The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   sound fair? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34748)

92SVXLS-LDC 08-14-2006 11:12 PM

sound fair?

okay, so i'll give you some background...
i have cingular wireless...
my home is in elk river
my school is in duluth 2+ hours away

i bought my wireless plan with the understanding i would have coverage in duluth, i was told by the sales rep, back in november... so i bought a smartphone, and a pretty hefty plan... and accessories...256mb card for that phone, and car charger... ya know, basic stuff...

well, in may (oddly enough when i got BACK from school) i recieved a letter telling me i was using other company's satelites too much, and if i continued to use my phone outside of (cingular's) network area, i would pay fee's and what-not... well whatever, i was back for the summer and there would be no more using it out of their network till school starts again

turns out, theres a new policy that you have to be in your providers satellite area 50% or more of the time... well if anybody knows how a school year works... 9mos. in school and 3mos. home... thats no good for me

today i got a letter saying i would have to find another provider since they were going to cancel me, and i got a little pissed... (sure i put it off all summer but i HAVE in fact been in their network area for the past 3mos.)

so i called 'em up, ready to yell, and i was a little agrivated... after just a little bit, (and i really mean just a little bit) of negotiating, i was offered 1/2 of what my smartphone was worth BEFORE rebates, + full compensation for accesories... +credit for my next providers activation fee...
which comes up to just over $250... i payed 99 for the phone after rebate and the memory card was a gift...

it urks me that they can cancel my 2yr CONTRACT at will... but to be honest, i think they handled it relatively well, with new policy and all... think its fair? OHH!!!
AND! they are going to unlock my phone, for free, so i can transfer my smartphone over to another provider, and pocket their reimbursment

what do you guys think?

RSVX 08-15-2006 09:19 AM

I think you made out like a bandit.

Seriously.

Electrophil 08-15-2006 10:24 AM

Sounds like the company is trying to be fair. I think this was a case of an uninformed sales person trying to land the deal at the beginning.

subi-crosser 08-16-2006 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92SVXLS-LDC
okay, so i'll give you some background...
i have cingular wireless...
my home is in elk river
my school is in duluth 2+ hours away

i bought my wireless plan with the understanding i would have coverage in duluth, i was told by the sales rep, back in november... so i bought a smartphone, and a pretty hefty plan... and accessories...256mb card for that phone, and car charger... ya know, basic stuff...

well, in may (oddly enough when i got BACK from school) i recieved a letter telling me i was using other company's satelites too much, and if i continued to use my phone outside of (cingular's) network area, i would pay fee's and what-not... well whatever, i was back for the summer and there would be no more using it out of their network till school starts again

turns out, theres a new policy that you have to be in your providers satellite area 50% or more of the time... well if anybody knows how a school year works... 9mos. in school and 3mos. home... thats no good for me

today i got a letter saying i would have to find another provider since they were going to cancel me, and i got a little pissed... (sure i put it off all summer but i HAVE in fact been in their network area for the past 3mos.)

so i called 'em up, ready to yell, and i was a little agrivated... after just a little bit, (and i really mean just a little bit) of negotiating, i was offered 1/2 of what my smartphone was worth BEFORE rebates, + full compensation for accesories... +credit for my next providers activation fee...
which comes up to just over $250... i payed 99 for the phone after rebate and the memory card was a gift...

it urks me that they can cancel my 2yr CONTRACT at will... but to be honest, i think they handled it relatively well, with new policy and all... think its fair? OHH!!!
AND! they are going to unlock my phone, for free, so i can transfer my smartphone over to another provider, and pocket their reimbursment

what do you guys think?

My provider would have SHOVED IT TO MY RIBCAGE, AND BROKE IT OFFF!!!
I might have to look at Cingular next time!

SSSVX 08-16-2006 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subi-crosser

Do you have Cingular service over there, Jerry? We don't :rolleyes:

SSSVX 08-16-2006 01:28 AM

I think it's fair. :) They should let you out of the contract for a good reason.

What kind of smart phone are you using?

I started using smartphone almost a year ago. I bought the 6600, after 9 months, there's some problems with the connector to the phone...since there's out of stock for the 6600 and my service provider replaced me the latest 6700 that supports highspeed wireless and the better designs without signing any contract...I was happy too. :cool:

92SVXLS-LDC 08-16-2006 02:39 PM

audiovox smt 5600 i like it, its pretty beat up now though, i'll pocket the money, and switch the phone to another service (t-mobile probably)

NapaBavarian 08-16-2006 07:22 PM

Something is wrong here, phone companies are suposed to beat you silly with charges, not offer you money :confused: every time I try to talk to them because THEY screwed up they tell me that I am an ijiot and can enjoy being screwed on both ends :mad: are you sure that you got the actual phone company :confused:

92SVXLS-LDC 08-17-2006 12:17 AM

oh dont worry, i've paid my dues to this company... on more than one occasion i've seen a bill over $200 for overages... and several in the $100's... they cant even accept a payment right either...

however, it really sounded like i am one of the first (maybe THE! first... ) occasion where they had to enforce this "new" policy... and they better be nice, they are cancelling my contract without any line in the contract saying they can do it, seeing as i signed the contract last november, and this may they started the new policy

Landshark 08-17-2006 01:05 AM

demand more crap - they want to cancel a legally binding contract! :D

Electrophil 08-17-2006 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark
demand more crap - they want to cancel a legally binding contract! :D

Good point.

So that's why they are being so nice. The jerks! :mad:

Otherwise, they would be doing as they always do.

NapaBavarian 08-17-2006 01:46 PM

Now I understand, they are paying for the other services satalite time and it will cost them more money than paying you off, I say you insist on more schidit too :cool:

92SVXLS-LDC 08-17-2006 03:03 PM

exactly, but to be honest, i thought it seemed pretty fair 'cept the whole part about my family being with cingular still... so i dont get free mobile 2 mobile minutes

green_eyed_lady 08-18-2006 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subi-crosser

Jerry,

I just switched from Cingular to U.S. Schmellular only because Cingular cannot offer me a local number as we are not "their market area". I was so happy with Cingular's price, service, and phones that I kept my Pittsburgh number for two years after I moved here.

I guess it's a good thing I changed, because I was NEVER in my home area.