The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   oil change question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27233)

Jayahalasi 07-08-2005 09:42 PM

oil change question

Going to change my oil this weekend... I've Never done this before. I want to test out Mob1l's 15000 mile oil.

what viscosity of oil do i need to use
5w-30?

also what kind of oil filter should I get?

thanks sorry for being a "tard", I'm Just new to this stuff

Khalil 07-08-2005 09:59 PM

I allways use 10w-30.. When u goto the store, they should be able to tell you which filter you need, or there will be a book that can tell you.

Jayahalasi 07-08-2005 10:00 PM

I guess worse case scenario I can Take it off First and take it down there and match it up....

Still If anyone knows What kind lemme know

RedHotSVX 07-08-2005 10:46 PM

Oil Filter

I use Fram filter's on mine,along with Valvoline oil....10w-30.
The Fram # is 3593...go here to decide which 3593 filter you would like to use...http://www.fram.com/

914helo 07-08-2005 11:00 PM

Remember the SVX takes more oil than most cars so make sure your drip pan is large enough. ;) You don't want your pan to be full and to still have oil coming out (been there done that on a different car!)

ensteele 07-09-2005 12:24 AM

Oh yes, the good ol school of hard knocks! :D :D :D

alia176 07-09-2005 09:23 AM

Unless your engine has NO leaks, I wouldn't go over to synthetic just yet! As soon as you switch over to M1 synthetic, you're going to experience even more oil leaks. I'm a big fan of Puralotor or Mobile filters. I haven't use FRAM filters for any of my vehicles as of eight years or so. Just my opinion.

n00b on demand 07-09-2005 10:33 AM

mobile high mileage oil is good ****!

ensteele 07-09-2005 10:38 AM

I would agree with the Puralotor filters unless you are going to use a Subaru filter. I use both of these. Soneone gave a link to a review of filters and the Puralotor was rated far better than the Fram. I use a dino/synthetic mix - 10 - 30 oil and change at 3,000 miles. jmo :)

Beav 07-09-2005 12:02 PM

I think given that today's engines run soooo much cleaner than yesteryears' did, due to efi and electronic ignition, that oil choice isn't quite as important as it used to be, ditto for filters. If you are changing the oil and filter at 3,000 mile intervals and aren't using the cheapest stuff on the shelf you'll probably do just fine. I agree that synthetics and blends are great, but are they really necessary and/or cost efficient?

However, oil weight is more important as most OEMs have employed designs that make use of lighter oils to save fuel. These designs, such as low-tension piston rings depend on the correct oil in order to survive. Ask a Saturn owner if their engine leaks or burns oil. If they say "yes", I'll bet they don't adhere to a very ridgid maintenance schedule nor they use the wrong oil. Saturn isn't the only make to employ these designs but they are notorious for these problems. Also consider that engines designed for lighter oils have different hydraulic lifter/follower designs -misfiring and burnt valves can occur as the devices can't always bleed down as quickly as they should, holding the valves slightly above their seats when they should be fully closed.

Manarius 07-09-2005 02:45 PM

Yeah, I think the SVX takes like 6 quarts (most drip pans are not that big). Funny, the SVX takes the same fram filter as my legacy does...similar engine design though.

I myself run 20-50w only because I have a leaky gasket somewhere and heavy oil means I lose less over time. It's killer on gas mileage, but I think my new Bosch 4+ spark plugs make up for that.

ensteele 07-09-2005 03:55 PM

I went into the store the other day to get an oil filter for my Outback and found that it takes the same one as the SVX. Yes, I was a little surprised too. :)

rhhnx 07-09-2005 04:47 PM

Personally I like the K&N HP 1004 oil filter. the nut welded on the end makes it a lot easier to get the filter off.

Manarius 07-09-2005 05:23 PM

Getting the oil filter off is rather easy. I can get it off with my hand. The problem is, the way the filter sits, as soon as you undo it, you get oil all over your hands.

thundering02 07-09-2005 06:09 PM

Try working at Valvoline I do that all day... most times after running for quite sometime :mad: And if any body buys a pontiac sunfire and asks me to change the filter for them be suprised if you don't get shot.