The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   thinking about a forester (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50949)

dennyo 07-13-2009 06:18 PM

thinking about a forester

thinking about a 98 forester with 53000 on it. i don't know much about these,at least not as much as my svx.maybe someone can give me the good/bad on these models? don't know much about the history of it other than this is the second owner(friend) so i trust them.haven't driven it either but if they are to much trouble i won't bother test driving. any tips anyone?

Manarius 07-13-2009 07:19 PM

Re: thinking about a forester

If I recall, that MY has the Phase I EJ25 with DOHC. These are known to blow headgaskets due to poor design at the factory level. Other than that, they're just an Impreza that sits taller.

demonsvx 07-13-2009 09:03 PM

Get a 2002 or newer Forester XT and you'll be much happier due to design upgrade and if you can find one with under 100k miles Subaru has to fix all the 2.5 headgasket issues as part of a recall for free.

BoxerFanatic 07-13-2009 09:51 PM

I hate to even whisper this....

But if my Legacy were to meet an untimely end, and I DON'T want that...

I would be sorely tempted to take the insurance money, and buy a full-option 2003-2005 Forester non-turbo with a 5-speed manual, and 50/50 AWD, and kit it for winter and work. maybe even brush bars and fender flares, and such... (maybe an H6 engine and driveline conversion, if money were available for it. Good torque, less peaky, and cheaper to maintain than an EJ25 turbo, like my Legacy GT...)

And take the rest, and either fully restore and make my SVX fantastic... or just flip it (good leather driver's seat, and a new clear-coat job, and a main catalyzer, and a detail job... to get the car back into truly solid shape), sell that one to someone who needs a good, cool daily driver...

and then buy a VERY nice SVX that needs a little less work to be truly fantastic, or is already at that point. Maybe one that already has a 6MT/Torsen rear diff transplant done.

Every time I think that, I look at my Legacy, and I do still love that car, too. If only I had the money to REALLY treat her right, with an AVO turbo, Bilstein struts, Red Spec B Leather seats... and some other nice touches...

It always comes down to the $$$$$$.... :sigh:

Landshark 07-13-2009 10:40 PM

i've been looking at 928's on Autotrader, and considering a beater Impreza or Legacy as a winter ride. :rolleyes::eek:

i could come away with those two cheaper than an EVO X MR, which i was considering as my next car.

oh yeah, don't know much about the earlier Foresters other than a guy at work put 299K miles on his before he hit a deer and destroyed it. he bought a new Forester the next day.

i'm rambling, aren't i? :confused:

Royal Tiger 07-14-2009 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark (Post 609526)
i've been looking at 928's on Autotrader, and considering a beater Impreza or Legacy as a winter ride. :rolleyes::eek:

i could come away with those two cheaper than an EVO X MR, which i was considering as my next car.

oh yeah, don't know much about the earlier Foresters other than a guy at work put 299K miles on his before he hit a deer and destroyed it. he bought a new Forester the next day.

i'm rambling, aren't i? :confused:

Another 928? Damn I hate you! :)

We had 120k+ on our 2000 when a deer killed it and bought a brand new 2007 as soon as the check showed up. Wife LOVES her Foresters. She still misses the 2000 from time to time. Of course she got her hands on a 2009 and now wants the bigger one! :D

immortal_suby 07-14-2009 08:33 PM

I can't help but recommend a 2004+ XT turbo forester fitted with an STI rear swaybar.

You will smile every time you drive it. Those ugly little boxes move!