The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   engine pinging bad!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44981)

awdbaby 06-03-2008 06:56 PM

engine pinging bad!!

Hello everyone! My svx has never let out a ping for the 230,000 miles until now. I have replaced fuel filter with subaru filter, replaced knock sensors and run 93 octane fuel with booster. It still pings loud!!!:confused: Pings at low thottle normally when it shifts to next gear and then goes away with more foot. EGR valve?? Before I buy more sensors etc I thought to see if anyone had this happen. I have looked through the forums. The Engine runs smooth-strong and gas milage is good! thanks, steve

Hocrest 06-03-2008 07:31 PM

A cracked flex plate can sometimes sound like a pinging engine.

oab_au 06-03-2008 11:48 PM

Yeh not pinging.

It would get worse not better with more throttle, must be something else.

Harvey.

TomsSVX 06-03-2008 11:54 PM

When the flex plate cracks, in neutrals states and in coasting it will make more noise than when pressure is applied...

Clap you hands... they make noise.... Now hold your hands together... What kind of noise does it make?

Tom

YourConfused 06-04-2008 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 550428)
When the flex plate cracks, in neutrals states and in coasting it will make more noise than when pressure is applied...

Clap you hands... they make noise.... Now hold your hands together... What kind of noise does it make?

Tom

hahahahahaha
will the real slim shady please stand up...
(way to make him feel like a tard)
A great way to make a point and I am not trying to piss in some koolaid here cause that's an accurate description of the facts.

So yeah, what tom said is truth.

awdbaby 06-04-2008 05:37 AM

Tom thanks for the humor!:lol: No biggy I have a good sense of humor and what you said does make sense. Just to say the engine is very quiet at idle and coasting warm or hot. You would think I would hear it at idle when I give it thottle! I will see it I see cracks from the bottom which I doubt I can. If cracked its probably where I cant see it.
thanks guys

TomsSVX 06-04-2008 07:23 AM

Whats so funny???:confused::confused: I was trying to find a simple way to explain it... that was what I thought of.:confused:

Tom

SVXRide 06-04-2008 07:25 AM

If it's cracked, you definitely can't see it. The crack is actually a circular one where the flexplate contacts the flange on the end of the engine crank. Best bet is to get under the car and listen right under the rear of the engine.

Can you make a movie of your engine making the noise and post it to YouTube? You can then link it back to the Network and we can actually listen.

-Bill

awdbaby 06-04-2008 08:25 AM

I have the day off so I am trying now to find problem. I went under car with a stethoscope and everything sounds good!:confused: Even if I rev it up high no noise!! Could it still be the problem?? It only does it when driving when it shifts when you have the initial low rpm. I would just like to try what I can before I pull the trans. Thanks

TomsSVX 06-04-2008 08:39 AM

If you can, swing by the shop and I will take a listen...

Tom

awdbaby 06-04-2008 09:51 AM

Hey tom thanks for the offer I might take you up on that. My brother is coming over after work to drive and I will sit on engine to find where noise is coming from. This will be a site and least i dont have to go fast! I can have a drive plate from subaru parts for the weekend if I order by 3.00. iF there is anything else you can think of would be thankful. Also if you would I need address to shop if I decide to come up.
thanks, steve

TomsSVX 06-04-2008 11:01 AM

you can get directions on our site www.allwelldrive.net

My number is also listed there if you want to call

Tom