no, it is likely the shift lock controller has gone south and needs to be replaced.

It could also be a combination of the two but let us know

Tom

RSVX 08-08-2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subeman90 (Post 559370)
don't problems like this really kill the value of the car though? Non origional shift locks and shifter cables really do add to the depreciation I hear. :lol::tard::bash:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX92-97 (Post 559376)
Funny how the best red 97 for sale in the World, cant even get out of its own way.:rolleyes:

He has a legitimate problem, he asked a legitimate question.

These two posts are uncalled for.:mad:

Lets keep this on topic.

anthonybuchanan 08-08-2008 03:14 PM

Thanks so far for the great help guys.

TomsSVX, Ill try it when I get home.

Anyone have an idea what shift lock controller and shift cable cost ?

subeman90 08-08-2008 03:21 PM

just buy used. If you go to the dealer they are going to screw you $$$ wise or get you the wrong parts. I'm sure one of the folks on here has some spare parts they would sell you for a decent price.

you really need to know what is exactly the issue though...like someone said if you can't depress the button on the shifter then that is a shiftlock issue (which could be bypassed and driven as is)

There is that better for being on topic mods? :D

anthonybuchanan 08-08-2008 03:40 PM

Thanks.

How is shift lock bypassed ?

subeman90 08-08-2008 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan (Post 559393)
Thanks.

How is shift lock bypassed ?

That I can't tell ya cause I would need to see it to do it. I'm sure either Hocrest (who is the one who told me you can bypass this) or even YT would be more help here then I am. Also, if I remember correctly back in the Legacy days they had a fuse for this function...not sure if the SVX does but it might be worth a look just to make sure it isn't something really hella easy to deal with if applicable.

TomsSVX 08-08-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subeman90 (Post 559395)
That I can't tell ya cause I would need to see it to do it. I'm sure either Hocrest (who is the one who told me you can bypass this) or even YT would be more help here then I am. Also, if I remember correctly back in the Legacy days they had a fuse for this function...not sure if the SVX does but it might be worth a look just to make sure it isn't something really hella easy to deal with if applicable.

I am sure it could be bypassed... But why?? It would keep the solenoid engaged all the time...

Just replace the controller... it is under the center console near the parking brake handle.

Tom

subeman90 08-08-2008 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 559417)
I am sure it could be bypassed... But why?? It would keep the solenoid engaged all the time...

Just replace the controller... it is under the center console near the parking brake handle.

Tom

if it was bypassed he could see if that was the issue or not.