The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A.C. Compressor - 2 quick questions...? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45085)

svxcess95 06-10-2008 04:15 PM

A.C. Compressor - 2 quick questions...?

Hello All,

I hit the wall with something and wanted to see if anyone here had some info that could help me out. I went to go recharge my refrigerant this weekend. I hooked it up to the low side and filled up. After filling, I heard / noticed I had a small leak (I heard a hissing noise and saw condensation forming) right where the high side of the loop comes back into the compressor. Is there an "o-ring" at this location that could have gone bad? I didn't want to unscrew the high side before I knew for sure because I wasn't sure if the system is under pressure and if it is, how to repressurize it. Any thoughts?

Hocrest 06-10-2008 04:23 PM

Yes, there is an O-Ring between the pipe and the compressor.

If there's a leak, the pressure won't be high for very long after the car is off. While the system is open, I'd suggest changing the low side O-ring also.

svxcess95 06-10-2008 04:51 PM

Excellent! One more question (sorry)...

Don't suppose anyone knows where the valve is located in the AC system for me to hook a gauge up to? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

kwren 06-10-2008 05:11 PM

is right there on the suction line by the compressor

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess95 (Post 551430)
Don't suppose anyone knows where the valve is located in the AC system for me to hook a gauge up to? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

:)////////////////

oab_au 06-10-2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 551435)
:)////////////////

Under the little blue caps.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/oab_au/38497.jpg

Harvey.

svxcess95 06-10-2008 06:03 PM

Doh!

So I can gauge from the fill location? Don't I feel dumb! I had a pen gauge and I figured since it was too big to fit in the hole, it had to go somewhere else (get your mind outta' the gutter). :o Bottom line though: I CAN check the pressure from where I fill? Man, this car... I love it

kwren 06-10-2008 06:17 PM

the refrigerant charging hose...

...Should have a needle valve built in it to depress the valve when you screw it on the fitting. I would charge with gas, not liquid, (with the engine running and the AC turned to cold)and when the frost starts getting close to the compressor on the line it should be good. If you overcharge it will cycle off because of the pressure sensor in the high side.

Keith:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess95 (Post 551446)
So I can gauge from the fill location? Don't I feel dumb! I had a pen gauge and I figured since it was too big to fit in the hole, it had to go somewhere else (get your mind outta' the gutter). :o Bottom line though: I CAN check the pressure from where I fill? Man, this car... I love it

Hondasucks 06-10-2008 08:11 PM

Do it right, use a gauge, charge it to ~30 psi on the low side. Best way is to use a set of manifold gauges so you can monitor the high side. DO NOT attempt to fill from the high side as it will make the refrigerant can explode! (That 30 psi is with the system RUNNING. It will jump when you add the refrigerant, and then if you turn the can valve off it will drop as the refrigerant is cycled through.) Should take about a pound and a half from dead empty. Best thing to do is get one of the cans that has the oil and everything mixed in already, as no oil = toasted compressor.

kwren 06-10-2008 09:04 PM

Do it right!

You can "do it right" my way or "do it right" Hondasucks way.
Either way will get you by.
However, the pressure in the system will very with different outside temperature. I suppose it does help in doing it my way to have 55 years of my own refrigeration and air conditioning business. That does make it pretty easy for me to tell by the frost line and all those years of training certainly helps also. Cars are really simple. I wasn't thinking that for an unexperienced person, the 30 lb thingie might be easier and for sure you will have it close enough! Might not be easy for just a mechanic that works on everything either. Just be safe! Sorry if I misled you.

And... If your system gets low with a small small leak, you won't need a can with oil in it for that.

Keith :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondasucks (Post 551477)
Do it right, use a gauge, charge it to ~30 psi on the low side. Best way is to use a set of manifold gauges so you can monitor the high side. DO NOT attempt to fill from the high side as it will make the refrigerant can explode! (That 30 psi is with the system RUNNING. It will jump when you add the refrigerant, and then if you turn the can valve off it will drop as the refrigerant is cycled through.) Should take about a pound and a half from dead empty. Best thing to do is get one of the cans that has the oil and everything mixed in already, as no oil = toasted compressor.

svxcess95 06-11-2008 06:34 AM

Yikes...

You are both gentlemen and scholars (thanks)! Dumb question (another one): when I took the high-side hose and fitting off the compressor there wasn't a true o-ring there (it wasn't rubber). It was more like a plastic spacer of some sort (I'd attach a picture but it is just the black ring :stupid:). Is this the only thing I should be replacing or should there be an o-ring at this location in tandem with the plastic spacer ring?

svxcess95 06-11-2008 01:20 PM

Yikes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are both gentlemen and scholars (thanks)! Dumb question (another one): when I took the high-side hose and fitting off the compressor there wasn't a true o-ring there (it wasn't rubber). It was more like a plastic spacer of some sort (I'd attach a picture but it is just the black ring ). Is this the only thing I should be replacing or should there be an o-ring at this location in tandem with the plastic spacer ring?

kwren 06-11-2008 01:55 PM

if was plastic...

...probably correct might get a sub dealer to look for the part for that?

Hang in there!!!!

Keith:)

svxcess95 06-11-2008 04:04 PM

Thanks Keith...

Thank you Keith, the 105 degree heat isn't helping though.:b&:

Hondasucks 06-11-2008 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess95 (Post 551530)
You are both gentlemen and scholars (thanks)! Dumb question (another one): when I took the high-side hose and fitting off the compressor there wasn't a true o-ring there (it wasn't rubber). It was more like a plastic spacer of some sort (I'd attach a picture but it is just the black ring :stupid:). Is this the only thing I should be replacing or should there be an o-ring at this location in tandem with the plastic spacer ring?

Probably just an old O-Ring, they tend to get hard after a while. You can get them from the Subaru dealer, but you can also just get an O-Ring assortment from Autozone for like $5 or so. That's what I did when I converted my Legacy to R-134a.